Disrupting Nature

I know I need to leave nature alone, but not this time. I just couldn't. Yesterday I was on one side of the yard digging holes (no, I wasn't helping the squirrels ). From above, I heard the swooping of birds, but it was rather close. I caught the view at a surreal moment on the other side of the yard . . . a cooper hawk grabbed a pigeon in the air and POOF there was an explosion of feathers that fell over my small hibiscus. The hawk pinned the pigeon to the ground next to the hibiscus . I couldn't bear to witness what would come next . . . so I stood up immediately. The hawk saw me run towards them and it may have lost its focus for the moment . . . the pigeon got away. Then right over me, the hawk almost caught the pigeon in the air again but missed. Both flew away. Sorry the hawk didn't get his meal. But I'm glad the pigeon didn't become a meal - and in front of me . What would you have done ?
@JimBo452020 (15663)
• Montrose, Scotland
Well I would have filmed the Hawk getting the pigeon Then upload the video on youtube And let others enjoy watching the masacre. After the big Pigeon here killed the Sparrow babies I dont like Pigeon any more, unless eating them
I didn't have my phone on me. Oh man, I don't think I could even film the gruesome deed - not even for National Geographic. I couldn't eat pigeon, I had a pet pigeon once. I didn't think pigeon killed anything - woh - do they eat baby birds?
@JimBo452020 (15663)
• Montrose, Scotland
@much2say They do eat baby birds, gruesome lol. Pigeon tastes good. Mind you if I had a pet Pigeon I could never eat one
@topffer (40777)
• France
@much2say Pigeons were eating the food for the doves, despite of their protests. Try to give something to sparrows in a public garden, and pigeons will run on them. And they are stupid birds compared to crows or blackbirds.
@CarolDM (81914)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Oh my gosh. The hawks are what I fear for my birds, and their babies. You rescued the pigeon. Wow! I would do the same.
It's sad when these things happen to nests . . . I feel sad for those bird families . We've seen the hawk many times before, but never in action like this.
@CarolDM (81914)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@much2say Yes, you know I have lost at least two nests of babies this year.
@CarolDM So heartbreaking .
@thelme55 (45292)
OMG! I couldn´t bear the thought of the pigeon being killed by the hawk. I would have done the same like you did.
It was unreal to see that . . . I mean, I've seen it on documentaries, but never in real life like this. I'm glad the pigeon got away!
@thelme55 (45292)
@much2say I am glad that you did the right thing to save the pigeon.
@thelme55 Me too!!
• Mexico
Ahh poor pigeon, I think I might have done the same thing, because It'd be very sad to watch it die and be eaten infront of me
Nature can be ruthless, I would have stayed out of it, pigeons eat baby birds so what's fair is fair, right?
I thought about letting things be, but remember we don't have much in our backyard . . . so the hawk and pigeon arena was in very clear site . . . I would have seen all of it . I didn't even realize pigeons went after baby birds .
So do mourning doves @much2say just because they look docile doesn't mean they don't have a dark side ..... besides, to them it's food.
@rebelann Oh my gosh, I love my mourning doves . . . I've always seen their nests get attacked, but I didn't think they would do the same (I thought they only like seed stuff). But hey, the other day on a trail, we saw a ground squirrel eating a little mouse . . . couldn't believe it, but yah, anything can be food. Eat or be eaten .
@topffer (40777)
• France
Are you vegetarian ? Hawks are not. I was feeding a couple of doves a few years ago, they were coming back every year from Turkey. If you ask how I knew it it is because my cat killed one and brought it to me. It had a ring from Turkey. Doing 2000 km to go to my garden without being killed by a hunter and ending in the mouth of my cat... I stopped to feed birds. Is the hibiscus of the red variety that you drink in a tea ? I have always some at home.
I'm definitely not vegetarian - but I don't want to see any slaughtering . That hawk was bigger than I thought. My goodness - what a way to end a (life) journey - all the perils of traveling from Turkey and then a cat makes a pounce . . . the end. Doves come into our yard all the time . . . but the pigeons rarely make an appearance (they like next door better) . . . so it was surprising to see one but perhaps it was chased here. I know the hibiscus tea . . . but I'm not sure that ours is suitable for tea. It's has peachy color blooms, but it is still young and small. It was transplanted to that spot recently and is doing well . . . but now I have to go clean the feathers off of it .
@topffer (40777)
• France
@much2say I do not like that too, but what could I tell to the cat who was proud to bring it to me ? My actual cat is not a hunter. I had to buy a trap when I had a wood mouse in the house, because he was not interested, they had perhaps a secret agreement.
