$60 in 30 days for food: Second purchase

I began this experiment on August 19th. Could I limit myself for $2 a day or less, living on $60 purchase for food to supplement what I already have? On August 21st, I made my first purchase, spending $5.38. I felt that I got quite a bit of food for that small amount. (See the photo and the breakdown in the link below.) Today I spent $2.75 for five items. I did not shop in the commissary, but at my favorite store Traders Joe's. There is no surcharge, nor any tax on food items there. My purchases: Two bananas @ $0.19 each = $0.38 One Beefsteak tomato $0.89 One Kanzi apple $0.79 One Pink Lady apple $0.69 Sale Total = $2.75 Total remaining in 30-day budget = $51.87 Photo is my own. ( I got hungry and ate one of the bananas on my way home!
@LindaOHio (10278)
Lookin' good!
Thank you, Linda!
So far so good! I do love TJ's! I haven't been in awhile, but have been thinking about going again soon.
I find that they are reasonable compared to anything else. I have little waste when I use and buy foods from there.
@TheSojourner I like the way they have chopped bags of peppers for when I want bell peppers and am feeling lazy. They do have reasonable prices for sure, and a lot of healthier options too. I've also been able to try things I haven't before.
@ScribbledAdNauseum the convenience of many of the foods is absolutely worth it to me. I used to chop all my onions and my peppers and freeze them myself. But I only cook for one, so I'm beginning to ask myself about the value of the preparation time. I think it depends on what I have going on and how cheap foods are. When green peppers become four for a dollar, then I will buy for peppers for a dollar and chop them myself to freeze!
You did really well in my opinion!!! Hard to resist those bananas.
I always buy my bananas at Trader Joes. $0.19 each, you can't beat that price.
@TheSojourner That is a really good price!
@Corbin5 it is nice to get different perspectives. I'm thinking that was pretty expensive.
you are doing super! at 19 cents for a banana how much would a pound cost? i can only buy bananas by the pound here. my uncle taught me how to break off the amount of them i think i will eat from the bunch but still don't know how much each one costs
on the base they cost $0. 59 a pound. Off-base I've seen them in the Safeway for $0. 79 a pound. It all depends on the size of the bananas. At Trader Joe's they sell them individually at $0. 19 each regardless of how big they are
@TheSojourner I have to get to a Trader Joes. Is Safeway an expensive store? i can get bananas for a lot cheaper here. Usually around 49-59 cents a pound (the 59 cents ones are usually the organic ones) but never as high as 79 cents a pound
@Marty1 I don't tend to go to Safeway very often. If I find the coupons for the really cheap things that are lost leaders that get you in the store, I might go every once in awhile, but other than that I shop at Trader Joe's or the commissary on base or we have a discount center called Grocery Outlet.
@rhpinc (1883)
• Las Vegas, Nevada
Sounds like you did good. I have a hard time spending little on food. I eat so much! lol. I burn it off. I was told I could eat 100 pounds in one sitting of food and lose weight.
Well, even though I might be able to eat that much, I watch what I eat. Overeating is just as wasteful to me as throwing it in the trash. It's good that you can eat as much as you do. Right now, I'm trying to save money for specific situations, so trying to figure out what I can do without and also what I can do with what I have in stock.
@rhpinc (1883)
• Las Vegas, Nevada
@TheSojourner That is not a bad thing. What are you trying to save for if you don't mind my asking?
@rhpinc at this moment, I'm not really saving for anything, as much as I don't want to go on vacation and leave things that. Will end up going bad. Since April, I have been working on an inventory project in my kitchen where my pantry, freezer, and refrigerator are concerned. I am only one person, and have lived alone for a couple of decades. Even though I came from a large family, it really is not necessary for me to put up food when there are grocery stores so close by. So, I've been working on deleting everything without throwing it away, and being more mindful. Perhaps, it is a take on minimalism, that I can extend to other parts of my life shortly.
@crossbones27 (26972)
• Redlands, California
Much respect there, that is damn hard Food Stamps is what 4 dollars a day. I just want people to fathom that. People go apecrap because they think people wanting free hand outs for 4 dollars a day. It drives me freaking mad. That is not even worth the effort to beg, why I always say they looking at the wrong problem and not the ones who are truly creating the problem.
That is interesting to know. Once I get back from my vacation, I will be starting all over again. I am going to look that up about the food stamps, and it sounds pretty spot-on. Whatever that happens to be, even though I'm not on the program, I am going to see what it's like to live on whatever that would be.
• Redlands, California
@TheSojourner Yeah and to be honest not sure the rates now, doubt any different and was a couple of politicians that did that to show if could be done or not and their conclusion was I could not live off that and no way the common person can but as always put some spin, its a start. Not really when its under attack every day. Just fix it right, but have to cater to evil Republicans or nothing will ever be done. Its true people hate when I say that but there is only one way to look at it if you want to be honest with yourself.
