Stranger rung our doorbell & doesn't leave

A combination of ringing the doorbell + knocking, wouldn't you call it quits & leave if it's been 5 minutes? In bed, we can open our ring doorbell app & saw the man. He was quite suspicious - examining our door, feeling the door & looking at the windows. It was all strange, so my fiancé changed, hurried downstairs. And, the man was still there. My fiancé opened the window & asked what he needed? The man replied: Work, looking for work? My fiancé said: There's no work. The man hesitated and finally left. Has this ever happened to you? Normally if people are advertising their business, they would just place a business card at the door, or door hanger. This man had no vehicle in sight & was just holding his phone/keys.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
I also read from one of the myLotter here the same as you experienced, she was with her laptop when she heard her door bell ring and a knock, she did not expect anyone so she did not open the door.
I don't open the door for strangers/people I don't know. I would talk behind the door or like my fiancé he opened the window only.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
@infatuatedbby Good thing he did not open the door.
@JustBhem Yeah we don't not safe nowadays.
@alberello75 (22837)
• Genova, Italy
Actually, a person looking for work, is highly probably that he does't have a car! But nowadays, (unfortunately), we must be wary of everyone. But perhaps among these people, maybe sometimes there is someone who is truthful!
You would not look for work asking someone at their home though especially if you do not know them? And they do not have a sign out for work.
@alberello75 (22837)
• Genova, Italy
@infatuatedbby Yes, this is actually strange. Especially because you, are not a company! And then, what job could you give him? However, you must know that when I had to look for work, they told me that I have to go around the whole city and, workshop for workshop, ring bells and say if they needed a worker! Because, stay at home or sit on benches and smoking, I went on the sure that, the work, I WOULD HAVE NEVER FOUND! Indeed, as you can see, that was the result. I'm 44 years, still jobless!
@alberello75 Yes, not a company. It is residential homes here. I mean if someone was doing construction and it was obvious and they rung the doorbell and asked if there was work - that would make more sense. It isn't common at all to ring door to door unless you are a company worker and trying to sell something or a service. You are sort of working online with myLot? Do you work on any other websites for money earning?
@rakski (33950)
that is a bit scary.
It was strange, but we have the man on camera.
@rakski (33950)
@infatuatedbby and that is good
@cacay1 (42607)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@rakski, that is right, so scary. I think that man was a thief.
@1hopefulman (42967)
I haven't had an experience like that. He was looking for work and going house to house?
I don't know if he was going house to house or not. Did not see him go to any other house.
@cacay1 (42607)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@1hopefulman maybe applying for a houseboy,lol.
@1hopefulman (42967)
@infatuatedbby Something weird was going on there!
@valmnz (15520)
• New Zealand
That is rather a scary sounding situation.
It was.
@Scrapper88 (2178)
I am wondering if he was wanting to come in to steal from you,
That is on our mind also.
• Agra, India
That was strange. Maybe he was trying to get in if no one was there in the house.
I don't know what the man's intentions were. But there is always someone home, if not we have the doorbell camera.
• Agra, India
@infatuatedbby this is good. It is always better to be cautious.
@amitkokiladitya Yes definitely, it is safer to be cautious.
@moffittjc (56776)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would have said to the guy, "It takes me 7 seconds to load this 9mm handgun I'm holding. That's how long you have to get the hell off my property."
I don't think the man was fluent in English because he kept repeating work so he may have not understood me if I said that!
@moffittjc Haha why thank you. I do have a bat! A kid's bat lol!
@moffittjc (56776)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby It doesn't matter that it's a kid's bat. It will still serve the purpose.
@ilocosboy (42808)
Oh my that could make me nervous. It could be someone who can make not good things.
Yeah, we don't know his intentions but we have their face on camera (our ring doorbell camera). This is the first time ever have I received someone ringing the doorbell and asking for work. Don't know what work there is!
@ilocosboy (42808)
That camera is very helpful
@ilocosboy Yes, indeed. We will be putting up more security cameras. I am just waiting for it to go on sale.
@amandajay (22771)
• New Zealand
Oh this annoying, you can try maximum 3 times, or else should leave.
3 times would seem a lot already especially not knowing them. 2 times max but this was in combination of knocking, ringing.
@amandajay (22771)
• New Zealand
@infatuatedbby oh that’s really annoying knocking and ringing.
He was up to no good. I'm glad your fiance didn't open the door to him.
I don't think so either. Who does that? No sign of work anywhere.
@infatuatedbby I hope he doesn't return.
