My sister made lasagna with jarred sauce

My dad texted us what he was having for dinner--chicken, plain quinoa, and a salad with just balsamic vinegar. He is working really hard to lose weight. My sister's response? "LOL We had lasagna." I replied with "I want lasagna" and she said "I used jarred sauce. You must be appalled." That made me laugh out loud for real. In my Italian family we make our sauce from scratch and sometimes even our pasta! She then followed up with "in my defense it was a $5 jar of sauce and not Prego". I was dying. My father said that he was disappointed in her but I know he was just joking. She has 2 young kids and doesn't have the luxury of time to make homemade sauce and then layer a lasagna and THEN bake it. It is just funny to me that we are joking about jarred tomato sauce. Most people buy it in the jar. My ex bought a bunch of $1 jars of sauce and lived to regret it. I make my own 99% of the time. My dad does too. My sister used to but she just doesn't have the time these days.
Isn't it possible to freeze the sauce?
Yes you can make sauce and freeze it.
@NJChicaa Might be a good gift idea to make her some that she could freeze.
@ScribbledAdNauseum That's a good idea
I would prefer home-made sauce over commercial ones.
I do as well
@NJChicaa You know exactly what you put in it and it is suited to your taste.
My mother always makes it from scratch.
As she should!
I can ADD a jar of tomato sauce to a homemade sauce, mainly for the color in winter (when I don´t get the tomatoes I like). But a lasagna made only with jarred sauce is not something I´d like to eat.
I agree with you. I prefer lasagna with homemade sauce.
When you have little ones life is busy so everything is done the quick and easy way. I like to make my own and freeze it but sometimes I will get lazy and use the jar stuff.
I only use jarred stuff if I'm making multiple dishes of things for sale or for parties. Even then I usually make the sauce myself.
@rakski (38190)
My husband prefers the homemade sauce too.
I think everyone does
The only people I know that don't ocassionally use jarred sauce are those that have a big vegetable garden and can their own tomatoes and make sauce from that. Most people don't have time for that..or the luxury to grow their own garden.
I think most people use jarred sauce. I get that.
I am also half Sicilian Chicaa. Jarred sauce is a no no but yes it is very funny you were joking about it I get it.
Hahaha I wouldn't make home-made sauce either. There are limits.