@crossbones27 well, I'm certainly not taking this from a political perspective, just a personal challenge and how I have overindulged over the years. I can no longer do that, and I want people that do have a limited income, whether it be mandated or personal choice to see life differently. Unfortunately, I can't change how people eat or what they will eat. That's not going to be my focus, but I do hope that I can give people some ideas. I've always believed that I can't teach anyone anything, but only help them to think. Who knows what I will do from here with all of this. Right now I'm in the gathering information mode.
You're doing great.
Thank you Marie.
@TheSojourner And you're eating good.
@Tampa_girl7 I wish you would tell the scale that! ;-)
@Starkinds (13597)
Wow you manage your budget very well
Thank you. I'm trying to do this to see what happens. I made a big purchase, yesterday, which I wrote about. But I'm still doing fine.
@Starkinds (13597)
@TheSojourner that's superb my dear anyway good morning happy Monday
@Starkinds you, as well. It's 9: 30 on Sunday night for me. I'm going to go brush my teeth and head to bed. Goodnight
@bunnybon7 (42777)
• Holiday, Florida
wow I used to be able to shop thrifty like that but these days I can't do shopping and daughter does it all. I really wish she could take some lessons from you she thinks buy one get one is thrifty . but I keep trying to tell her they get their money in the one you buy uuugghh you done great girl
Thank you for those kind words. I'm just trying to do what I can. It will be interesting to see how things change when I get back from vacation and I come back to an empty kitchen from most things.
@bunnybon7 (42777)
• Holiday, Florida
@TheSojourner that sounds so sad. But I do know how it is to be alone but at least I had my little dog. I can't imagine it now I hope you are going to be okay
@bunnybon7 I have lived alone for 22 years. But the way I purchase, you'd think there was a house full of four or five people! That's got to stop
@1creekgirl (17627)
You really are creative!
Thank you, Vicki. I'm just trying to figure out what I can live on and what I can't. I have wasted so much money in my life, and now it's time for me to start looking at things I would rather spend my money on. I don't need to eat as much as I have in the past. I certainly don't need to buy as much for one person, as I have done. I end up wasting too much. So, this is been a good experiment and I will start really taking a look at that overall. Maybe it's time for me to do a Blog about that
@1creekgirl (17627)
@TheSojourner A blog would be a good idea!
@1creekgirl think of a name for it. I'm trying to come up with something like that. So ponder it awhile. What I would like to do is think about those people who live alone and don't think that they can eat on very little without starving themselves. So, I know that it's going to be a food blog. However, all I can think about is those of us who are single and older and living on fixed income. Things change and we find ourselves alone. Especially, those of us who are in the baby boom generation who grew up with this Vision that we were cooking for large families, and we had to make sure that everybody was fed to the point of being so full because we couldn't go hungry. I would like to help change that thought process.
@responsiveme (23313)
Those fruits look good. Coral, will mail you soon.Do you check your mail regularly,Asking because you haven't replied to a couple I sent. You must be excited about Aruba.have a great time.
Not as regularly as I need to. But I will try! I've just gotten very behind lately. I'm sorry.
@TheSojourner I rarely come here now but don't want to lose contact with you, let's mail . I have sent a couple of pms too .Will that be easier for you?
@responsiveme I will try to email you. That's the easiest for me.
No spending for you tomorrow! Or the next day.
$9 and 6 days, and you're telling me I can't spend my $2 a day tomorrow or the next day? Ha
@TheSojourner That's right! Discipline! Tighten that belt!
Sounds like you are doing good. Those are some good prices too.
Thank you for this, because I'm not seeing how this was a good price. My brain sees this is rather expensive today. But, you guys are giving me new way to look at things.
@TheSojourner At our grocery store, it would be a lot more. I was going to buy some canned peaches but they were too expensive so did without. Need to get over to Walmart.
@Susan2015 it's really interesting to know how much things cost from state to state or country to Country.
I paid the bananas only a bit more at Aldi, I bought 4 for $0.75, I planned to buy 2, my husband wanted 4 and now I have to make banana bread.
Banana bread is a good thing!
@TheSojourner It is good, but I wanted to avoid to use the oven for some more days. The temperature is pretty warm right now.
@florelway (7578)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
That's a hard goal.
It certainly requires me to think at every stage.
@florelway (7578)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TheSojourner That's right. It takes control and determination.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
Looks good to me.
When I come back from my vacation, I will probably buy a bag of apples, which will be less expensive in the long run.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner They are and they last a decent amount of time.
@DeborahDiane (28039)
• Laguna Woods, California
Good for you! That is a worthwhile experiment. I am sure I could save money on food if I really put my mind to it.
Thank you. I have documented the whole thing here in a few discussions. I don't keep many discussions up, but these are all documented and will be done in less than a week now. It really is amazing how much we can get through and what it saves us
@JeahNika (311)
• Brisbane, Australia
Nice purchase for the amount. :)
Thank you.
@Janet357 (26808)
wow, incredible experiments. you love to try anything new. gp for it and please dont forget to post updates.
I'm posting the purchases, and then we'll see about other updates!
@sallypup (32946)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Bananas are great at filling your stomach.
Yes, and great in potassium. I try to eat at least one banana a day in some form.