I Was Impressed

By DKM
When I was a teen, I remember my mom driving my little sister to her piano lessons twice a week. I remember trying to study and how my sister's piano practicing made my studying difficult. ANNOYING I remember having to accompany my mom to my sister's piano recitals. BORING!! My sister bought a new house, and I went over to her new place to help her organize a few things. Sis has a baby grand piano in her living room and an upright piano in her family room. Sis played both pianos for me, and I was treated to the most beautiful music. ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL! Sis's years of piano lessons really paid off, big time.
I took piano lessons for 8 years and still can't play beautifully. However, my father enjoyed my music and sang or hummed along when I practiced.
You provided some lovely entertainment for your dad. That in itself was worth all those lessons.
@Corbin5 Thanks. I agree. He was very proud of me.
That is lovely that all that practice paid off. I remember falling asleep to my brother's piano practice. He did not play as an adult though. At all.
I am surprised that my sister still continues to play. She has a lovely voice too.
@Corbin5 Wonderful talents to have.
@nanette64 (20283)
• Fairfield, Texas
I took piano lessons as a kid @Corbin5 . Of course now if I had a piano, the only ones playing it would probably be the cats.
Well, at least you took those lessons. Learning to play any instrument is such a plus. My brother and his wife performed all over the country due to their musical talents. I cannot carry a tune.
@nanette64 (20283)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 That is just too cool. Yeah, I use to sing Soprano but after 46 years of smoking, I now sing Bass.
@nanette64 I like a lot of bass.
As a kid, I was the one practicing piano - and I was the one who was annoyed and bored . It does help the ears when you can hear music played proficiently - that's great your sister can still play!!
She really does enjoy playing the piano. She has a pretty voice too. My brother and his wife are musically talented too and performed all over the country. I cannot carry a tune, according to my musically gifted dad. Oh well.
@Corbin5 I remember you said your family was very musical. I played piano, but admittedly I wasn't good at it . . . I just did it because my parents made me take lessons all the way to high school.
@much2say Dad had the most beautiful voice of all. He studied voice in New York. He performed a lot and drove us kids crazy with all his practicing. My siblings and I do not like opera at all due to Dad singing it all the time.
My older sister plays the piano, but I could never get it, so I don't play any instrument. I haven't heard her play in years, since she moved away.
My mom asked if I wanted piano lessons and I told her that I was too busy for that. My brother is an amazing guitarist, and he made his living doing that for years.
@Corbin5 You know, I grew up with both a piano and organ in my house, I remember playing both (nothing special, my sister taught me "Mary Had A Little Lamb" which I play on various instruments) and I don't remember being asked if I wanted lessons. Maybe because they noticed I couldn't sit still for very long.
@Carmelanirel2 Yes, for those who cannot sit still, piano lessons would be a struggle.
@moffittjc (83161)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm glad you finally grew to appreciate the delightful sounds that your sister makes on her pianos! Sounds like all those years of practice finally paid off.
Yes, that little kid practiced all the time on her own. She loved it. She has a lovely voice too. My brother is a fabulous guitarist, and he did make his living performing all over the USA playing that guitar of his.
@moffittjc (83161)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 So your brother and sister seem to have the gift of music, do you have any musical talent of your own? My brother is very gifted musically, but I wasn't so lucky! lol
@moffittjc I do not have any musical talent but I definitely enjoy music. That is good enough for me.
@Dena91 (7326)
My mother,father, brother were blessed to be musically inclined. I love music but only way I can play anything is to turn on the radio
My brother, father, aunt, and sister were musically inclined. My dad said that I could not carry a tune. He was right.
@Dena91 (7326)
@Corbin5 Glad I am not alone
@Dena91 If I was standing next to my dad when we sang hymns in church, Dad would cringe due to my not being able to carry a tune. I stopped standing next to my dad if I had to sing in church.
@thelme55 (45297)
That is great that her playing piano paid off. I love listening to piano music.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the classical music she played for me.
