American Comedians Must Love Trump

Trump
Germany
The German town where I live has a small theatre where comedians perform, mostly with political satire. They come from all corners of the country. Contrary to what many people ‘know’, Germans can be funny and enjoy funniness. Especially Brits are convinced that this is a myth. If one cut out the jokes made about unfunny Germans on BBC4, the programmes would be much shorter. But that is not my topic. Today I want to present my thoughts about the fact that since 2017 the job of American comedians has become really easy. They don’t have to think about topics or write text - which is what comedians do when they’re not on stage or in front of a microphone. Recently I’ve watched some American comedy programmes on TV which consisted mainly of showing Trump in person or impersonating him. Impersonating him isn’t too difficult because he has a noticeable body language - he turns his body, moves his shoulders and his fingers in a typical way - and also recurring facial expressions which aren’t difficult to imitate. What he shows most is what is called a ‘Schnullermund’ (both ‘u’ pronounced like the ‘u’ in ‘put’) in German. I’ve checked, but there is no good translation in English. The literal translation would be 'dummy mouth'. Think of a baby who bulges its lips when mommy approaches with a dummy*. Something like that. So, what am I telling you here? The best comedy acts are the ones in which the comedians let Trump do the show himself. I see them watching the news all day long and listen to what the POTUS emits, cut out the oddest statements and let them speak for themselves. No comedian could do it better. --- Photo: CNN.com * 'pacifier' in American English
@xFiacre (7645)
@maluse Well it's good to know that the man is good for something. He is indeed a wonderful source of material for satirical comedians, a bit like our Boris only a bit more dangerous.
Isn't it an insult to your Boris to compare him with Trump? I'm thinking of their IQs.
@xFiacre (7645)
@MALUSE Well yes, Boris is quite intelligent - just wrong concerning Brexit and all that.
I loved your posts and I loved the answers. I just don´t understand why so many people like Trump in spite of being what he is, saying what he says and doing what he does.
Thank you for your friendly words. :-)
• Walnut Creek, California
It's a mystery to many of us here in the US.
• Semarang, Indonesia
Nice article for me.. here, comedians are not allowed too much satire to the president
I know nothing about Indonesian politics. Maybe there isn't so much to say in the form of satire about your president as there is about Trump.
• Semarang, Indonesia
@MALUSE yes.. maybe that's right. There isn't any material to do such satire. Besides the news which is spreading is only the good one
definitely check out Sarah Coooper on Twitter. She is just DESTROYING him.
This one is GOLD /status/1253474772702429189
https://twitter.com/sarahcpr
I know this Sarah Cooper. I haven't mentioned the names of the comedians I've watched who make fun of Trump. If I had done this, I would have had to say something about them, too, and that would have made my post too long. MyLotters don't/can't read long posts. :-(
@MALUSE She is a gem!
@owlwings (42581)
• Cambridge, England
Poutin' Putin tries to calm the Tantrump!
It seems to me that the whole world's favourite hobby is Trump-baiting. We do it here in the UK (when the comedians are not making fun of BoJo and his monkey, Cummings) your newspapers in Germany do it and there are similar cartoons from all over the world. .It's hard to believe that anyone with any sense would have the gall to stand for re-election but Trump will try to suck it up, for sure, with his 'suckymouth' pout!
That's a good photo. If Trump thinks that he is par with Putin, he should think again. Putin can eat him for breakfast.
@owlwings (42581)
• Cambridge, England
@MALUSE That's exactly right!
@owlwings (42581)
• Cambridge, England
@MALUSE Putin looks as though he can get elected for another 36 year term! Gott hilf uns!
@gr8nana6 (3440)
• Hamilton, Ohio
@MALUSE I agree with you there I cannot stand the thing he does with his mouth, makes me want to smack him. And his hand gestures make me want to throw up..."Schnuller mund" is about right I would love to wipe that off his face for sure.
He also moves his body in a certain way. It looks as if he follows a script.
@gr8nana6 (3440)
• Hamilton, Ohio
@MALUSE I agree, to me it looks as if he is a "Marionette" and somebody is pulling his strings.. Can you tell that I can't stand the man, lol I couldn't stand him even before he ran for President and I definitely did not vote for him..
@gr8nana6 You've made it very clear what you think about the man! Unfortunately, we Europeans can't help you when it comes to voting. :-(
We had a newsreader once and I thought she would be impossible to make fun of. She seemed to have no quirky behaviours at all; nothing to make fun of but one night a comedian impersonated her and just slightly exaggerated tiny things about her speech, head movements, stance. It was an eye-opener really. Trump would be a cinch.
Comedians must have a very good eye and watch the person they want to impersonate intensely. I've just come across the word 'cinch' for the first time in my life! There is no end to the English vocabulary.
@MALUSE I am more aware now of how many idiomatic phrases I use but am still surprised at some words that aren't in common usage. One was 'fortnight' which a US member didn't know the meaning of. I'm curious. Is fortnight a word you know?
@JudyEv I've known 'fortnight' for ages. It may be British. Australian English is influenced by British English, not by American English due to its history. German pupils learn British English at school. We teach our pupils to write 'honour', for example, not 'honor'.
@thelme55 (45811)
Trump seems to be easy to imitate especially that ‘Schnullermund’.
That's a nice German word, isn't it?
@thelme55 (45811)
@MALUSE Yes, it is a nice German word. It is better than Schnauzer.
@thelme55 A Schnauzer is a moustache. Maybe it's not so nice for your ears because of the word 'Schnauze'?
@LindaOHio (40349)
Very true. He makes a good subject.
Thank you for your comment. It's good to see that you agree!
@Inlemay (17466)
• South Africa
I think he thrives on the publicity - whether it be good or bad, that's why he behaves like he does - and that mouth - who taught him to sound words pulling his mouth like that or is the botox in the way?
Satire at its best!
• Walnut Creek, California
If you're actually American, watching him is both amusing and disheartening. Remember that almost half of American voters voted for him to be president of the United States. That's not funny.