Drunk driver totaled my car, then ran

On August 31st, my friend (RGD) was hit by a drunk driver in my car...twice. Thankfully, he was not killed or injured. It was about 9:00 p.m. and RGD was getting ready to make a left turn into the street two blocks from his home, after the oncoming traffic was cleared. He had taken his foot off of the brake pedal and the truck came up behind him, hitting him and pushing him toward the right side of the lane, against the guard rail. Then, there was a second impact, as if the driver of the truck might have slammed on the brakes, but hit the accelerator instead. Or maybe he did it purposely (?). Once they were both stopped, RGD and the driver of the 4x4 truck got out of their prospective vehicles. RGD said that the other guy was obviously very drunk, and came where the vehicles had hit to look at the damage and said something, though it was completely incoherent. He turned around to go back to the cab of his truck. RGD thought he was going to get his license and other documents. The driver got into his truck, backed up, and sped off. A hit and run. It is likely that his airbags activated, and he drove off with them like that. RGD was so stunned that he did not think to take out his phone to get a photo of the truck, the driver, or the license plate. It took the State Police over 30 minutes to arrive on the scene. The tow truck driver that picked up my vehicle stayed there until all was over. I'm not sure if RGD walked the two blocks home or if the tow driver dropped him off. RGD went to clear the vehicle out of all the property, but because it was in my name, even though he had the right to drive it, I needed to sign all the paperwork to clear it out. I went back with him last Wednesday. Once I saw the vehicle, I instantly wept. It was much worse than I had imagined. I did not weep for the vehicle, but for the realization of just how lucky RGD was not to have been hurt at all. As well, if the drunk driver had hit him just a little more to the left, based on how damaged the car ended up, there might have been a much different outcome. Tragically, there are many people who are killed or hurt in these situations. In this case, it is a hit and run, and the responsible party will likely never be held accountable for his actions. But I am glad that RGD is okay. I am also glad that he was driving my 2004 Chevy Malibu. It was always a sound car. I bought it new and it was an excellent car, even with the 165,000 miles on it. I miss those heated seats already! Had he been driving the Nissan Versa (which I am driving until we figure out my insurance and the settlement from them since we cannot go after the driver's insurance, if he had any), or his small pickup truck, there is no telling what might have happened. Photo is my own.
What a shame he could not take a photo of the 4x4 truck. The police took a very long time to get there, no way that they could get the truck after half an hour. I have to remember to replace the camera in the car... you never know. I hope the insurance will pay for the damages. I know that they do not give a lot for old cars, the actual value of your car.
I doubt that they will offer much more than $1500 or $2000, even though it was in very good condition and well-maintained. In April, I spent $800 for new brakes on it, and last December put new tires on it. The engine and other systems were all in good shape, and I expected to have it a couple more years and get it to the 200K miles mark. I am going to try to negotiate with them to the $4000 level. I think I can make that case, so of course will come in higher to come down to $4000. My guess is that we will likely settle on $3000-3500.
@TheSojourner When we gave in our old Ford Fiesta to buy a new car they gave us almost nothing, only $400 that covered the fees of the documents and the leasing on the new car. I hope you will get a lot more for your car.
@LadyDuck thank you
@velvet53 (21225)
• Palisade, Colorado
Thank goodness RGD is still with us. I hope some day that they find that driver and makes him pay for what he did. That is a lot of damage. I know how well those Chevy Malibu's were back then. Two years ago I lost my 2003 Chevy Malibu. It broke my heart because like you, we knew how good those vehicles were. God bless both of you.
Yes, the Malibu is great in those couple of years. I'm not sure that it's worth the money now
@velvet53 (21225)
• Palisade, Colorado
@TheSojourner I have been watching what people are getting for cars around here and those year of Malibu's are doing good.
@velvet53 It is a good car, but I know the insurance company will likely try to screw me on it.
He is so very lucky, to be hit twice and walk away from it. I had a car like that, it was as solid as they made them.
You had a Malibu? It was a great car.
@TheSojourner Yes, my very first car was a navy blue Chevy Malibu.
@Juliaacv I've had many different cars, but it was my favorite.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad he is ok and it is only the car that was lost. It is surprising looking at your pictures.
I know. I was so overcome with emotion when I saw the vehicle because she was standing there.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Hubbies last accident almost totaled his truck on the drivers side. I know how you felt as I was surprised he had no cuts at least or worse when I got there to pick him up.
@wolfgirl569 the only other time I saw a car like that was my own that had fewer than five thousand miles on it when it was totaled. The next day if one I saw it spook the heck out of me. I'm surprised I didn't die. I did have some bruising and soreness. But there wasn't one window in my van that was not damaged except for the windshield. All the rest were broken out.
@Starkinds (13597)
I'm sorry for your friend
Thank you, Jaya. I am sorry that he had to go through that experience. I'm glad that he is okay.
@Starkinds (13597)
@TheSojourner It is a good thing that he is safe that the car was meant to be but it at least saved his life.
@Starkinds Yes, I truly believed that if it would have been his car or truck, he would have been badly injured or more.
• Rupert, Idaho
Wow, that is a lot of damage....he is lucky to have survived, and not been injured. I am sorry to hear about the accident
It is incredible that he was not injured. I'm upset that the idiot "hit and run"...
• Rupert, Idaho
@TheSojourner Yes that is incredible, for sure. I can understand, I would be upset with that as well. I remember being in an accident a few years ago and our car got totaled....I don't know what I would have done if it would have been a hit and run. So I am sorry that the person did that!
Oh that guy will get what he has coming.
Karma usually is not very kind.
@1creekgirl (17627)
That was terrible! I'm glad your friend is okay, but seems like insurance companies never give you what the car was really worth. Hope it works out better in your case.
Thank you so very much.. I'm not sure what is going to happen and how long it's going to take.
@Ronrybs (9355)
• London, England
Wow, what a wreck! Is there any chance of finding the idiot driver?
Probably a cold day in hell.
@LindaOHio (10278)
I'm sorry to hear about your car but so glad no one was hurt. Those pictures are scary.
They are very scary.
@sallypup (32946)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Your photos leave me shaking. I'm delighted that your friend made it out of this horror in one piece.
I know. Me, too. Just looking at them gives me the heebie-jeebies.