You Paid How Much for That?

@moffittjc (60096)
Gainesville, Florida
As many of you know, I play on a pro tournament paintball team. What you may not know is how much it costs to play paintball. It is not a cheap sport. It can cost thousands of dollars just to gear up to step foot on the field. And that doesn't count the cost of the paint needed to play the sport. On any given day playing the sport, I can have as much as $5000 worth of gear on. So I was pretty bummed in the last tournament when I damaged my favorite face mask during a game. It meant I could have had to shell out several hundred dollars for a new mask. Thankfully, at the pro level, many players are sponsored or have endorsement deals with paintball companies. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. Yet. With my rookie season winding down, and three tournament wins under my belt, I have had several companies knocking at my door to try and secure sponsorship/endorsement deals. So, imagine my surprise on Saturday, when a package arrived at my doorstep. It was a new mask from Bunker Kings, one of the top brands in the game. A very nice and expensive mask! A FREE mask! The timing was perfect, as we had practice Sunday morning, so I got to test out the new gear. And I absolutely loved it! It's going to help me perform very well at the tournament in Chicago this coming weekend! Plus, I saved several hundred dollars by not having to buy a new mask! Have any of you ever received a free product, or an unexpected package? Photo is of me trying to adjust the new mask at practice on Sunday.
Way to go! Nope not me, I am just a landlady and I get no free anything but drama.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oooh free drama! I bet it's pretty intense drama too! Pull up a chair, you got the best seat in the house!
@moffittjc I often let it in one eye and out the other.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@andriaperry I bet you have some great stories to tell.
That is great! Congrats!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks! That free gift saved me probably close to $400!
@moffittjc My coworker's husband does paintball tournaments all over. I think they are Team Venom or Viper or something like that.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@NJChicaa There is an organization based out of Palm Beach, Florida, called the Palm Beach Vipers, and one of their lower divisional teams is called Palm Beach Venom. I wonder if it is the same team your co-worker's husband plays for.
@Ladanger (10767)
This is awesome. Great News! It must be hard to play that. I got invited once to do that but i chickened out.
@Ladanger (10767)
@moffittjc it hurts when you get hit right? It wouldn't hurt to atleast try once.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Ladanger It depends on where you get hit, and from how far away your opponent is. But as a girl, you would get the option of wearing a chest protector, as well as your mask. But yes, it can hurt when you get hit. Not going to lie about that. Funny thing though...I think it actually hurts worse at the recreational level than at the pro level. That's because of the quality of the paintballs. The paint is softer at the pro level than at the recreational level, so it breaks easier, which means less pain. I still think you should give it a try! You can imagine that your opponents are all the people who have pissed you off in your life, or did you wrong. Then you can go out there and shoot the crap out of them! haha
@Ladanger (10767)
@moffittjc that would be a good idea lol. I could get rid of my anxiety and anger. Thank you for explaining that to me. Sounds more interesting now to me.
• Walnut Creek, California
How much do you win if you win a tourney?
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
It depends on the tournament. The one in Chicago is a big national event, so it will have a fairly decent size prize pack. In addition to money, teams will win paintball gear, trips, cars, motorcycles, etc. In our last tournament, which was a regional one, we took home quite a haul when we won: $5000 cash for the team owner; $5000 in gear for the players; and $1000 cash for each player. Even more important, we secured an automatic berth to the World Cup in November, saving us over $3000 in entry fees and guaranteeing us to place high in the seedings.
@moffittjc Wow, I need to get busy, with that kind of money its worth looking into
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@andriaperry Trust me, right now I spend probably twice that much in paying for gear and paint. Right now my player salary barely covers the costs of my equipment and supplies. Thank God airfare, travel, food and lodging are all covered by the team, or else I'd be in the poor house!
@lovebuglena (12738)
• Staten Island, New York
Wow! Why is this stuff so expensive? Hurry up and become a pro so you can get them freebies.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm already a pro, I just haven't been offered endorsement deals yet since I am just a rookie. Give it about another month, and they'll start rolling in. After World Cup in November, I'll renew my contract and that's when I'll start to see big changes!
@lovebuglena (12738)
• Staten Island, New York
@moffittjc Oops I misread your lines "Thankfully, at the pro level... Unfortunately, I am not one of them..."
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@lovebuglena Haha, sorry if it was a little misleading. I am a pro. I am not a pro with huge endorsement deals! lol
• Lenox, Georgia
That is so awesome! God knows what we need when we need it. =) Such a blessing! I used to get free samples in the mail and it was always something I forgot about and it helped so much.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Don't you love how that works out that way sometimes?
• Lenox, Georgia
@moffittjc God's ways are amazing to me! =)
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LovingMyBabies God's ways are very amazing!
@VivaLaDani13 (36297)
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc *squeals* LOVE THE PHOTO! I honestly didn't know how expensive pro paintball could be so I am sorry to know your favourite mask got damaged. But super happy a nice surprise came your way! That is so awesome! I can't really recall what free things I have got. I'm sure there are some things but can't recall right now but I'm just happy for you!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
That mask costs close to $300, and the lenses are another $50 each (and you usually keep 3-4 different lenses to use with your mask). I'm pretty sure my old mask can be repaired, it just may take a while to get it fixed. With a big tournament coming up in a few days, I couldn't wait for a repair job, I needed a new mask!
