Monday, June 22--Up early today & catching up a little

It is 10 a.m. as I start to write this. I've been up for several hours, and I figured that I should get on over here to spend a little time. Limiting or removing self from social media Some of you already know that I have grossly limited my online time here at myLot, as well as disabling my Facebook account, and deleting my Instagram account. Interestingly, I have been sleeping more hours, and seem to be getting better sleep. Many other things are going on right now for me with some other issues. My foot seems to be healing nicely after the avulsion fractures. (I never did go to the foot specialist.) I do have a major issue going on with my knee, which has prevented me the exercise/walking/hiking that I have learned to love so much. With the COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent isolation since March, and then these other health issues, I have not wanted to be around many people, regardless online or off. Missing people Quite honestly, I have missed certain people, but I haven't missed the social-media time, if that makes sense. That does not mean that I do not love and care about those I know, in person and online, but it's interesting that with certain apps, many have not even known I was gone. I remember several years ago, when I had over 600 people on my former Facebook account, 60% I knew personally, another 20% I had met face-to-face from online, and the other 20% were through online connections. Of those over 600 people, there were three people who noticed I was gone. One emailed me a week after I shut the account; another a month later; and the third (one of my dearest friends in life) one-and-a-half years later, mentioned that she couldn't find me on Facebook! I am happy to be in contact with several people that I know from online, and it makes for some great conversations. I appreciate the communication via phone calls, and WhatsApp phone calls. Moving forward for the summer I will continue to be very limited here, but will pop-in from time-to-time. I know that I have a crap-load of notifications to get to, through which I will try to work my way. I did get a few of them done before beginning this. I can't promise much more. Honey is doing fairly well. She is starting to sleep and snore more. Her tummy and bowels are starting to have some issues. Our walks are not nearly so frequent with my foot and knee problems. RGD comes out about once a week to visit and she gets plenty of exercise. I have been doing my best to maintain my weight without the exercise. I'm still sitting at about 5lb/2+kg heavier than I was on April 1st. I'm not fretting about it. I do recognize that I must take care to limit the types of carbohydrates I eat. Frugal cooking Yesterday, I spent several hours in the kitchen roasting vegetables: Butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, eggplant, sweet bell peppers. I found the squash and sprouts on sale, already prepped, for $1 a package. I bought two of each. I also made two 1-quart jars of baby cucumber refrigerator pickles--one in balsamic vinegar and garlic; the other, bread-and-butter sweet pickles. As well, I shredded green and red cabbages, and carrots. Today, I am going to make a brine to pack them in. I should have another two jars of that. Those pickled vegetables should last me a couple of months. So, that's about it... Other than that, my life is pretty boring. Some may find this whole discussion boring! LOL --I'm refilling my three hummingbird feeders once every three or four days, having seen a lot of activity this year. --Plants and cuttings are being potted or repotted. Some are doing well; others, not so much. --Watching one batch of gladioli in the big planter coming up; the other package of 35 in the ground,doing NOTHING! --Laundry: Washing & sorting through more clothes to donate; washing dog blankets every couple of days. --Waiting until July 2nd, and will get my haircut, finally, after 13 weeks since my last! I'm ready to take a steak knife to it to chop it off! (I usually have it cut every 5 weeks. Well, I just heard the washer and dryer alerts go off, so my hour is over for today. I hope all are well, and I will try to catch up on many of those notifications this week. Be safe. Stay well. Know peace. Show love. Goodbye for now.... Photo credit: Pixabay
I do understand you Coralita. I could have written your same post. I gave myself a haircut for my birthday. I picked up the kitchen scissors and cut some hair I wasn´t even able to see There´s no one to see me now. I´m alone and I rather not use the mirror. I don´t need more depression. The marigolds are dying from cold. My veggies did not even come out. I decided to spend some money I don´t have in luxuries. I just bought a heater and I will have my house warmer this winter. and kisses
@TheSojourner S**T for the arugula! Is the soil soft? It cannot be with too much clay. Basil cannot receive water in the leaves. It is picky on that. Them will bring me the heater tomorrow (I hope). They are late because of the COVID. I already talked to the sweet man who delivers the cylinders that he has to put the bigger ones himself
@TheSojourner Buy arugula seeds and don´t transplant them
@marguicha What do you mean, "don't transplant them"?
@LindaOHio (39985)
Glad to see you back. We missed you. Glad your foot is healing. I hope Honey is OK. Seems like you have plenty to keep you busy. Got my hair cut a couple of weeks ago....finally. We even went out to a restaurant...very different...partial menu, masks, social distancing. Take care and stay safe and healthy!!! Hugs.
All is fairly well here. I'll get the haircut/color, but it will be a very long time before I sit in a restaurant again. I watch the statistics across the US, and no way that I trust it. It's bad enough I have to go out for groceries, and will likely do curbside if we go back to that level of quarantine again. Glad you are doing well. Hugs.
@LindaOHio (39985)
@TheSojourner My husband still thinks we are going to travel in September; but I don't see that happening with the spikes in cases -- especially in FL.
