No Wasting Food

4 Apricots were left over and got too ripe to eat. I don't make jam. I don't can. But I hate the thought of wasting food, especially these days. I actually made apricot jam (a very, very small amount ). The few spoonfuls were put into a glass container and into the fridge. I just had some on toast . It won't even last a week, but at least fresh fruit was not tossed in the trash. Are you making use of every bit of food so as not to waste it? What would you have done with 4 squishy apricots?
I probably would have done the same thing but I happen to really like apricot jam. With the increasing prices lately I won't waste any food either. I have a bunch of bananas that are getting ripe too fast so I'm going to peel them and freeze them and use them for smoothies. I figure it's better to have smoothies than bake anything cause I certainly don't need those extra calories
I would love to make a lot of jam, but I've just never canned before and don't know if I really want to splurge for all the supplies to do it. Yes, the price of food is creeping up, isn't it . Bananas - I never thought to freeze them . . . good idea! We've been baking with all the ripe bananas, but yah, we don't need any more sweets here .
@much2say @Marilynda I've had good results using Splenda for baking. Vince has Type 2 diabetes so I try to cut down on sugar usage. I also don't need any extra calories.
@JudyEv this quarantine has been kind enough to add some extra pounds since I haven't been as active as I used to be. So I've been trying to cut back on the baking but I do love sweets. I have splenda in the cabinet so I should try that...what a good idea and I can have my cake and not worry so much about the calories. I haven't baked so much as I have recently.
I have an apricot tree but I don´t make jams anylonger, except to give out for Christmas. But I freeze them and make smoothies or apricot cakes. I gave away a lot last summer but I don´t know what will happen now.
Ah yes, I remember you have a fruitful apricot tree. It never occurred to me to put apricot in a smoothie - will have to try that. You must be a pro at canning if you made all that jam before!
@CarolDM (88634)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Never cared for apricots. But this time of the year I eat light every day.
My kids will only eat "good" apricots (which is sometimes hit or miss coming from the store). I eat pretty light the first half of the day.
If that happens here I throw it outside for the birds, at least somebody will eat what I don't ..... it doesn't happen very often because usually I eat the Whooooollllleeeee thing
Will birds eat apricots ? We don't want to attract raccoons or opossums - or even the rats. The squirrels take our oranges, but a couple bites and they're dropped to the ground - they waste too!
Nothing is really wasted in nature, something will come along and eat whats left @much2say of course most of us don't want to attract roaches, ants or other such pests but they do eat the garbage.
@rebelann Someone's gotta eat the garbage . I think one of these days I need to make a compost bin/area . . . then I could make use of food that I would normally actually trash.
I have never made jam or jelly of any kind. I am not sure what I would do with squishy apricots. All I could do would be to stir them up really good and plop that on something.
I normally don't make jam/jelly either. I guess I could have just plopped the fruit on toast anyway . . . the fruit plopped off the skin with just a butter knife !
@much2say You and I could be masters of plopped food items.
@Corbin5 We'll write the cookbook .
I would not buy them but I buy the jam. I had an avocado almost too ripe. I tossed the darkened part and ate what I could. I don't have much of anything I could waste here.
I have not figured out what to do with an over ripe avocado - it gets brown and gets these hard woody areas.
@much2say Oh I have not had one that bad yet. That sounds like unedible food.
@sharon6345 Yah, it can get gross!
I think you did well and made good use of those squishy apricots. We never have food to waste with hubs living here. He’s my human garbage can. I love apricot jam, preserves, and anything having to do with them.
Human garbage can . Well I think he eats it all up because his wife is such an excellent cook . Do you make your own jams/preserves? I did save the seeds . .. they are washed and put in the fridge for a long time . . . we will attempt to grow an apricot tree .
@much2say No, he just eats and eats and eats. My father used to make all those jams, etc. My grandfather owned his own exotic fruit company and made lots of jams, etc. I just buy them now. I would love to have an apricot tree. My husband loves apricots and my mother always told us they were "brain" food. Don't know if the latter is true, but we turned out okay.
@DianneN Wow . . . did you father show you how to make the jams or pass down recipes from his father? That's neat that your grandfather had that kind of a business back then . . . I wonder what they considered "exotic" at the time? Yah, I know it's just easier to buy . Apricot is brain food? I have heard shrimp and avocado were too . Is chocolate brain food ?
@thelme55 (48250)
I could make smoothies or apricots cake. That would be delicious. I don´t like wasting food.
Is 4 apricots enough for a cake? I'll have to try that sometime. Maybe for 1 cupcake .
@thelme55 (48250)
@much2say Yes, it is enough for making a cake.
@thelme55 Oh, I'll have to look for a recipe then !
