About my doctor's appointment today?!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I wrote how I was going to try to get my psychiatrist to give me an anti-anxiety medicine today as I have been suffering so badly with anxiety every day, all day for months now. I talked to my doctor who told me he can't prescribe most anxiety medicines as they would act as too strong of a sedative with my other medicines. But he told me he would talk to my nurse who would call me back telling me to take allergy medicine that is called Benadryl that is not prescription that psychiatrists use for anxiety. but can be used for allergies, too they can be taken two to three times a day but she wasn't sure how may a day I should take. she is going to talk to the doctor and call me back to me on that. she told me to take one after we got off the phone. I took the medicine and so far I am only sleepy. so my day is going better than I expected. how was your day?
@moffittjc (87914)
• Gainesville, Florida
Benadryl is good for allergies and making people extremely sleepy. It looks like you are already experiencing that after taking your first one. My guess is that if they have you taking them on a regular basis, eventually your body will get used to the Benadryl and over time it will have less of a sleepy effect on you. Good luck with finding relief from your anxiety.
Thank you for the wish of luck! I was quite sleepy last night and lay down on my bed to watch TV at around 5 pm and I fell asleep so quickly that I don't remember what I wanted to watch!
@moffittjc (87914)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 Well that's good news! I mean, the sleeping part, not the missing what you wanted to watch part! haha
@moffittjc I agree as I probably wanted to watch something good! I am sleeping well, though, and I am not as nervous now
Yes, Benadryl has many uses and is relatively safe, but makes many people sleepy. My first husband took it to help with excess drooling when he had ALS. At some point it "flipped" on him and started keeping him awake.
I am going to try it. I have nothing serious to lose, and if it helps, then I will be happy. It used not to make me sleepy. but I don't care now if it is does as I just want relief
• Rupert, Idaho
Sorry that he couldn't prescribe you any with the other meds you take. Never knew Benadryl could be taken for anxiety...that's different!
Taking it for anxiety is new for me, too! I was sleeping very early last night, falling asleep watching TV and slept throughout the night. I think it helps anxiety as it makes one so sleepy, that it is hard to be anxious when one is so sleepy!
• Rupert, Idaho
@Marty1 Well if it helps, then that is all that matters - right? But if it helps just because it makes you sleepy then I don't know! lol. Glad you were able to sleep throughout the night, that is good!
@MommyOfEli2013 I was sleeping by 5 pm to start but yesterday was the first night that I was able to stay up until almost 7 pm! I have been sleeping well most nights since I started taking it. I am calmer, though!
@moonandstars (40283)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i hope this will help and sleepy state is not that bad cause, you feel calmer, don't you? i had a walk through a city center and just wanted to got back cause it was july 1 and many older people were raising their pensions so, it was crowded
I do feel calmer today! Yesterday was the first time since I started taking it that I didn't need a nap! I did some cooking over the weekend, so I am doing well!
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@Marty1 o, i like naps but good for you! nice for the cooking
@moonandstars I like naps, too! but they sometimes make it hard for me to sleep the night that I took a nap that afternoon! that is the worst when I can't sleep!
@kobesbuddy (106613)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Benadryl would work two ways, you would be calmed down and your sinuses will be cleared. I've taken Benadryl before, for allergies.
It has never worked for my allergies. I do know it is helping to make me sleepy, and I didn't take one yet. I will probably take today's dose around 4 or 5 this afternoon. I am also feeling a bit calmer, though.
@kobesbuddy (106613)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@Marty1 Benadryl will definitely work to calm you down a little. It's a non-habit forming medication, that works well.
@kobesbuddy yes, I do feel a bit calmer.
@sallypup (39861)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I rarely use Benadryl cause it will conk me out for hours and hours. I have allergies to my pups but that Benadryl is too powerful for me.
That is why I usually take the Benadryl in the evening around 5-6 pm before I go to bed as it gets me so sleepy. Then for a long time, i only slept a few hours. But last night for the first time in a long time I slept a full night instead of two to three hours! I feel so good today!
@sallypup (39861)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 That's fantastic. Pills easily affect me. I take only half a Benadryl pill and I will be crazy rum headed even 12 hours later. I can't be rum headed ever cause of my dependent fur people so most of the time, Benadryl is not for me.
@sallypup Pills have no effect on me. I can't even begin to tell you how much medicine I take and it doesn't really do all it should but my caregivers and sister insist I need it. i know i need it but hate taking it. give your fur people hugs from my fur person and me!
