That's it, We're Cutting the Cord

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cakesquared/8147897349
@HazySue (33226)
We got our cable bill a few minutes ago and were shocked by the amount. Our cable bill went up $28 and change since last month. Unbelievable. There was no warning, they just sent up this unbelievable increase included in our bill. No, we aren't getting anything added to our service. It's the same old,, same old service. So I called up the cable company and asked them what is going on. They were very matter of fact about the increase. I just couldn't believe it. As I was talking to the customer service person my hubby, whose name it is in, is saying in the background, cut the *Bleeping* thing off. So at the end of our billing period we will no longer have cable TV. I will still have interact, I could never do without it, but TV will be antenna and VUDU, and Netflix. Actually it will be a relief to not have to pay for this cable anymore. I just can't see paying what they want for the privilege of watching the same shows over and over. Guess I will be finding some new favorite shows to watch. Have you cut the cord" Are you thinking of doing so?
• Lenox, Georgia
We have never had cable, we watch free things online such as Tubitv. They have tons of options on there! We use internet from our phones hot spot.
I have watched TubiTV through Roku.
• Lenox, Georgia
@JohnRoberts Yeah, I just use it on my laptop or phone and it's great! =)
@HazySue (33226)
@LovingMyBabies I will definitely check out TubiTV it sounds like a winner.
@LindaOHio (12875)
We'd sure like to. Our cable bill is $200 a month (includes phone and internet). You're right about the same shows being on all the time. We just have't decided what we want to do. Hope you have a good day!
@topffer (38851)
• France
Very expensive compared to what we pay in France, between $25 to $50 for cable tv/internet/fixed phone.
@LindaOHio (12875)
@topffer Wow! What a bargain!
@topffer (38851)
• France
@LindaOHio We have 4 main providers competing.
We have no cable and no Netflix, we get TV though our Internet provider, we have many free channels with our Internet subscription.
@HazySue (33226)
That's wonderful. I wish we had the same thing here.
@HazySue It is a good plan.
I am so happy you can finally do this Susan. I did this around 3 yrs or more ago.
@HazySue (33226)
We are going to be glad we did it too. I am looking forward to saving that money.
@FourWalls (21378)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Cut it two years ago. Don’t miss it in the least. The only thing I watch is baseball, and an annual subscription to MLB is less than one month’s cable bill.
@HazySue (33226)
I am pretty sure I may miss a couple of shows for a week or so but after that...it will be good.
@peavey (16906)
I was all set to cut the cord last fall when my bill kept getting higher and higher. I called them and told them I wanted to, and they kept trying to talk me into staying. Finally, they gave me a deal where it was cheaper to keep basic cable TV plus the internet than to just have the internet. Weird, I know, but I did that. I told them I was on a strict budget and couldn't afford a dime more. I hardly ever watch TV on the TV, because I know at some point they will start to increase the charges again and I won't keep it. There is a LOT of content online and I have come to prefer it because I can pick and choose what I want to watch when I want to watch it and a lot of it is free anyway. If you start exploring online options I don't think you will miss cable TV
@HazySue (33226)
If that had been the case I would have kept the basic cable to get the internet cheaper. I don't know why but our internet is not going to cost as much as I thought it would. Hopefully they told the truth about the price. If not I will be going elsewhere.
@peavey (16906)
@HazySue I would, too. I hate it when they quote a price then it keeps edging up and up and up. There comes a point where it's just not worth it.
@HazySue (33226)
@peavey So do I. They ask for more money and seem to give you less.
I've deleted the cable a while back & being I have internet I & just watch what I find on you tube (not LIVE STREAMING) just certain videos that I can find & save me a LOT of money every month.
@HazySue (33226)
That's what I like about cutting the cord. I can use that money better than they can.
@HazySue it saves me from cable & live streaming a BUNCH of $
You might look into some cable cuttng alternatives that do live t.v. I would recommend SlingTV but tell your hubby not to expect much in the way of sports coverage. It is still worth trying in my opinion. Of course if you are pleased with netflix and vudu then that is all fine and good to.
@HazySue (33226)
I think if I find them lacking I will try a couple of other free tv options.
@HazySue There was another service that was talked about on mylot not too long ago. I can't recall the name of it but I can't try it because it's not available on roku. However, I was impressed with the price of it. If I can remember it, or come across the discussion, I will let you know. You are right, there are plenty of free apps.
I have some cable channels on my roku given to me by a friend. I would not get cable unless streaming was not an option. With hulu I am all good.
@HazySue (33226)
I have a friend that has Hulu and loves it.
@HazySue she could make you a profile and share the profile. I share netflix and hulu with someone.
@HazySue (33226)
15h
@sharon6345 I knew about sharing the Netflix but had no idea you could share Hulu.
@Raelove (18524)
• Saco, Maine
I cut the cord last year when my bill was up close to $180. I kept just the internet, which also just went up by $4 for no reason. I got an indoor antenna, which doesn't work well at all here, as we have too many trees around this place for a clear signal to get through. And I got a Roku for streaming, which I also don't much care for. I think Netflix is way overrated...I rarely find anything I like to watch there. And all the new movies from 2018/2019 are geared to younger people. I don't watch TV series, so it's a waste for me. I use Sling, which is also much more expensive than it's worth, so I end up spending AS much for TV as I would if I still had cable. Still, I'd rather give that money to someone else other than Spectrum.
@HazySue (33226)
Our interne4t will be going up four dollars in November. Any more that that and I will be look for a new internet provider. Spectrum is who we were with.
@Raelove (18524)
• Saco, Maine
@HazySue Yup, a $4 increase here, too. The problem is that here, there is no one else that provides high speed internet. Spectrum pretty much owns it all.
@HazySue (33226)
@Raelove That's too bad.
