Here We Go Again--Round Two

@moffittjc (58240)
Gainesville, Florida
Last night was one incredible night. Severe thunderstorm cells appeared out of nowhere over my city and built up and sat there and didn't move for hours on end. For about 4-5 solid hours last night, Hell unleashed its fury in the form of torrential rain and constant thunder and lightning. My entire house was shaking because the thunder and lightning was so bad! I seriously thought my windows were going to shatter from the constant barrage of thunder! And because of the frequency of the thunder and lightning, and the heavy downpours pounding my roof, I got very little sleep. Like a bad dream that continues to cycle in a loop, here we are tonight going through the same thing again. Round Two of Hell's Fury! Once again, the thunderstorms built up out of nowhere right over us, and the supercell has been sitting over us motionless for the last three hours, pouring down rain. And yes, the thunder and lightning is as bad tonight as it was last night. My only two hopes tonight are that we don't have severe flooding (which will most likely happen), and that I can fall asleep over the crashing booms of thunder (which will most likely not happen). Has this ever happened to any of you, where super storm cells just appear out of nowhere, sit on top of you, and just build up bigger and bigger without moving? It's not an uncommon thing here in Florida, but it's probably been about 5-6 years since it last happened to this degree, and it's very rare that it happens over two consecutive nights.
@kareng (16164)
We had a system that hoovered a couple of months ago with over 12" of rain expected. We did not have the bad thunder and lighting with it but rain for a good 12 or more hours. I hope you get some sleep.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I would sleep like a baby if it weren't for the thunder and lightning!
@kareng (16164)
@moffittjc Again tonight?
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kareng So far, it's staying just to the east of where I live, but only by a mile or two. The future forecast is showing heavy storms building up over us at around 10:45pm tonight and lasting until about 1:00am. Possibly another sleepless night for me!
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
I haven't experienced anything as extreme as this. I hope you stay safe and floods are not too bad
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I can't believe how much rain has been dumped on us over the last two days. Fortunately, the flooding was only localized. When I woke up this morning, the forecast only called for a 20% chance of rain, so I thought for sure we would finally get a break. And it's been sunny all day today, but as I sit here typing this comment I hear rumbling thunder outside. Probably means another bad night of thunderstorms is in the works for us.
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc I hope it is just a rumble and nothing more
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl So far, that's all it is it seems. Just some rumbling. No rain here yet where I live, although it is storming to the east of us.
@infatuatedbby (103022)
Oh no ! Very rare to get such storms here. That is scary, stay safe and hope everything will be fine. Sleep tight!
@moffittjc Oh that sure is scary. I would be under the blankets trying to sleep. How is the weather right now, has the storm stopped?
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I keep getting severe weather alerts popping up on my phone, but so far it's all to the east of me. By about one mile. If it just sits there and keeps building, it will be over me in about an hour. In looking at the future forecast, it looks like we are gong to get hit with heavy rain from about 10pm-1am.
@moffittjc Another evening with heavy rains. Usually the weather forecast is incorrect ... but I don't know the accuracy for your state.
@wolfgirl569 (19939)
• Marion, Ohio
We get them here sometimes in the summer. They usually form as the sun goes down. But I sleep like a baby during them.
@wolfgirl569 (19939)
• Marion, Ohio
@moffittjc Maybe it will return to normal soon. No record temps here thankfully
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@wolfgirl569 You are so lucky. We are definitely feeling the effects of global warming here in Florida. Brutally hot summers, non-existent winters, and rising sea levels. We're doomed I tell you! Doomed!
@wolfgirl569 (19939)
• Marion, Ohio
@moffittjc I am farther inland so safer from the rising waters. You need to grow webs on your toes and gills to breathe.
Happened here a couple of weeks ago. It started to flood the basement in the house. At least you don't have to worry about that. Tomorrow we are expected to have severe storms that may cause tornadoes in the afternoon/evening. We don't DO tornadoes in Jersey!
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, we don't do tornadoes very well here in Florida either. Hurricanes....were fine with. Tornadoes? Not so good. I hope you don't have any severe flooding issues, and I hope those tornadoes stay away!
@moffittjc Thanks!
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@NJChicaa And can you send down some cooler weather? I'm tired of melting every day in this 110 degree heat!
Stay safe Jeff, those are scary moment. Yes, this happened to us in the Bahamas while we were waiting at the airport to come back to Orlando. It was more than scary.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was flying back from Minneapolis to West Palm Beach one time, and the thunderstorms in WPB were so bad that we had to fly in a holding pattern for over an hour. Finally, they had to divert us to Ft. Lauderdale because we were low on fuel and had to land. It was raining too hard for us to land in WPB.
@moffittjc That happened on an International Flight from Nice (France) to Atlanta, we were pretty scared.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck After such a long transatlantic flight, I can imagine you wanted to land as soon as possible!
@DeborahDiane (27624)
• Laguna Woods, California
@moffittjc - Wow! I'm glad to know you all survived that. Big storms can bring rain, floods, tornadoes, lightning and more. Stay safe!
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Tornadoes generally are not a big risk here, but the thunder and lightning can get especially bad.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@DeborahDiane Usually Florida leads the nation in lightning strikes, but Texas seems to be winning that battle so far this year.
• Laguna Woods, California
8h
@moffittjc - Yes, Texas has had some violent weather lately. We lived in Texas for 25 years and witnessed some crazy weather, though, so violent weather is not that unusual. The weather has been a bit odd in a lot of places. In Alaska the other day, it got up to 95 Degrees Fahrenheit above the Arctic Circle. Strange!