@topffer I don't have cats, but I have heard they do like to leave "presents" . Perhaps your cat likes the challenge of hunting flying creatures better . . . if only that mouse had wings .
we have a lot of the vultures here.They are nasty birds
Vultures - oh my gosh - really? I've never seen vultures here - they're pretty big, aren't they?
@much2say yes they are.Have to keep an eye on them.
@kanuck1 (1892)
I'm no fan of pigeons but would probably have done the same thing. If the hawk wants to eat a pigeon it will have to do it somewhere else.
Pigeons are common, but we have 3 here in particular that stick around - mostly on the telephone pole at my neighbor's. I think this may have been one of them . . . and I would have no heart to go tell my neighbor if it had happened. I'm glad I only have feathers to clean up .
Even though I would hope never to be witness to such a thing I hope I would do the same as you. Poor pigeon being an almost meal for that hawk.
I still have to clean up all those feathers . . . but I'm glad it's feathers than well, what could have potentially been left .
Wow! I would have done the same!!!! We have Cooper hawks, red tale hawks, and falcons. The red tale hawk used to circle over Doodles, not that it could lift him, so I always brought Doodles into the house when I saw it. I did run after it screaming and clapping my hands when it tried to catch a baby squirrel. We do what we can do when necessary. They have to eat, too, but let them hunt elsewhere. I hope the pigeon isn't hurting.
Oh my gosh - I can't imagine them taking a cat, but I guess they are capable of that ! I would have brought Doodles in too - eek! I wonder if the cooper hawk could do something about the squirrels that hole up my garden . The feathers look like the short inner feathers (down?) - looks like 30 of them . . . and a few of the longer feathers (wings maybe?). The pigeon was able to fly away - so I hope it's ok.
@much2say If you didn't see that red stuff on the feathers, then the pigeon will be okay. I have a feeling that the hawk now knows where it can find critters such as squirrels, too. They will return, so keep and eye peeled. And why were you digging holes like a squirrel in your yard?
@DianneN That's a good way of saying that . . . red stuff . I didn't see any red stuff - so that was good. But hopefully it didn't break anything - both wings were open and back as the hawk held him down. We've often seen him in the air and hanging out on poles and wires above - but this was the first time I've ever seen him on the ground. We are doing some very late gardening . . . I was making holes so we could plant some things in this blah area of our yard. The dirt is really hard . . . so no squirrels want to dig there .
That was quite a sight you witnessed. I would have done the same. The pigeon has a right to a longer life too.
It really took me by surprise but I don't like surprises like that. That hawk had him really clamped down - that pigeon would surely have been a goner. That's one cooking show I wouldn't want to watch .
@much2say I would have freaked out, big time!!
@Corbin5 Right - too gruesome !
What a thrilling scene ! You watched it for nothing ! You saved the pigeon's life,but then the hawk did not do anything wrong,it was just the law of the jungle.
That is true - it was just every day survival for the hawk. But it was not something I would want to see .
@much2say I understand how you felt then.It was too horrible to look at and we tend to feel sympathy with the weak.
I would have done the same. That poor pigeon. I hope he's able to grow more feathers quickly.
It looked like a lot of the inner feathers . . . and just a few of the longer ones. It was able to fly at least - and good thing it's not cold weather!
@much2say And they would have a lot of feathers, just like we have a lot of hair. Hopefully, he won't miss a few.
@moonandstars (38069)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
I would let it go. hawks are dangerous animals and, you forget, they need to eat as well. who knows, maybe he was starving for days. it does seem cruel but that's how nature works.
If it had asked me, I would have gladly made it a sandwich . There is just no way I wanted to witness a hawk ripping apart a pigeon in my yard . . . too gruesome !
That is good you helped the pigeon to escape.
I'm glad it got away . . . but I don't know what happened thereafter . . . they both flew away in the same direction .
I would have done the same thing, I know it is the circle of life but not on my watch.
Right - and not in my yard ! There are other pigeons and critters around, the hawk can't be starving that much.
I don't know about this one. You're a hero for saving the pigeon, but what about the hawk? that big poor thing could be hungry for days for all I think i know. This is nature, which is i think were getting a huge backlash (covid)for continiously disrupting it.
Yah, see, it can go either way, right? I figure there are plenty of pigeons and small birds/animals around . . . a hawk is probably keen to get anything it wants. I just didn't want it to do it's thing in our yard !
I once had to take a dove out of Luna´s beak. She must have sensed that I was mad. She has never done it again even when the doves come to help themselves with some of Luna´s feed. That dove survived Sometimes we have to go against nature.
Oh my gosh! What a sight and shock it must've been to see Luna with that dove. Good that you were able to save it!