Discovery of the A1C Testing

@kobesbuddy (75869)
East Tawas, Michigan
I'm so thankful for the discovery of the A1C test, which wasn't available twenty years ago. When I was first diagnosed with early signs of diabetes, I started to panic! It was a disease, that I'd rather not have to deal with:( I'd worked in the medical field long enough, to know the ugliness of prolonged, uncontrolled blood sugar levels. Blindness? Amputations? Kidney Failure? Heart Attack? Reading about these things frightened me! Then my doctor told me about the A1C test, that's performed in the doctor's office, every three months. He told me, that this would be my 'report card', showing him how well I'd been following the recommended, diabetic diet. Also, he told me to get some exercise each day, to keep my blood glucose within a safe range. This might sound silly, but I look forward do getting my A1C done! There's no hiding my disobedience or a lax attitude towards my condition. I'm forced to realize, how serious it is to stick to the rules Photo:NOT MINE, Borrowed from Pixabay
@CarolDM (32754)
Yes I agreee this is a great test for all to have.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Without this test, my glucose level could be all over a forty acre feed! And I wouldn't even know it:(
@CarolDM (32754)
@kobesbuddy I am familiar with the test due to a family member. It helped her as well.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@CarolDM It keeps tight reigns on this problem, it gets stopped in its tracks.
I know what you're saying about diabetes. We have friends with Type 2, as Vince has, but they haven't made any changes to their lifestyle. They will be so sorry one day. Vince tests his glucose levels and blood pressure several times a week. He also has lab tests done every three months which is probably similar to what you have.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And Vince won't experience those hideous results, that your friends will probably face. Keeping a close eye on those glucose levels, should never be taken lightly! In the long run, Vince will do just fine with this disorder. A1C is done every 3 months, to let us know if we're keeping our blood sugar at a safe level.
@kobesbuddy The changes brought about by diabetes are very insidious - just slowly advancing over time. By the time people decide it's getting serious, it's often too late.
I know that you follow the rules and walking every day is a good exercise.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
My first doctor took me off medication and my A1C went up. My new doctor said, 'She never should have done that!' then put me back on Metformin.
@kobesbuddy Some doctors make very dangerous mistakes. I am glad you changed doctor.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@LadyDuck Yes, the reason I changed doctors, the other one moved out of the clinic. Now, there's a new doctor and her office is twenty miles closer to East Tawas!
can't you tell how your blood sugar is doing by testing your blood at home daily? is there a difference between this and the A1C test?
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Actually, I do test my blood glucose three times a day. But the numbers are sometimes up and sometimes quite low. The A1C gives a diabetic the average level of glucose, over a 3 months period of time. It measures the sugar coating on the blood cells. If it's too high, that person can suffer a heart attack! Just like in school, our teacher would average all our grades out every six weeks and give us a final score.
@kobesbuddy oh i thought the at-home blood testing was the same as the A1C. that sounds like a good test if it can prevent a heart attack
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 Yes, it helps a diabetic keep a close watch, on those numbers.
I'm sure this test is extremely helpful to so many who suffer from diabetes.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This test keeps a person one jump ahead of diabetes:)
@kobesbuddy That's great and I know you are doing everything you can to control yours.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@DianneN It's not hard to do, but I get sick of this constant reminder hanging over my head.
@HazySue (30158)
It keeps me on the straight and narrow. Every time I want a dish of ice cream or a cream filled donut, I think of how my test will turn out.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, the A1C has filled a part of my sub-conscious mind! I think, 'Nope, don't want to take a chance!'
@HazySue (30158)
@kobesbuddy I know what you mean.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@HazySue Diabetes is easy to ignore, unless my disobedience is tattled on!
• Rupert, Idaho
I agree that the A1c test is a great and helpful thing for us! It's amazing how it can help us keep things in check.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
And when my blood glucose was going up, I had no way of knowing this. Then, my doctor told me about the A1C test and now, it's easy to keep track of where it's at!
• Rupert, Idaho
@kobesbuddy Oh yes, it would be hard to know what was going on without the A1c test, and glucose meters.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@MommyOfEli2013 Basically, people had no way of knowing, what level their reading were!
@divalounger (2967)
This really does help! Good for you--and keep up the good work
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Thanks, my doctor isn't lax, when it comes to her patient's health!
@kobesbuddy That is a good thing!
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@divalounger She is very on the level, asks a lot of questions and listens to what I say.
That test has to be such a great help to so many who have diabetes.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Mine is kept so closely under control, I barely realize there's a problem!
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Corbin5 I have an excellent doctor, I really like her.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
There is no harm in following the rules, even myself I am following it so it will make me better.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
As we do what is best for us and follow doctor's orders, our body will progressively mend.
@JustBhem (56143)
• Davao, Philippines
@kobesbuddy And I believe that Kharla.
@acelawrites (16619)
Whether we like it or not, we have to obey doctors to take such tests to monitor health conditions. My husband is diabetic too, but he is so strict on his diet, and exercises everyday.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Obeying the doctor's orders, is what keeps us on track.
That's great you have accountability with the test.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It helps to keep tight reigns on this disease, before it can do any critical damage. I have to tow the mark, or my doctor will get upset about it.
@arunima25 (22557)
• Bangalore, India
I am due for one. In fact I should have got it done in June. But somehow it got delayed. Got to do it fast. But with my Glucometer I am tracking my regular sugar levels and they look very much in control.
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Yes, I use a glucometer also and mine are usually under control.
It is great that you stick to the proper diet and you walk Kobe each day
@kobesbuddy (75869)
• East Tawas, Michigan
It takes a lot of strict disciplinary measures, to keep those numbers from rising.
@sophie09 (8485)
i bet this gonna be so helpful for those out there