I cut the cord last year. I have my Roku, Vudu, Netflix, Hulu, and CBS All Access. I'm doing free Vudu. Everything I have costs less and gives me more than my cable did.
@HazySue (33226)
We do the free Vudu. We also have Amazon Prime because of the shipping being free. I ship a lot of items.
@HazySue Is there a charge for Amazon Prime?
@HazySue (33226)
@just4him There is If I remember it correctly, it is around $16 a month. By the way, someone told me TubiTV is free and has some good selections on them. I think it was @LovingMyBabies
@Janet357 (30583)
to be honest, you did the right thing. i dont.watch tv anymore .just youtube. and it.saves me.a lot.
@HazySue (33226)
I understand there is some free youtube you can get. I will check it out.
@peavey (16906)
@HazySue There is a lot of free youtube. Some of it is reruns of TV shows, but there are free movies, documentaries and a lot more. I just looked up your NCIS and they have it, too. You won't find this week's episode this week, but it will get there eventually.
@HazySue (33226)
@peavey I don't care when I watch it as long as I get it. Thanks.
i have several shows that i watch on TV that would make it hard to stop cable. i read during commercials but may consider cutting cable in the future
@HazySue (33226)
A lot of the shows end up on the streaming sites and you can watch them there. It may not be current but at least you get to see them in time.00000000
@HazySue tried that but none offer the shows i watch or one has to pay extra on them, I asked my sister about it and she refused to let me cancel as she knows how much i watch our cable
@HazySue (33226)
15h
@Marty1 it's too bad. I will be doing my happy dance each month when I save the money.
My husband is the one who keeps cable. He does so for all the sports. I could not care less about cable.
@HazySue (33226)
I am not as much of a watcher as the hubby but I do have a favorite show that I will not be able to see. I think I can buy a season tape though.
@HazySue I am always reading a book when the TV is on and I really pay so little attention to it. I wish my husband would ditch cable.
@HazySue (33226)
@Corbin5 I am on the computer, stitching, designing or reading usually when the tv is on.
I have never had cable I watch everything through the net or watch DVDs or videos
@HazySue (33226)
You are lucky. I have watched NCIS faithfully since it's beginning. I will miss it but to tell the truth there are no other4 shows that I watched as faithfully.
@HazySue (33226)
@RasmaSandra I will have to look into it further. Thanks.
cut the cord long 'go - they're prone to rate 'ncreases 'n cuttin' local channels 'round these parts. i did run a new scan'n the t.v. the other day'n 'twas quite shocked that our small selection 'f channels grew to 33! yup, now we get grit, abc 's well 's many other channels we didn't e'en know 'xisted. all from a $20 lil antenna stuck to the window, lol.
@HazySue (33226)
We love Grit. We can get it sometimes with the antenna, hopefully it will start coming in all the time.
@HazySue sure hope ya can, hon. i prefer watchin' those ol' westerns 'n other ol' shows to most 'f the new schtuff, lol. well, i'd prefer no t.v. 't all, but that aint gonna happen.
@HazySue (33226)
@crazyhorseladycx For the most part it is background noise for me. But, there are a couple of shows that I do enjoy.
@dgobucks226 (19045)
When mine was raised I asked the cable company if their was any promotion currently going on they could put me into otherwise I would have to give up the TV programming. They worked with me to find a cheaper alternative and since I had internet I was placed in a Double Play Promotion plan which kept my cost from increasing. They don't really want to lose your business so a good service rep will find some way to keep you. If they don't cooperate I always ask to speak with a supervisor. That usually works every time! Another tip: call to find a promotion 1 month before your yearly contract expires before they raise your rates. Otherwise they always increase your bill. Sorry you had to cut the cord
@HazySue (33226)
Some companies will work with you and some have their hands out for the money. You are lucky. We finally decided we have just plain had it.
@dgobucks226 (19045)
@HazySue I see your point. The company will probably be calling you in a few months to try and get you back.
@porwest (18573)
For a while I was thinking about cutting the cord. What with all of the options now like Roku which let's you access Prime and Sling and Netflix, Hulu and others... The problem is that now this seems to be the trend and each of these services now have exclusive content, and more and more certain programming will not be available unless you subscribe to a particular service... By the time we get done we'll have 12 services that will all add up to exactly what we paid for cable if we want to see all of our shows. Everyone wants their money, and no one is going to save in the end when all is said and done if you ask me.
@HazySue (33226)
If you use the free services you will be absolutely getting a good amount of shows and movies.
@porwest (18573)
@HazySue That's the thing. The free services will never have the total package of things you would want. Eventually your choices will be so limited you will be asking yourself, "What's the point?"
@nela13 (23857)
• Portugal
That was a high increase in your bill, you did right cutting it, I would have done the same.
@HazySue (33226)
We were shocked. There was no warning. Even before the increase we thought it cost too much.
@nela13 (23857)
• Portugal
@HazySue you will have a great service with Netflix and it is cheaper.
• Israel
@HazySue I hate when something like that goes up and you were not told about the amount going up. I had a cable like that and they never fixed the problem and when Netflix finally came to Israel I cancelled it and have Netflix now. Yes, I cut the cord and every so often they called up thinking I would go back to them. I never would. I love Netflix and have lots to watch on it.
@HazySue (33226)
It seems that more and more people are cutting the cord. It is just so expensive to have able. It's one of the things we can cut without changing the quality of our lives.
• Israel
@HazySue I hated the cable I had and there were only two choices and the other one did not have programs I liked. This one at one time had programs but then it acted up and the technicians would not listen to me about the problem or fix it and took the easy way out and the programs became repeats and hated it and when Netflix came I got rid of it and never wanted it again and it was expensive and took Netflix and even though it went up it is still cheaper than the other one. I love Netflix and so much to choose from.