Creating Disney Memories

@moffittjc (60096)
Gainesville, Florida
Last Friday, while my daughter and I were having lunch, we started talking about Disney World and how much we want to go again. I'm not sure how the conversation shifted, but we started talking about all the previous visits we had made over the years, and how it was getting harder and harder to pinpoint specific memories to specific years. So that gave my daughter an idea--to create a scrapbook of all our years together at Disney. So starting yesterday, and continuing through the entire weekend, we are pulling out all of our photos, keepsakes, papers, tickets, guide maps, event schedules and everything else we have saved from Disney World over the years, and separating them all out into piles based on the year. Once we have that done (and we have box loads of stuff to go through, as I save everything I collect at Disney), my daughter is going to take the items and start creating scrapbooks for each year. Although the photos and any associated memorabilia we have will paint a pretty good picture of all our past years, we also have to write down our memories associated with each visit. For example, on New Year's Eve of 2011, we were in line to ride the Space Mountain roller coaster at around 11:00 PM, when the ride broke down. They had everybody exit the ride queue, and the kids and I decided to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks from our vantage point standing right in front of Space Mountain. Well, as it turns out, that as the New Year's Eve fireworks were in progress, Space Mountain opened back up. Being that we were standing right there at the entrance, I grabbed the kids and we ran and got back in the queue. So, literally, we were the very first people in the whole world to ride Space Mountain in 2012. So, slowly, we are going to piece together all of our memories from the past to include in the scrapbook. Originally, we were going to start from the year my daughter was born (1999), but decided to go back a few years before since I found a bunch of photos from when I went to Disney World with the kid's mother before and when we had gotten married. So, for the long holiday weekend, with nothing else to do except wait out the arrival of the hurricane, we are going to be working on scrapbooking our Disney World memories. Have any of you ever created a scrapbook of family trips or family memories?
• Lenox, Georgia
That is such a great idea and really cool that y'all were the first ones to ride Space Mountain in 2012!! =)
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I thought it was pretty cool, even though it doesn't really mean anything. Out of all the people on this planet, we got to get on that ride first in 2012. From a personal perspective I think it's cool.
• Lenox, Georgia
@moffittjc Well I think it's really awesome too!!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies thanks! I know the kids think it's a really big deal. In this day and age where there are so many billions of people on the planet, and so many millions of people who visit Disney World, it's hard to be able to say you were the first at something.
@LindaOHio (10276)
Any time we take a trip I add all the brochures, receipts, etc. right along with the pictures in plastic 3-hole pockets that go right into a binder.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
You are very smart! I used to be so good at keeping up with all that stuff, but obviously I have gotten slack about it as I've gotten older! lol
@LindaOHio (10276)
@moffittjc I took one year and got caught up with printing pictures. I must have done 15 years' worth. The trips I always do right away.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LindaOHio Smart. I think from now on, I will print our vacation pictures right away. We take lots of photos on our smartphones, I'll just make sure we get them printed soon after our trip ends so we can add them to our scrapbooks.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
That is a great way to spend your time waiting.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I was joking with the kids yesterday and told them that I hope that storm doesn't make a beeline for our house, or else all our Disney memories will be blown away and destroyed. We literally have everything spread out all over the living room, dining room and parts of the kitchen! lol
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
@moffittjc I hope not too. That is a lot.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@wolfgirl569 I am so thankful this storm is forecast to curve north before it hits Florida, I just saw from the latest forecast that it is now a Cat-5 hurricane. The poor Bahamas is going to get pummeled.
What a wonderful scrapbook it will be!!! I used to have a scrapbook into which I would place brochures, pictures etc. from the vacations I took with my family when I was a kid. Not sure where that scrapbook happens to be.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, that is what I am hoping to create! A place to put brochures, maps, and other items of interest from our Disney trips. For instance, Disney used to let people ride in the front of the monorail where the pilots are, and they would give the kids pilot wings to pin on their shirts. Well, after there was a monorail accident, they stopped allowing passengers up in the front. Thankfully, we had gotten to ride up there before the ban went into effect, and my kids both received their pilot wings! I still have those, and they will go into the scrapbook.
@moffittjc That scrapbook will be passed down through the generations.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 That's what I'm hoping!
@kobesbuddy (82503)
• East Tawas, Michigan
This is a beautiful project, putting all those fond memories in an organized scrap book! And every memory will be saved forever, during all the years to come. There's nothing else that will ever compare, with those special times spent with our family
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks, that's exactly what we were thinking as well. And in addition to the memories the scrapbooks themselves will create, I also value the memories that will be made with the time spent with my kids making the scrapbooks!
@kobesbuddy (82503)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc Yes, this creates some more special memories with your kids, compiling your memories& photos in this scrap book together:)
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy I always look for opportunities to spend more time with my kids, especially since one is now an adult and the other is not far behind. My 19-year old daughter and I have a standing lunch date every week to ensure that we always get to spend time together, and I make sure to pick my son up from high school every afternoon just so I can spend more time with him as well.