@Adie04 (8680)
Sorry to hear. I guess doctor won't prescribe anxiety pills as they are quite strong. I heard from my counselor friend. They afraid if you depends on it too much.
Yes, he is afraid to prescribe anxiety medicine as they are strong, and the medication I already take is very strong.
@Adie04 (8680)
@Marty1 oh, then if taking anxiety pills are double strong and afraid your body cannot take it. That's usually medic team afraid of.
@Adie04 exactly what he was thinking! Most of my medicine is strong so adding an anxiety medicine which is strong itself would be good
I have never heard of benadryl working for anxiety. I will say that (for me) two benadryl's knock me out. One just makes me sleepy. The next time you talk to Courtney, talk to her about your anxieties and ask her if she has anything she does to help her with her own anxieties. Have you ever tried the grounding method for anxiety? It may or may not work, but it doesn't hurt to try.
I have tried so many things for anxiety i forgot all I tried. I prefer to try Benadryl at this moment. I have never heard of it for anxiety, but I willing to try it.
@Marty1 Good Luck. I really hope that it works for you. I do not know what they will recommend to you, but I think I would try one pill in the morning and one pill at night.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I didn't get a call back from my Nurse, but I do know that they want me to take at least once a day. It may have been I had an hour or so of sleep Tuesday night, but I took the Benadryl at around 2:30 pm and lay down on my bed to watch TV and was asleep so quickly that I don't remember what I was going to watch. I slept from 5 pm straight throughout the night until 2:30 this morning when I woke up for the day. Now at almost 8:30 am, I am starting to become sleepy. I will take the pill in the late afternoon.
@GooglePlus (2221)
I hope you overcome the anxiety soon. And soon you don't have to take any meds for this. It's not easy but not impossible.
I doubt i will ever get over the anxiety as I have had it almost 40 years now
@Marty1 Stay positive, it does takes time, but you know sometimes god has a different plans. Some call it God some call it luck that's your way to see it. Don't worry things will change :) Stay strong :)
Its good they were honest and said no to giving the meds.
I do have a good doctor and nurse looking out for me. I am feeling calmer so I am happy!
@Tina30219 (56282)
• Onaway, Michigan
Never knew this about Benadryl. I do know it is best to take at night because it does make you tired
I never knew this about Benadryl, either. It does make me sleepy as I was fell asleep watching TV at 5 in the afternoon. I plan on taking it today around 4 or 5 in the afternoon. It did help me as i just got done eating a grilled cheese I made myself for lunch, and it didn't fall apart like it usually does!
@JESSY3236 (12992)
Benadryl makes me sleepy. Yesterday I did alot of work on two websites. And I check on how much three calendars cost on Amazon which will be my next purchase. I am going to dwindle down my Black Friday list.
Benadryl makes me sleepy too which is supposed to make me calmer!
• Agra, India
Benadryl can definitely put you to sound sleep. But I don't think it is wise to use it properly
I did lay down to watch TV a few hours after I took a dose and fell asleep immediately and slept all night. I will be careful taking them
I hope the Benadryl helps with your anxiety,
It is working by making me very sleepy. I was going to lay on my bed and watch TV a few hours after I take one of the pills. I lay down and on my bed fell asleep so quickly that I don't remember what I intended to watch, and I don't remember falling asleep it all happened so fast. i do feel a bit calmer but that might be because i am so sleepy
Just be EXTREMELY careful with those,
I will. I will wait to take today's dose until late afternoon. I was on my bed going to watch TV late afternoon and fell asleep immediately. I am starting to feel better, so I will practice caution.
I’m not familiar with Benadryl other than for allergies. Good!
Amazingly, Benadryl never helped me whenever I tried it for allergies!' I am starting to feel calmer today. I didn't take it yet for today, as I am going to wait until the late afternoon. have a super day!
@CinnamonGrl (7027)
• Santa Fe, New Mexico
I have heard of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for anxiety when you can't take psychoactive meds or other meds would cause a bad interaction. I don't know about you, but that stuff knocks me out. You can't be anxious if you're asleep, lol. More than once a day, I really would be out cold. I hope they do help you.
In my case, prescription anxiety meds would interact poorly with my other psychoactive medicines I am taking. I am not sure yet how much i am to take a day, yet. so far, the one i took didn't knock me out, so I am lucky so far If i were sleeping it would be very hard to anxious I agree lol!