Frugal Dinner--Vegetarian Roasted Veggie Pizza

Tonight's dinner was SO good. I do not eat pizza very often, because most commercial and restaurant pizza is very greasy. I can't digest it easily. But tonight, I made my own. Pizza crust: From Trader Joes' $1.50 Pizza sauce: Can of tomato paste, with garlic, olive oil, oregano, dried hot pepper flakes ~$0.60 Toppings: Leftover roasted peppers, eggplant, and garlic cloves ~$0.75 Four-cheese Italian blend ~$1.00 Total for all shown: ~$3.85 for five (5) small servings Served with pickled cabbage salad, and balsamic cucumber pickles. Photo is my own.
• Sonora, California
That sounds good, minus the roasted peppers as I’m allergic.
You use what you can.
• Sonora, California
Awesome, I’m going to try that minus the peppers, I have to get groceries tomorrow anyway.
• Agra, India
Hello how are you
*hugs* Hanging in there. Just trying to keep my head above water. We're back to mandatory masks, and I think there is going to be mandatory isolation, if people don't start doing things voluntarily.
• Agra, India
@TheSojourner ohk...I'm seeing you here after so many days
@amitkokiladitya I am limiting myself to about seven hours of computer time only for the week the summer. That includes my lot, news, and being male. I've needed the break from social media and all that's going on in the news.
@oahuwriter (14496)
Mm, sounds good! I'm having, tuna salad with diced onions & mayo in celery sticks. Sorry to mention it because grease is not a friend to you, but I'll munch on crunchy Gild Emblem Cheddar Flavored Twists.
I hope the twists are delicious for you!!
@oahuwriter (14496)
@TheSojourner It is. One sale I decided to get it and like it better than original Cheetos.
@oahuwriter I never cared much for the original Cheetos. I like the crunchy ones better
@SHOHANA (10948)
• Bangladesh
Very nice menus for dinner
Thank you.
@SHOHANA (10948)
• Bangladesh
@TheSojourner my pleasure
@wolfgirl569 (30434)
• Marion, Ohio
I made pizza on garlic toast today. But we did have pepperoni and I put a hot pepper from the garden on hubbies.
On the same wave length....:-)
I have been meaning to make a pizza. I have a nice recipe for the dough with no yeast (easy). The idea of adding escalivada is perfect.
It was delightful.
I also dislike ready made pizza, now that it is so hot I prepare the dough and I cook the crust in a pan (it takes a couple of minutes, then I add the topping and I place in a not too hot oven for a couple of minutes, it reduces the oven time to a minimum.
I found in the bread section this nice chewy crust oh, so I don't have to make my own. And it was actually quite good. But I like my crust a bit crunchy oh, so I cook it till I get that crispness. But I have been making my own pizza crust recently when I make a small one.
@TheSojourner As I often make my bread, I prepare some more dough and I also prepare some pizza that I freeze ready to be put in the oven.
@LadyDuck I haven't mastered the art of bread making
• Israel
@TheSojourner I bought some little pizzas at the grocery store and can have them which I am happy about and can also add things. Your pizza looks interesting. I do not have it much either but at special times I want it.
18h
I always like to know what's on it, so that's why I make my own. I don't mind buying the pizza crust that I have found which is good, but I make my own pizza sauce which is nothing more than a can of tomato paste, olive oil, garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper. I brush it on with a pastry brush rather thick which is what I really like. And then I put whatever I have on it and just a little bit of cheese and only a special blend that I like, because I don't care much for heavy mozzarella
• Israel
18h
@TheSojourner When you make your own then you can put anything you want on it and can make it whenever you want. Sounds great that you make your own.
18h
@Hannihar and it's very simple.
• Walnut Creek, California
What the purple? I like the color contrast! Cabbage salad?
It's a pickled cabbage slaw that I made in the jar that you can see in another post. It was a small head of green cabbage and even smaller head of purple cabbage and carrots. I made a dressing with sugar, vinegar, a touch of salt, celery seed, black pepper and poured it over the grated vegetables. That is my salad for the couple of weeks.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner The dressing sounds almost like what's on the side (along with peanut sauce) when you get Satay (meat on a stick, heh) at a Thai restaurant.
@TheHorse I forgot an ingredient when I told you. I took a large sweet Vidalia onion and I grated it so it was the vinegar, sugar, onion ,celery seed, salt and pepper. When I make the dipping sauce that you mention... I use sugar, vinegar, water, garlic, hot chiles, and salt. I also like the sauce I get at Vietnamese restaurants that also incorporate fish sauce into a similar concoction with less sugar than the ones for Thai food.
@Adie04 (5317)
Ouhh..... That's for real.
Thank you!
@Adie04 (5317)
@LindaOHio (40057)
You had me at pizza. :-)
Not what most considered traditional pizza, but I like what I used!
To top it all off the pizza looks really good.
Thank you so very much.
I believe you when you say it was delicious,