@thelme55 (45297)
@Corbin5 You are very lucky to have someone who played piano for you.
I'm glad the music was delightful this time and you weren't bored or annoyed.
I was quite pleased myself. I really did enjoy her little piano recital for me, and the cats too.
@Corbin5 I'm glad the cats enjoyed it too.
@UncleJoe (17888)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
The main thing I miss about a certain ex-wife is that she is a gifted pianist. She used to make cassette tapes of my favorite songs on the piano so I could listen to them while driving. I love a piano and wish I could play one.
I wish I could play one too. I was delighted when Sis played for me.
@sallypup (39015)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Such a special sister time. I'm glad for you two.
@sallypup Thank you. She is my best friend. I am so fortunate to have her in my life.
@simone10 (47901)
I always wanted to learn how to play the piano. I was once told that I had long fingers that would have been perfect for playing the piano. I'm happy that you enjoyed your sisters piano playing.
I bet your fingers were perfect for piano playing.
@simone10 (47901)
@Corbin5 That's what I was told, but I don't know that for sure.
@ridingbet (65663)
i also had my piano lessons when i was in Grade 6, elementary. my piece was Blue Danube.
That is wonderful that you had lessons. It would have been wonderful to listen to you play Blue Danube.
@ridingbet (65663)
@Corbin5 it is the simplest piece for us 4 who had Blue Danube. i still play it in our Yamaha Orga. no piano at home.
@LowRiderX (20080)
• Serbia
I never had piano lessons, somehow as a child I was more turned to sports than music
I just studied all the time and told my parents I did not have time for piano lessons. My high grades got me a college scholarship and being a member of the National Honor Society and I was happy about that.
@LowRiderX (20080)
• Serbia
@Corbin5 Yes, I understand because of too many obligations.
How nice is that? I spent hours and hours practising piano.
Oh, that is wonderful. Do you still play the piano?
@Corbin5 I taught for years but I don't play now. It's a long story.
@gr8nana6 (3126)
• Hamilton, Ohio
As children we just don't appreciate everything as we do as adults. Glad you enjoyed the piano playing of your sister.
I had not heard in play in quite a while and was amazed at how beautifully she played.
@gr8nana6 (3126)
• Hamilton, Ohio
@Corbin5 I bet it was nice
@LindaOHio (39986)
I taught myself how to read music and how to play the piano but never really mastered it. How delightful that your sister can play so well.
That is wonderful you taught yourself to read music and play the piano too My brother is a master guitarist and he and his wife traveled all over the country performing in their younger days.
@LindaOHio (39986)
@Corbin5 That's very cool!
@CarolDM (81914)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Very nice to hear your sister play. My neighbor had a grand piano and she donated it to the high school when she and her husband went to the facility recently. The school was elated.
Oh, I am sure the school was thrilled. I did notice a difference between the music coming from the upright piano and the baby grand. My brother and I were tested and we both have perfect pitch, but I cannot carry a tune and he can. My father, who studied voice in New York, informed that I could not carry a tune.
@CarolDM (81914)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@Corbin5 Yes they were. Seems no two siblings are the same.
@Adie04 (5147)
I wish if I can play a piano duet with her in the future.
Oh, that would be wonderful!!!
@Adie04 (5147)
@Corbin5 yup!
@kobesbuddy (104270)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Your sister is blessed, she practiced those lessons diligently and it paid off! Myself, I took piano lessons but never bothered practicing. Eventually I was bored silly and quit piano lessons. Today I tinker away on a piano and it's a major job to play 'row, row, row your boat.' Practice makes perfect, I didn't do it.
I cannot play any tune on the piano so you are a much better piano player than I am due to my not being able to play it at all.
That's one of the musical instruments I'd like to learn someday. I hope it isn't too late for me, though
Oh, I think a person can learn how to play an instrument at any age. I think you would enjoy the lessons.