• Perth, Australia
@moffittjc wow I would probably never have known this if not for you telling me. I wish you so much luck with your tournament too!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@VivaLaDani13 Thank you Danielle. This is a big national tournament, so I'm a little nervous, but I'll be fine once I step out onto the playing field.
You look like someone from the Terminator, Best of luck to you.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh that's cool! I've never had anyone compare me to the Terminator before!
@FourWalls (20928)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Congratulations!! I'm not good enough to get endorsement offers, but I do have a couple of friends who are very good putters who've received gratis putters. And these putters aren't cheap, either: my used Scotty Cameron cost $150.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I used to be an avid golf player, so I know exactly what you mean when you talk about how expensive clubs can be!
Wow, that was just in time, saved you some big bucks. I have not received anything that pricey, but I did receive samples of things I was just running out of and save me the trip and cash to by , but nothing over 20 bucks.. That is really good luck you have, I am glad it worked out. I have never tried paint ball, don't think I am going to, I will stick to laser tag..
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Laser tag is quite fun as well, and you can use many of the same tactics and strategies that you use in tournament paintball. Only in laser tag, it doesn't hurt when you get hit! lol
@moffittjc Exactly, I would pick it because of the no pain. I will leave that kind of fun and pain to the experts.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CookieMonster46 Sometimes I want to leave that pain to the experts too. And then I realize I am that expert. Doh!
How cool is that? Congratulations. That's really great. Gee, when you come to visit, I might have to beg for your autograph!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I charge $10 for autographs! But for you I'll do it for $5!
@moffittjc You're all heart!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv I do have a rather big heart!
@1creekgirl (17627)
Congrats, that was exciting for you. Hope you do well in Chicago.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! It's our last national tournament before World Cup, and then we'll play in the Southeast Regional Championships, and then it will be time for World Cup in November!
@1creekgirl (17627)
@moffittjc Keep us posted on how you do.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@1creekgirl I'm a little nervous for this tournament. After our second tournament win of the season, we were the first team bounced out of the very next tournament. I don't want to see a repeat of that performance, considering Chicago is our first event after our big win a few weeks ago!
@Gillygirl (37869)
• Sutton, England
Nope, never get nought for free
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Smiles are free!
@Gillygirl (37869)
• Sutton, England
@moffittjc I guess so but a smile isn't a material thing
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Gillygirl A smile is much better than any material thing!
@CarolDM (40806)
You are very serious about this. Cool photo. Enjoy! I have received free coupons and replacement shoes free in the past.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I am going to enjoy this ride for as long as I can, and see where it takes me. I am very fortunate that my job allows me the flexibility to take off when I need to travel for tournaments.
@CarolDM (40806)
@moffittjc You are fortunate, enjoy the moments.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM As long as my body holds up, I plan to keep enjoying this1
@Janet357 (26808)
wow, this is an expensive sport! maybe the prize when you win is also big.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
It is a very expensive sport, which makes it harder for us to grow the sport bigger and recruit lots of younger players. It takes a real financial commitment to play.
@Janet357 (26808)
@moffittjc the sports of the rich:)
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Janet357 The majority of the players are not rich by any means. In fact, they are often poor, because they spend all of their money on paintball! haha
Great mask! How lucky you didn’t run out and buy a new one before receiving this. Have fun and good luck in Chicago!
@moffittjc Congratulations! That’s nothing to sneeze at. Good luck!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
17h
@DianneN Thanks, we dominated on Saturday, but came out flat today (Sunday). We were eliminated in the quarter finals.
@kareng (18193)
Nice gift. So are you now sponsored by Burger King? Was that the little cookie crumbs to get you to choose them over the other offers? I used to get free things often when I was doing freelance writing. Companies would send free products for your thoughts, opinions and feedback on how improvements could be made. Other companies would send free things in exchange for reviews. Good luck in the Tourney this coming weekend. Enjoy that snazzy new mask too
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
BUNKER Kings, not Burger King! LOL. No, I am now sponsored by them yet, but there has been some discussions with them about an endorsement deal.
@kareng (18193)
@moffittjc Ah, I wondered why you had an "s" on the end. Hahaha. See my mind went to food. Are you guys limited to how many sponsors and endorsements you can have?
Wow, you got some good karma! That is excellent! So, do any of these championships/tournnaments offer cash prizes?
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
Oh yes, you get some pretty good prize packages for winning! It’s usually a mix of cash, equipment, gear and other prizes.
@moffittjc Good luck! Now you have a new mask too!
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
@snowy22315 I still have to confirm, but I heard rumor that one of the prizes in the Chicago tournament is a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I know they've given away some pretty big prize packages at the national tournaments before.
@nela13 (22393)
• Portugal
That is great, it is expensive so free things are always welcome.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
I will take anything free that I can get!
@nela13 (22393)
• Portugal
@moffittjc I do the same.
• Israel
@moffittjc Thank you Jeff for letting us know how expensive it is. So do you think you will let them endorse you? Congrats on the wins. It shows that you are a real asset to the team and you should have lots wanting to endorse you.
@moffittjc (60096)
• Gainesville, Florida
It all depends on the endorsement deal they offer. I’m not going to sell my soul to these companies for a lackluster deal.
• Israel
@moffittjc Good for you.