@LindaOHio Florida would be the LAST place I'd visit right now.
Peace be with you Coral.
Thank you, Jill. And, also, with you.
@CarolDM (81880)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Always good to see you. Glad your foot is improving. Unplugging can be healthy. Take care.
It's been calming. Thank you for the kind words, Carol. Hope all is well.
@CarolDM (81880)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@TheSojourner All is well. Bird eggs hatching soon.
@CarolDM How exciting!
@wolfgirl569 (30382)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad to hear that you are sleeping a lot better and the foot has healed well. Sorry about Honey. Hopefully it is a passing thing. Have missed you bunches
Thanks, Eva. I'm going to keep doing about the same through the summer for awhile. It's nice to be unplugged. Hope all is well in your world, and with the Monster.
@wolfgirl569 (30382)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner You have to take care of you. So if this helps then keep doing it. She is still a Monster. Just knows how to talk more.
@wolfgirl569 *laughs* They do say that personalities skip a generation. ;-)
Nothing about your posts are boring. Glad your foot is healing and hope that Honey gets even better. Sometimes being offline for a bit can be a good thing. But it's good to see you post.
You are kind, Susan. I hope all is well in the Z household.
@TheSojourner We are okay. Haven't been online much the last few days or so.
@Susan2015 I understand. I'm limiting my total online time to 7 hours a week. I've already been on 3 hours today. So, I need to limit the rest of the week. LOL
@sallypup (39008)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I miss you and am glad to find a post from you. If you like I can send you my phone number. I know folks who zip over to the West side but I am too nervous to drive that far and find a motel. Plus do what when I get over there?
I think I have D's phone number in my phone, and you have mine? Do you have another number? I know what you mean by about nervousness about doing anything requiring travel, etc.
@sallypup (39008)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheSojourner New flip phones here so I need to PM you our numbers. Half the time I forget where my phone is.
Your post and life is not boring. I hope you are enjoying your days as best as you can.
Thank you, Judy. On all levels.
I'm glad you're okay - relatively so, anyway. Hope the knee comes good soon and lets you get out and about more.
Thanks, Judy. :-)
@erictsuma (3195)
• Mombasa, Kenya
You too have a very nice day, peace and love.
I appreciate that, Eric. :)
@arunima25 (41477)
• Bangalore, India
I have never found your posts boring. And looking at the long list of things to do, I bet your life is quite active and not a boring one. I had already cut down my time on social media. Have not been to FB in more than an year and so with others. Mylot is the only place where I visit. And staying away from social media gives me lot of mental peace
You are very kind, Arunima. Thank you. I have found a lot more mental peace by limiting computer time to about 7 hours a week total.
I did notice you had not been here . . . I figured you would be back on your own time, when you were ready. I'm glad you're here today . Although I am always "thinking", this pandemic sure confirmed a lot. If/when we come out of this, I will remember how it was or wasn't . . . I'm clearing out more than just "things" during this time. Oh humans can be so disappointing, but well, I guess I already knew that. I hope Honey's tummy feels better - good that RGD can give her weekly workouts. Hope your foot and knee can heal up soon too! Every time I cook, I think of you . I should learn to make pickles . . . I bought some kim chee the other day - I should really learn to make my own. This is not boring - this is life speaking - we're all trying to get through it! Been working outdoors lately . . . I'm learning a lot about gardening this year. And learning about the critters that come by. Chores are ongoing. I'm going to grow my hair out until I feel completely safe to go get it cut - not now - not for a while. Pandemic life. Take care . . . will try to do the same here . . . we chat when we chat . . . love you lots!
Pickles for me....vinegar, sometimes sugar, spices. I do it with all kinds of veggies. :-) Do you make Tsukemono? I would love to learn the Japanese style of pickled veggies. Maybe it's not so much different in theory as how I do mine. Hugs and much love to you. I sent you a DM with info.
@TheSojourner Yes, got your msg . . . I just responded - thank you! I have never made pickles - not even tsukemono . I remember my mom used to make it all the time with nappa cabbage (I think) . . . but I never learned from her. She made it in this plastic thing with a top thing you twisted down so the nappa gets squished. I'm sure loads of salt - and she probably threw in MSG. I'll have to make some . . . oh - maybe they will make good food gifts for my parents!
@much2say I'm going to try this once I finish up all my other things in the fridge.
Brined in salt, kombu and chili flakes, this palate-cleansing Japanese Pickled Cabbage makes a perfect accompaniment to a traditional Japanese meal.
@Adie04 (5112)
I believe you did a good job removing yourself from social media. I did too, deleting my fb and ig account, and so much I can do at offline world. Negativity from social media are automatically removed too.
I haven't missed FB much, and IG not at all.
@Adie04 (5112)
@TheSojourner that's good. I also detached myself from fb and ig and I feel good about it
@Adie04 (5112)
@TheSojourner In my opinion, twitter is not that noisy compared to other social media, I believe.
maybe some pen pals? Im terrible at letter writing but Im game if you are.
I'm terrible at letters, but post cards are fun for me. Let me know.