Uniforms

By Luis
@LuisVp (238)
Arizona City, Arizona
Why do schools force us to wear uniforms why are we not allowed to express ourselves i mean what was the point of wearing the same clothes everyday for 6 years i simply never understood their reasons. i remember everyday i had to check for a clean uniform every single day was it clean. Did it need washing. Did i even know where i had left it at and thats not all tucking in your shirt was also something i didnt really like. and even after reaching high school when the uniforms were finally a part of the past they still told you how to dress like dont wear this or that dont wear that either we had no freedom in how we dressed they controlled our closet
@Ladanger (9170)
In Puerto Rico we always had to wear uniforms. In trade school i had to wear my trade uniform. I guess it's to identify us.
@LuisVp (238)
• Arizona City, Arizona
Yea that makes sense we need to be identified somehow it was just a struggle for me to every night have to check for a uniform.
@Ladanger (9170)
@LuisVp yeah i know. Some uniforms are cute.
@LuisVp (238)
• Arizona City, Arizona
@Ladanger yes ive seen some and i wish i had worn that uniform instead.
@Avijit100 (1520)
Uniform brings unity and if everyone is set to go on their own then there won't be any order, so to maintain discipline, uniform is one of the first things to be used.
@LuisVp (238)
• Arizona City, Arizona
Thats very true.
• Japan
Most of the world uses school uniforms. It has a certain leveling effect; you can't really tell who is rich and who is poor if you are all in a uniform. (My international school doesn't have them and is very unusual. A lot of kids wish we did have them.)
@resukill22 (12741)
Same here we need to wear uniforms, because of that they recognize where school you belong
@LuisVp (238)
• Arizona City, Arizona
Yes thats true uniforms are important.
Even when you got out of school and got a job, some employers would tell you how to dress. Some employers had uniforms that you were to wear daily. Or if you went into the military you were to wear uniforms daily. It was to give you a sense of unity and togetherness. That way it cut down on the fights and bitterness between students and later between the adults. The schools I went to didn't require uniforms but they did have dress codes and the students were expected to follow them to the letter. If you didn't you were sent home to change into clothing that followed the code. I never got sent home to change (both my parents worked so if I wasn't going to follow the code I took a change of clothes with me to school). A lot of students didn't follow the dress code and never got sent home to change while a couple of others always got caught and got sent home. It depended on it they were favorites of the principal or not. Like you said, the people with the money were the ones with the best clothes and were the ones who showed off their clothes the most.
@LuisVp (238)
• Arizona City, Arizona
I see now that uniforms are important.
@pumpkinjam (6778)
I think uniforms have their advantages and disadvantages. One disadvantage is that they can be so expensive. Some are quite uncomfortable. On the other hand, it helps to give a sense of order, to identify pupils from a particular school - such as during school trips/in case someone gets lost. It is also said to help combat issues of fashion and status. That is to say a uniform means that pupils should not be competing to wear the latest clothing (although there can still be an issue if some children have name brand shoes while others have hand-me-downs). I think there should be some rules regarding what people wear to school but I don't necessarily think it should be a dictated uniform. School colours and, if on an outing, a badge or something to identify the school. Then there should, perhaps, be some stipulation as to the types of appropriate attire as there would be for a work environment. Saying that, it's probably just easier to decide on a uniform.
@cperry2 (2046)
There are a couple of reasons I have heard. One is that people are not reminded of the divide between people who have lots of money and those that do not. Another is that it gets around people wearing colors that represent certain gangs, red for one blue for another. (This was in Los Angeles) someone could get shot wearing the wrong color walking through some neighborhoods.
Some schools require uniforms so all students are seen as equals. The children with wealthy parents dress no differently than others. It also helps to remove distractions. It's not for everyone or every school and it still have value.
@avi256 (4978)
• Pune, India
Even I used to feel like that, but I think the basic idea is to create a feeling of equality as a child When everyone wears the same uniform, children will not be judged based on their clothes.
@Rohithee (447)
Rich may put great dresses and poor will not do that so it means to be uniform