A Day to Remember

Green Bay, Wisconsin
September 11, 2001, is a day people will not forget who lived through that terrible day in history when the Twin Towers fell in New York City due to terrorist attacks. One year later, I wrote a poem to commemorate the day burned in our memories. I know some people here might remember this poem as I've shared it before. I know I shared it on the other site. I don't know if I shared it here. GOD’S TEARS Have you ever thought about God’s Tears? He cried on September 11, 2001 People from every walk of life suddenly sought God For the first time the ACLU took a back seat to prayer We didn’t ask congress if we could pray we just did Why Because it was the day God cried America Land of the free Home of the brave Our freedoms were in question And heroes were born in a day Ordinary people doing extraordinary things Reaching out to people they never knew To defend a God they didn’t know And God cried In New York City, Washington D.C., and a field in Pennsylvania Across our land terrorism now haunts our shores We declared war They declared a holy war Let freedom ring has been our cry But what price-freedom And God cried America is no stranger to battles for freedom We fought before against tyranny Did we forget the lessons of our past? Have we forgotten why we are a nation God protects Why we proclaim freedom and justice for all America has fought many battles, but never for God This is something new America stands for freedom But at what cost And God cried God is the God of the fatherless, and the widow He’s mercy justice and forgiveness all in one Love your neighbor as you love yourself And we did that day We took care of our fellowman We wiped the tears Looked for loved ones Helped on food lines Gave blood We hugged, cried, mourned and said our good-byes And God cried Days and weeks of media coverage Glued to our TV’s and radio’s Looking for answers Newsmen choked on the pictures that words could not describe It wasn’t ‘Goodnight until Tomorrow’ It was ‘We’ll be back tomorrow if God is willing’ The flag unfurled Moments of silence Last words of love Candles in the darkness And God cried God bless America rang out from shore to shore Prayer services Churches were filled Flags were waved Red white and blue was seen everywhere Tee shirts Bumper Stickers Compassion Family Friends Unity And God cried He said He would walk with us through every storm He would dry our tears And calm our fears If we would but call on His name With outstretched arms He welcomed our loved ones home I’m proud to be an American To live where freedom reigns As long as we don’t bow to injustice and tyranny We will always be free And we cried 12 September 2002, Valerie Jean Routhieaux Today is known as Patriot Day. Where were you when the towers came down, the Pentagon was attacked, the plane crashed in Pennsylvania? It is a day of memories. Thanks for reading.
@Nakitakona (13110)
It's a gruesome acts did by the terrorists. Not only God cried at that fateful day and not only America mourned, but the whole world sympathized and condole.
Thank you. Yes, it was a sad day for America.
@Nakitakona (13110)
@just4him That's the tragic moment in American history.
@Nakitakona Yes, it was.
Thank you so much for sharing your poem with us. I was teaching when I heard the news. Many parents came to school to bring their children home.
I'm sure that was a hard day to see parents come to collect their children. Thank you.
@just4him The kids were too young to understand the gravity of what was happening. Many parents were frightened with good reason.
@Corbin5 I'm sure they were too young to understand. I'm sure the parents were frightened.
@MarymargII (11766)
• Toronto, Ontario
A very sad day and I am glad that they are commemorating it and paying tribute to the lives lost--- and to the first responders who lost their lives as well.
Yes, it is a sad day. I'm glad they are giving tribute.
@Elizaby (5119)
• Pensacola, Florida
I remember seeing the poem on the other site and clearly remember that day. I was working as a medication tech in a assisted living facility when the news came across the big screen tv in the front lobby next to the dining room stunning everybody. I can still hear a retired navay captain who flew planes off air craft carriers during WW@ and Korea sitting looking at the TV and all he would say is "we're at war"
It's a sad memory you won't forget.
• Sonora, California
Beautiful poetry! I absolutely loved this, and I will never forget!
Thank you. I'm glad you like it. No, it's something we won't forget.
@Aleskys (216)
• Venezuela
Beautiful poem, and if it is a day that nobody will ever forget and live in history as one of the most horrific attacks we have seen that even God cried that September 11.
Thank you. Yes, I know I will never forget it.
@cacay1 (46603)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
No one can forget that evil act of Bin Ladin..so many perished and so many in deep pain. It's this day's date that horrible fate that happened.
Yes, it is. I'll never forget it.
@cacay1 (46603)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him , it remains to the hearts of the Americans and to other countries about that gruesome act.
@cacay1 Yes, it does.
what a lovely poem, ms. valerie. i'd the need to try'n 'xplain to a sweet lady i 'twas caretakin'. she 'twas 103 'n blind. i'm so glad she couldn't see the pics that kept flashin' 'cross the t.v. screen, jest the newscasts brought great tears.
I'm sure it did bring great tears. Thank you.
@just4him yer welcome.
@rakski (36875)
this is a lovely poem
Thank you.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
Lovely poem. I was home cleaning and mom called to tell me.
Thank you. Nobody called to tell me. I found out when I got to work.
@CarolDM (40806)
A nice poem you have written. I feel for all of the families.
Yes. I read today that 3000 people were killed in the attacks. Thank you.
Thanks for this post lest we forget 9/11 my friend.
You're welcome.