@CarolDM (36437)
Yes it has happened to me while driving but it has been awhile. I always pull over and wait to see if it will slack off. So dangerous. I have been though tornadoes many times.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
There have probably only been a handful of times in my life when it has been raining so hard that I had to pull off the road because I couldn't see. I admit that it can get pretty damn scary in those situations.
@CarolDM (36437)
@moffittjc I can count numerous times. I try not to drive in it if it can be helped. While living in New Orleans, any rain was a hard rain it seemed and being below sea level, the roads always flooded.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
12h
@CarolDM We're not below sea level, but Florida is very low and flat, barely above sea level, so we get a lot of road flooding as well.
not in the past few years..and i live near the ocean. all the major storms have been blowing right by us. allegedly,we're to get a storm tomorrow..we'll see.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
We were supposed to have a break from storms today, but I hear thunder rumbling outside, which means a storm is building up over us again. I just hope it's not as bad as the last two nights have been.
@moffittjc we did get some rain..but no rumbles.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@scarlet_woman Thankfully our rain was brief last night.
• Lenox, Georgia
Last night we were driving from Jacksonville fl back to Georgia and we had to sit in our truck under the overpass for about an hour!! The storm was SO bad! I'm sorry you're going through the bad storms again tonight.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh goodness, you got a taste of what we have been dealing with here in Gainesville. This summer it has been especially bad. Worse than normal. I'm glad you pulled over to wait out the rain. It's not worth risking your life for.
• Lenox, Georgia
@moffittjc Yes it was awful-I'm sorry it's been like that a lot for y'all. We went to church in Jax on Sunday-it was a wonderful day til that storm scare! The winds were whipping and my husband couldn't see-he doesn't take risks behind the wheel.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies He's a smart man. It's just not worth it, especially when you have your family's safety to look out for.
I'm sorry you had such bad storms two nights in a row. I hope the weather has calmed down since then.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Well, it’s 3 nights in a row now, plus it’s been pouring all day today as well. Starting to get lots of flooding around town.
@moffittjc I'm sure you are if it's been raining like that for three days.
@porwest (17347)
It's been very stormy the last few days where I live, so I would have to say yes.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Looks like there is another cold front pushing southward that is going to bring some pretty violent weather to the southeast. I think it is due to hit us a little later in the week. We just can't get a break from all the rain it seems.
@porwest (17347)
@moffittjc I suppose it is that time of year when you tend to get that kind of weather. Hope it lets up a little bit soon. The problem we have here is that it gets a bit dry and then when it does rain the ground is too hard and can't soak up all the water and then we get more flooding than usual.
• Rupert, Idaho
Wow, that sounds terrifying! I don't think they really have happened like that here. Thank goodness!
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
We can get some pretty crazy thunderstorms in the summer here in Florida, due to the shape of the state and the surrounding water. The land heats up faster than the water, which causes the breezes to blow in off the ocean over the land. Well, since there's ocean on both sides of the state, the ocean breeze will blow inland from both sides, and then when the east coast sea breeze meets up with the west coast sea breeze in the middle of the state (where I live), it gets pretty crazy!
• Rupert, Idaho
@moffittjc Although I don't fully understand all the weather stuff, that does make sense. Sounds crazy for sure!
@RubyHawk (35109)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have seen it happen. Last time several years ago. All the rivers and creeks overflowed out into woods and fields. We had wild ducks swimming in what was fields before the rain started. The park along the Chatahoochie was closed until the water drained away. We live on a hill side so it didn’t effect us. I hope your house will be okay.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, the house is okay, I sit high enough up that I don't have to worry about flooding. I have a creek that runs behind my property in my backyard, and everything slopes back toward that creek, so I shouldn't have to worry about flooding. And so far I've been lucky that my house has not gotten struck by the 10,000 lightning strikes that we seem to have gotten over the last two nights.
@RubyHawk (35109)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@moffittjc We've been lucky too, no floods or lightening strikes. Sometimes I think lightening will strike when I see those large streaks of lighting and booms of thunder. It can get scary. There's a creek that runs at the back of our complex but even when it over flows it doesn't get near us.
The thunder in Tampa was super loud.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think that applies to any thunder in Florida! lol
@moffittjc probably so
@Deepizzaguy (20738)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
It has happened in the Lake Charles area on a few occasions since the majority of these storms usually wind up in the northern towns like Moss Bluff which is across the Calcasieu River and further north on U S Highway 171.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm sure your summer climate in Louisiana is pretty similar to ours in Florida.
@Deepizzaguy (20738)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@moffittjc It is since some days it is hot as an oven and sometimes we get heavy rains.
@tammys85 (15511)
• Baltimore, Maryland
Stay safe in the storms!
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
I’m afraid of lightning, so I definitely try to stay as safe as I can!
Storms can pop up at a moments notice when it is hot here..As a matter of fact one is on the way. I hear the thunder out there now. This might be a big one.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
The same thing is happening here right now. Again. For the third night in a row. The thunder is already booming outside.
@1creekgirl (17076)
Sure hope things have calmed down by now. That's scary.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
We were forecast to have a dry day today, but I hear thunder booming outside, which means another storm is building up over us again. I just hope if it does end up raining tonight that it is not as bad as the last two nights have been.
When it rains here there is no thunder or lightning.
@moffittjc (58240)
• Gainesville, Florida
You are lucky! Florida is often considered the lightning capital of the US, we have tons of lightning in our storms.