@dodo19 (37744)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's such a great idea! It's so nice that you were able to reminisce and create a scrapbook of all the times you were at Disney world. You must have so many amazing memories.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
We have lots of great memories, but over time they are start to run together, and the lines are blurred on what memories happened in what years. We're hoping that by creating the scrapbooks that we can get all those memories pinpointed to the right years. For example, there was one year my daughter and I went to Disney without my son, and we stayed at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. However, we couldn't remember what year it was and why we were there without my son. We slowly connected the puzzle pieces together yesterday and figured out the when and why. So it's nice that we can do that while we still can remember all that stuff!
@dodo19 (37744)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@moffittjc It can be so hard to remember when things happened. I sometimes have to think carefully when something happened. Sometimes, I don't even remember at all.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@dodo19 I'm like that too. Either I can't remember, or if I do remember, I am way off on dates. I'll be like, "Hey, son, remember last year when we rode that ride at Disney?" And my son will be like, "Dad, that was 7 years ago." Doh!
@stringer321 (4311)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
We only have some photo albums of some early years. I personally don't think it is so important. Everyone has his past. For me, it is more important to think about the future. Maybe, the closest thing for any recording of the past is my small notebooks, I write in them some memories, and notes to remember. I am very lucky to write to you, the first person who climbed the space mountain at 2012. I hope you will survive the hurricane, please, upload some photos if you can.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
If the hurricane follows the forecast path, then we won't get hit at all. If that's the case, the only photos I'll have to upload are photos of a beautiful blue sky!
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@moffittjc can you please upload a photo of the scrapbook ? I have no idea what it is.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@stringer321 We haven't made the scrapbook yet. Everything is still scattered all over the floor in my house. A scrapbook is basically just a book or photo album filled with pictures and any other memorabilia you want to include.
That sounds like quite a project. I created one for my daughter's 28th birthday. It was her golden birthday. My grandchildren helped me put it together. She loved it. I haven't done one since.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
How long ago was that? I've never made a scrapbook before. I think my daughter made one several years ago, and I know my ex-wife used to put together scrapbooks all the time.
@moffittjc She's 45 next month. I had to think about that.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@just4him Ooh, so that was quite a ways back! Time sure does seem to slip away from us, doesn't it?
@infatuatedbby (104793)
That is a wonderful idea! Can’t go wrong with a scrapbook to document all the memories. I used to scrapbook but haven’t recently. I actually just made scrapbooks from sites like snapfish, Shutterfly and mixbook through pictures only.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Between me and the two kids, we have hundreds of photos saved on our phones from all our trips to Disney. We would like to get them all printed out so we can put them in the scrapbooks. We'll probably upload everything to Shutterfly to get prints made.
@moffittjc I love waiting for the packages/prints to arrive =) I still like old fashion photo prints! I am sure the scrapbooks will look beautiful!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I am old-fashioned too, in the sense that I also like the photo prints.
I haven't for a long time, I just had photo albums..I haven't been to Disney in ages, I have a friend who drives up every chance she can get. She is a Disney fanatic. She was just there last week, 3rd time this year.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've got her beat, I have been there five times already this year! How far away does she live from Disney? I live an hour and a half.
@moffittjc oh boy yes, you do, I call her a Disney nut, she wears a Disney dress there collects Disney , it is about a six hour drive for her to go up .
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CookieMonster46 Wow, a 6-hour drive is quite a ways for a Disney nut. I consider myself somewhat of a Disney nut, but I don't dress up or anything like that. One of my co-workers is definitely like that. She goes just about every week it seems, and she is always dressing up in one Disney outfit or another.
The last time I rode the rollercoaster in Space Mountain was the summer of 1980.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Wow, they didn't even build that roller coaster until 1982! LOL just kidding! You really need to get back to Disney, if you haven't ridden Space Mountain since 1980!
@moffittjc I was last at Disney World in 2005.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Tampa_girl7 Sounds like it’s time for another visit!
Now I am tempted to get out all the photos we took at Disney Land, Disney World, Epcot, MGM Studios and so on. I know I would get nostalgia, I am sure.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
You should do it Anna! It is so fun looking at old photos and seeing the memories that they trigger. I had such a wonderful day yesterday with my kids reminiscing about all of our Disney vacations together!
@moffittjc We went through two old albums that my husband received from his step father. I had never seen photos of him when he was a baby and a young boy. My mother in law was a beautiful woman.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck It is nice when we can look back at old photo albums of our family members, or of previous generations of family members. There is so much we can learn just from looking at photos.
