Parents have been conned.......

Spunky is so comfy using Gracie as a pillow, I took this picture in 1994 with a Nikon EM 35mm film camera
El Paso, Texas
I just don't get why so many parents think they have to spend thousands of dollars to foot college education for their kids, there is an alternative. The worst part is that kids graduating high school feel college is a must to get a good job and end up with debts that'll take them a life time to repay. Hasn't anyone at the high schools suggested vocational education first so that kids can get a good job first then if they want further education they'll be making enough money to actually pay for it. Check this out: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gracie made such a comfy pillow for Spunky.
Every Good Path Search Search Skip to content Mark    November 23, 2013 December 23, 2016    Comments Off on Economics 101: College vs. Apprenticeship An article in last weekend’s newspaper analyzed the payback of a college degree – Does It Pay to Go to C
The problem is they do the college, get in debt for life before life starts and them work at walmart and pubix. I know 2 teachers one English and one History, they say they can`t find a job!
It happens to so many people. I got vocational training as a Keypunch Operator and was able to support myself .... I didn't get top pay but that wasn't uncommon in the 70s, most women were underpaid back then regardless of their training or whatnot.
Vocational training is pushed in Australia too. It certainly isn't the norm for every high school child to continue on to university.
Exactly. I doubt I would have done well in an academically based university. And to add a financial burden just for trying seems totally unfair to me.
@kareng (18193)
Sadly, I think a lot of kids go to college just for the fun of it and not for an education. I had a full-time job as soon as I graduated from high school and loved my job. I also had a part-time job so I wasn't interested in college at that time because I had no clue what I would want to go in to.
You're right. I wonder how many 17 or 18 year olds really know what kind of job they want.
@kareng (18193)
@rebelann I know I didn't. When we had a college visit day at school (a free day off to visit a local or in-state college), my girlfriend and I hit the mall. Nobody ever found out we didn't go do a visit since nothing had to be signed off on. Pretty dumb move on the school's part. LOL.
I don't recall anything like that back when I was in school @kareng .... I graduated in 1969.
Not all students want to continue until University. Here they incentive apprenticeship for those who do not plant to continue their studies.
That's smart. From people I've known it seems they push their children into going to college whether they have that incentive or not, it's a matter of prestige I think. I feel sorry for those 17 and 18 year olds who do not have a clue about the working world yet have to decide if they want to try for an academic education or simply get a job in order to support themselves.
@rebelann The 17 years old son of my neighbor has decided that he did not want to continue to study. He is now an apprentice in a mechanic company and he is the happiest boy. Here no one pushes their kids to continue to go to college, you can get much better jobs without a college degree now. We have too many white collars, doctors, engineers and so on.
It's time parents here stopped pushing for that college degree @LadyDuck to me it's usually a waste of time and money.
@Janet357 (26808)
though it is a choice but you have a point there. finishing college is not always a guarantee you can get a better job.
Exactly. I've worked with a number of people who could not get jobs in the field they chose in college.
@Janet357 (26808)
@rebelann actually most educated people are poor money makers. most businessmen did not even finish college.
I don't think it has anything to do with education @Janet357 it's more likely that only 10% of the overall population actually makes really good money.
@stringer321 (4312)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
Studying is also hard, it requires many hours reviewing the material, learn more and practice. If one cannot make it, all of the money is lost. I wish there were easier courses to at least prepare students for studying, less expensive...courses one can learn at the local center in the city...so people will see if they can do it.
You are correct.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@rebelann have you tried studying ?
I did when I was much younger @stringer321 but I'm 70 now and simply read what I want to when I want.
@CarolDM (40806)
I agree, this is a great alternative to all the debt.
I find it shameful that high schools don't spend any time teaching students what they'll need to get a job, at least if they'd do that many students not suited for academics might decide on vocational training instead.
@CarolDM (40806)
@rebelann Things are so messed up these days. Kids are going to college without a clue. They should be working for their future.