@just4him Thank you. Me neither
That sounds really suspicious and creepy. We've gotten a lot of contractor type businesses at our door - all of them have their sales pitch speech if you open the door . . . but never just straight up asking for work. And if no one answered the door, they just leave some kinda of paper thing like you said. There might be a 2nd try on the knocking, but they certainly wouldn't hang out for 5 minutes . . . feeling and examining without you there is a no-no. At least you got him on camera!!
It was creepy and I have him on camera - thankfully. I checked the ring app and no one else posted. Normally people would post this type of things but nope. So far living here only 3 people rung the the doorbell. 2 of which I was not home. 1 was a church group and the other was a sales pitch person.
@infatuatedbby I have people coming to our door and knocking and then ringing the bell and I do not answer but they stay for a while and i look in the little peep hole and they finally go on to the next door but they do not leave right away.
@infatuatedbby These are people that want money.
@Hannihar Yeah usually selling something or a service.
@infatuatedbby No, at certain times a year there are very religious people that go door to door for money.
Why would he come to your place looking for work?are you hiring. I think it was odd like he may have been checking to see if any one home.
No. Not hiring. What is there to hire? Yes. I think that is the case as well.
@infatuatedbby I thought maybe he seen a sign there for work. I am glad you have the doorbell app.
@CookieMonster46 Oh no, we do not have a sign posted.
@kobesbuddy (75870)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm sure that I wouldn't open the door, for this person!
Me either!! Definitely not when I'm home alone (Rarely am I but nope).
@kobesbuddy (75870)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@infatuatedbby I just let them stand and knock, forever if they so choose:(
@kobesbuddy Actually, there was a time my mom and I let the stranger knock forever and they honestly tried to run into the door and open it. We called the cops afterwards but they left.
He could be someone down on his luck looking for work like he said. A few more questions and your mate would have got a little more info. I get knocks at the door all the time. I ask a few questions to know what they are here for. Sometimes I open the door others I don't. all over this building has cameras so I tend to feel a little safer than I would without one.
Yes, but there is no work anywhere. If there was a sign of construction or something to be done - I wonder understand ringing the doorbell and ask. But feeling the door and looking suspicious does not help. Having a camera definitely puts things at ease though.
@sharon6345 Oh yes there are nice people out here, that is for sure. I am new to this area, just moved here a few months ago. It has more crime than what I'm used (hardly any crime actually) but we have to be aware of my surroundings. I wouldn't mind too much if we had work (like if it looked like our home needed work) but it currently doesn't. If I had grass high and needed cutting or something of that nature that would be acceptable but there is nothing needing to be done.
@infatuatedbby YOu are right you need to be mindful of your surroundings. I am with you there.
I would be suspicious also, so I won't open the door myself. If i am alone I would peep from the window and ask. But if hubby is with me I will let him just peep from the window only. But in our house, no one can go inside our premises because our house is fenced and have a gate. we have big dogs in front of the garage, so they will bark defensively when there is a person at the gate. So, we can open the door from the kitchen near the garage and ask from there.
That is really safe to have a gated in home and the dogs are a great protection. Do you often get strangers ringing your doorbell?
@infatuatedbby Rarely. Though, there are beggars who would really just stand outside the gate while they are being barked at by The dogs. So, when asked they would ask for alms. We give them rice instead which they can cook and eat for how many days. Specially on Christmas time there would be people standing outside to ask for Christmas gifts.
@SIMPLYD That is really nice of you and your family. Beggars don't go home to home here (not that I know of) but my relatives in Vietnam say there are a lot.
Desperate times seem to be calling for desperate measures. Thank goodness he was just looking for work and not a victim !
That's what he said, but I don't know!
@infatuatedbby if you are still alive, nothing was taken, and you can talk about it, he was just desperate but not seemingly dangerous. Does this happen often over by you ?
@enlightenedpsych2 New in the neighborhood, so unsure if its common or not. But on the app a lot of people in the area report suspicious activity or theft.
Weird and scary, people do not go around knocking at the doors like this. At which time of the day did this happen?
It was 9AM. But in general, you don't go knocking around asking for work if there is no sign of work. I could see someone asking if there was construction being done but there's nothing and no need of any renovations.
@infatuatedbby I fully agree and you do not insist if no one comes to open the door at the first ring.
@LadyDuck Exactly. However, if it's something important like a package needing signature or something urgent you could continue ringing the doorbell but for work? Common!
• Pamplona, Spain
Yes and we never open the door not like before. On a funnier note there is a guy here who gets a bit merry and rings a doorbell but he mistakes it for his own door as he has had one too many to drink.
Lol, that is silly of the man!
• Pamplona, Spain
@infatuatedbby Well he is so merry he does not even know what floor he is on.
@lovinangelsinstead21 Lol hopefully it does not happen often!