I may go back to volunteering at the library for a career as a librarian

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I used to volunteer at my local library then i got sick again and my symptoms got worse and i ended up in the hospital last year around this time so i stopped volunteering. But on Tuesday my case manager and i saw each other so she could take me for a blood test as i needed my mood stabilizer level checked and i got y every six-month blood tests for my primary care doctor a month ahead of my visit in October So we had to fill out papers for our goals and things like that and we decided i am probably going to volunteer again at the library if they will accept me back. plus we are going to take the bus to our local community college library to see a bigger one than the one where i go. THEN when i can go back to school i will probably go for library science and become a librarian! that is what i really want to do! if you could go back to school what would you study?
I did study 2 professions back when I was young. I would go the same. I ended with what I wanted most: literature.
i studied Literature too when i started college in 1990! i wanted to get a Ph.D and teach college level now i think i want to be a librarian the most
@Marty1 Follow your heart.
@marguicha that is what i am doing in seriously going to think about going forth to study library science
@kareng (18193)
I would probably go to law school. If not that, journalism.
My cousin is a lawyer om Florida and is making a fortune but is very busy as the only bad part of the job i can picture you in journalism as you write so well on here it would be natural for you to make career of it
@kareng (18193)
@Marty1 I did freelance writing for several years and wrote for a couple of national magazines. I also had some stories published in several of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. One day I'll buckle down and start that novel.
@kareng I thought you wrote exceptionally well. I didn't know you wrote professionally. do you have an idea for a book? i hope you get to write that book as i am sure it will be a best seller!
How exciting! I think volunteering at the library will be wonderful for you. I would be a heart surgeon.
you are smart enough to be a heart surgeon! don't blood and things like that bother you? i love reading about medical things and devour medical books but the blood kept me from becoming a doctor. by the way, Onnie devoured medical books took some tests and is now officially named Dr. best chef in the galaxy two years in a row King Onyx Meow as he is a doctor now and had always been a chef!
@Marty1 I wanted to be a heart surgeon when I was a kid, but my mother talked me out of it. My husband was willing to send me to med school years ago, but worried about where my residency would be. He didn’t want me away from him and the kids, nor did he want to disrupt his career while he was flying high.
@DianneN i am so sorry. My heart doctor did his studied all over the world so maybe that was why your husband was worried i would go to you over my heart doctor!
• Rupert, Idaho
That is great that you used to volunteer....I am sorry you got sick and stopped volunteering. Hopefully they were accept you back, best of luck! If I could go back to school....I would study culinary arts to be a chef! I did go to college for a degree in liberal arts, but I didn't finish it.
It was a great time volunteering at the library. i have to volunteer as my case manager says if i can't keep up volunteering i wouldn't be able to work in a library. I also hope they accept me back. My mental health peer says if i decide to go back to volunteering she will talk to Julie who is a sweetheart and head of the library! I went to college in for liberal arts to at a community college and hoped to get that degree and then study literature. then i really got sick and ended up in the hospital eight times in the next five years and never got back to college what were you going to do with a liberal arts degree?
• Rupert, Idaho
@Marty1 Glad you had a good time volunteering at the library....and oh okay -- that makes sense. I hope you get accepted, and that would be great for her to do that! That's great that you were studying for liberal arts too. I am sorry you got sick though, and never got back to college. That's a lot of times to be in the hospital! I really didn't know what I was going to do with the degree....I just wanted to finish it so I had it. Not sure what you could use it for really!
@MommyOfEli2013 Yes it was a nice time volunteering at the library Yes, and i refuse to be admitted to my 12th hospitalization and am working hard on my mental health so i am never an inpatient again! they do say thede days a liberal arts degree doesn't have a lot of career opportunities but if possible i want the liberal arts degree then get a four-year library science degree
That's good news that you're going to be volunteering again at the library. Good luck with helping out at the larger one too.
I am sorry if i gave the wrong impression! i am only seriously considering volunteering where i did last year at my local town library. the community college library we are just going to visit together but not sure why? i would think the college library would only use students at the college to volunteer?
@Marty1 I am going to our library today for a writing group meeting. Perhaps I'll get some books while I'm there.
@JudyEv that sounds delightful! i couldn't go to a library and not get books!
• Peoria, Arizona
That sounds like so much fun. I never want to go back to school but if I had to for whatever reason then I would either love to get a degree in education or psychology.
back when i started college i wanted to get a degree in literature and teach college level, what did you want to teach?
• Peoria, Arizona
@Marty1 I am not sure. Probably English or psychology. I would have loved to teach high schools. I dabbled on getting my license for substitute teaching, but I don't drive so traveling would be near impossible.
@DesirousDreamer I was willing to teach English as for a while i was thinking of going back online and studying English language and literature as a major the college i was looking at had as the major. it will be hard for me to teach also as i don't drive either
@rakski (36875)
wow, that is a great news!
thank you!
@rakski (36875)
@Marty1 welcome
Law, I have always loved the law.
you should go back as you would make a great lawyer! My cousin is a lawyer in Florida and is making a fortune in it. my cousin was always brilliant and so are you!
Good evening.Not sure.But it will be writiing.Penmanship I love
I hope you do go back one day for writing! I like penmanship but am very bad at it.
@Aleskys (216)
• Venezuela
In my poais there is a saying that says; What is of the priest goes to the church, what he means is that if it is what you have always wanted so you have difficulties along the way you will achieve it so go ahead ...
that sounds good! I do think it is my goal and i am working towards it!
That sounds like a wonderful goal Jennifer. I think being a librarian would be a great career. Since I love to read I've always been a frequent visitor to the library.
I love to read too, My peer is taking me to the library to get books each time we see each other as that is our new goal for the next six months have you ever thought of being a librarian?
@CarolDM (40806)
Maybe psychology. Good luck!
thank you! that is a great thing to go back for!
Yes, volunteering at the library will be a very good thing for you to do and help you structure your day more.