That's true. High school doesn't seem to prepare these kids for the real need to support themselves and many seem to think ma n pa will let them live at home all their lives without having to contribute @CarolDM
Your picture proves cats and dogs can get along. I went to a technical/vocational college and did my four years through Financial Aid. No debt. I have a degree in Architecture.
Did you ever get a job as a draftsmen?
@rebelann No. By the time I graduated from college, the career was overmanned in the area. I even saw one of my fellow student's working in a gas station.
That's the sad part of paying for college education @just4him there's no guarantee that it'll be useful to get you a job.
This is why I like trade school. One course, one trade and done. None of this years of paying back loans.
I think a lot of this kind of training could be carried out in High School, most teachers should be capable of determining if a student has academic talents or not, if not they only waste their money on academic schooling.
@rebelann Yes I believe that too. It is a total waste if they are not equipped for it.
@porwest (18296)
I have never been an advocate of college. But that's because I know how money works and know how to make money. I am the exception to the rule. I never went to college but I am rich. MANY people I know who DID go to college are broke. It's just a farce, the whole thing. Learn about money management and investing and make what you can, and it won't matter how much you make, you CAN be rich. I have done better financially without a college degree than anyone I know WITH one.
I think that's true of many people ...... ok, maybe they aren't rich per say but they do ok and are happy without that looming debt so many college kids get themselves into.
@porwest (18296)
@rebelann That's the worst part. The debt these kids incur. And unfortunately many of them choose majors that don't provide for jobs that actually pay that well. So they are forever stuck in a cycle. Most plumbers make more than school teachers, and plumbers spent far less on their education than school teachers do. Far too much emphasis is placed on a college education these days.
Exactly @porwest
There are always options instead of college. In my family, college was the only option and then grad school of course. It worked out well for us.
Not everyone can afford all that and then there are those who aren't academically inclined so it would be a waste of money to go that route.
@rebelann Exactly!
Also, do good in school and get scholarships.
I honestly believe that if a student doesn't make good grades then maybe she/he should go for vocational training instead.
@rebelann I agree.
Hello! i grduated college and i think you are right, i believe there are ways so that kids find out their passion, and make buisness!! i wish that was reality for everybody...too much pressure
Yes, too much pressure. It's more important that students be able to support themselves instead of going into debt to go to college.
@rebelann yes deffinitely
Not bad suggestions but it always happens that kids can't wait to go to college and then wind up in debt. I guess I did the right thing back in the late 1970s and early 1980s I did not go away to any college my mom could not afford that. I went to a college right where I lived in NYC and I also managed to get much additional support due to the fact that my mom was my only provider. When I finished I had not debt and I was glad.
I went to a business college. I didn't go into debt at all and when I finished I was able to find a job eventually, jobs are never easy to find for those with no experience
My daughter didn’t go into debt, she had a job, and my help. She did well ended up in the medical field. There are community colleges that are affordable, a lot depends where you live and what jobs are available.
Very true. It also depends on a students ambition. Some just are not cut out for academics and shouldn't be pushed to make mom and dad proud by going to college. I'm glad your daughter is the exception. So many doctors and nurses are in debt because of the loans they incurred.
High schools really should spend time informing students about vocational education. What a lovely pillow Gracie made.
I think schools are spending way too much time on athletics instead of actually teaching kids the things they'll need to know when they go job hunting.
@JESSY3236 (10028)
When I went to high school, we did have two paths we could take. Although it took many years to go to college.
I graduated in 1969 and I don't recall a lot of talk about college at my school.
Here we set store by vocational training and vocational education too.There is no need for every student to go to college,all kinds of talent are needed in our society.
That is the way it should be, I think too many parents expect too much of their children sometimes.
They do suggest vocational but so many parents push for a college education even when their child isn't suited for one.
I think too many parents pressure their kids way too hard to get a college education.
@sallypup (32946)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That photo has nailed me with its aw shucks! cuteness. Just a mouth opener. I hear you about the education bit. I messed around in the university dorms and had fun but came out without a way to pay for stuff like food.
Thank you, they were so sweet together. I remember when I got my first job and listening to the older people as they bragged about sending their kids to a university then a couple years later they were complaining about the bills those kids incurred.