@emnuhpe (858)
• Medan, Indonesia
I have never eaten apricot. How does it taste?
Really? Hmmmm . . . . it is hard to describe. It is like a mini peach, but not as sweet - can be a bit tart with it's own distinct taste.
@emnuhpe (858)
• Medan, Indonesia
@much2say Yes, apricots don't grow in Southeast Asia. I don't even know the taste of peaches. But i like fruit with a slightly sour taste like mango.
@emnuhpe Peaches too? I love mango, but I know there are some different mangoes out there than the typical red or green we have here.
Maybe you could have made a smoothie with the apricots. They make a delicious smoothie.
It's interesting that several have suggested smoothies . . . I've never thought to add apricots to a smoothie! I guess I figured it would be too tart.
@much2say I can still remember one I had once in a tiny town and it was just the best! It had ice-cream in it too. Do they all have ice-cream in them? I don't know much about smoothies really.
@JudyEv But ice cream makes everything taste GOOD . I guess a smoothie can be made various ways . . . we've done ice cream, yogurt, and kefir. I try to make it healthier with the yogurt or kefir but Hubby makes it with ice cream .
I am here on and off lately due to the problem logging in .I admire you for your being frugal.I would use the squishy Apricots to make sweetmeats
I had a problem a couple times with logging in too . . . it was strange. Sweetmeats . . . what is that? I imagine a meat dish with sweetness of fruit added to it?
@much2say It is made of or preserved in sugar,also known as candied fruits.
https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-candy-fruits/
@changjiangzhibin89 Ohhhhh, when you said "sweetmeat", I was thinking actual protein like beef. I've never made these candy fruits at home . . . I'll have to try that (perhaps they would make a good food gift). Thank you for the idea! I can buy dried fruits - but this is different.
@Namelesss (2742)
• Thomasville, Georgia
I probably would have tossed them into a bag and in the freezer. I would add to it over time and make a big batch of jam. Then again I might also do what you did. Fresh jam is so good.
Normally all the apricots would have been eaten here, but these got left behind. Good idea to freeze them! I've never made a big batch of jam, but certainly putting them in the freezer would have given me time to figure out what to do with extra fruit. My neighbor gave us fresh orange marmalade - that was really good!!
@Namelesss (2742)
• Thomasville, Georgia
@much2say I'm jelly (jealous) now, love homemade marmalade.
@Namelesss I've never made marmalade . . . so you've made that? Soooo good!!
Well done! I also don't want to waste the food. I even made the watermelon skin as a dish and it tastes well
I remember that! I actually thought of you when we had watermelon last week. But I didn't keep the skin . The watermelon was actually not very good to eat . . . we made it into watermelon ice (made it into a sweet juice and then froze it) - that was refreshing.
@much2say Thanks for remembering it Wish I could show you how to cook that dish of watermelon skin
@youless Wish you could send me a sample !
If they weren't bad, I would eat them.
These were super squishy . . . I mean, you could literally take out the inside and spread it something with a butter knife!
@much2say That's squishy.
@moonandstars (40477)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
well, you can set them in bio waste, if you can but, your action is way better
I was thinking maybe I should set up a compost bin .. . so I could throw in these extra unwanted foods too feed the plants eventually.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@much2say that's actually a good idea and i think you can!
@sitia1 (138)
I never eat that before
I guess some countries do not have apricots.
@sitia1 (138)
@much2say yes, my place in the supermarket too expensive per gram.
@Nakitakona (32625)
No apricots. It's banana. It's already over ripe. Our third elder daughter used it for a banana fruitcake.
We bake a lot with over ripe bananas too. We often make banana bread (which is essentially cake) or muffins.
@Nakitakona (32625)
@much2say That's good. But we're not used to baking.
@lovebuglena (19823)
• Staten Island, New York
I hate throwing stuff away. Never made jam before. Not a fan of fresh apricots but I do like the dried ones.
Hubby loves the dried ones too - but the ones that are "fresh" and soft - not when they're a bit old and kinda truly dry.
@lovebuglena (19823)
• Staten Island, New York
@much2say I don't like the dried ones when they are hard.
@Janet357 (54980)
Apricots are not common here. But I absolutely agree with you that we should not waste foods. I try to recycle leftovers.
Interesting that apricots do not seem to be common everywhere . . . I imagine to ship them would make them costly as they might get over ripe so quickly. Oh yes, we try to make use of leftovers as much as possible too!
@Hate2Iron (14128)
Have to admit that I really don't like the taste of apricots. Not sure what I would do with them!!
Others have said the same - I think apricot is one of those fruits you either like or hate. I will say they are pretty horrible if they are eaten off season.