@VivaLaDani13 (36297)
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc aww this is such a good idea! Your daughter is so creative! I've never done one before. We have a lot of photos and I am considering taking more updated photos of my family soon. And that photo is so beautiful, I love it!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
That photo was taken on my birthday when my daughter surprised me with a trip to Disney. We stayed in a Disney resort that overlooked the Magic Kingdom. The building on the right, lit up in green, is Space Mountain, an indoor roller coaster. In the middle of the photo, lit up in purple, is Cinderella's Castle. I should have zoomed in more on my camera, but I wanted to capture as much of the entire theme park as I could in the photo, which was taken right at sunset.
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc How sweet of your daughter to do that! It all sounds so beautiful!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 Maybe someday I can take you there!
• Israel
@moffittjc Your daughter had a great idea. So did the hurricane come your way? I am glad the scrapbook will give you nice memories.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
The official forecast has it turning north away from Florida before it makes landfall, but as of right now we are still in the "cone of uncertainty" as they call it. Meaning the hurricane could still theoretically strike us, although the probability seems pretty low right now. Originally, the storm was going to start hitting us today, and continue through Monday, but it has slowed down it's forward speed, and so now if it does hit, it will be on Tuesday. Monday is a holiday for us, and as a result of the hurricane, they have also shut down everything for Tuesday, so I don't have to go back to work until Wednesday.
• Israel
@moffittjc I hope it does not hit where you are.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Hannihar I hope so too. We have a very dense tree canopy in our city, and because of heavy rains this summer, our ground is oversaturated. When that happens, it doesn't take much to topple the trees. So, even if we don't take a direct hit, a side skirt would still bring enough winds to knock over hundreds--if not thousands--of our trees. So we're all keeping our fingers crossed that this storm stays well out to sea.
@Gillygirl (37869)
• Sutton, England
Yes, I have created a couple. Stay safe in the hurricane
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks Gill, All I can do is pray now that the storm stays offshore.
@Gillygirl (37869)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc Yes, I have heard it could hit the East Coast of Florida. Does that affect you?
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl Not directly, I live far enough inland where a landfall on the east coast of Florida won't affect me very much. We'll get some wind gusts and some periods of rain, but otherwise we are being spared the worst of this storm. In fact, a lot of the people they are evacuating from the coast are coming to our city to seek shelter until the storm passes.
@LeaPea2417 (26274)
• Toccoa, Georgia
Yes, I have made many photo albums of life with my kids and family when they were young.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I have done the same thing over the years. I have photo albums broken down by year, but I think I last did one about 10 years ago. Since then, photos either stayed saved on my smartphone, or printed photos have gone into a box. I guess I've got a little lazier in my older years! haha
@LeaPea2417 (26274)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@moffittjc Same with me, as digital photos have become the norm now, my pictures are on my phone or laptop.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LeaPea2417 I always tell myself that I'm going to upload the photos to Shutterfly and get prints made, and then I never do. Now I have several thousand pictures on my phone and laptop and it would probably cost me a fortune to try and get all those printed now! haha
I've never been one to do scrapbooks. But, I do put together picture albums. Need to note dates on the backs of the photos though. Time flies and memories fade. Should always remember to date them immediately.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
We were just talking about that yesterday. On many of our photo prints, there are dates stamped on the back, but there are just as many that don't have the dates stamped on the back. We all agreed we need to do a better job in the future of dating the photos before we forget. Thankfully, we have hundreds of photos saved on our smartphones, so when we get them printed out to put in the scrapbook, we'll be able to look at the dates the pictures were saved on our phones as a reference point.
@moffittjc what would we do without our smartphone?
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElusiveButterfly I'd be completely lost and clueless without my smartphone! I'd actually have to dig my brain out of the closet, dust it off, give it a little oil, and hope it fires back up!
@psanasangma (2991)
Mesmerizing photo you have uploaded. I assume this photo is taken in the evening ... the black clouds are really wonderful
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, this was a photo I took at sunset looking out of the balcony of our hotel toward the Magic Kingdom, one of the theme parks inside Walt Disney World.
@moffittjc Magical world and imagination world I love it ..
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@psanasangma Disney World is a very magical and imaginative place!
I have created a few scrapbooks, it is always enjoyable to go over the memories again.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love the euphoric feeling I get when I look back through old photo albums and all the wonderful memories they trigger!
@moffittjc I haven't looked through my albums in a long time. maybe I am overdue.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@BelleStarr It's been a while since I've looked through all my photo albums, so it was really fun looking through them this weekend. Brought back some great memories.
@CarolDM (40806)
What a cool and memorable thing to do. I have done this with Dustin's things, of course.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I love creating photo albums, and I have quite a few. But I never thought about scrapbooking all our Disney adventures! It will give the kids and I some fun times together putting the scrapbooks together.
@CarolDM (40806)
@moffittjc It is a great idea that you will awes treasure.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM I'm more hoping it will be something my kids will always treasure!