Vagabond

@xFiacre (7777)
Ireland
The taste of something eternal lingers in the colour of the wine tonight. A few lines of Baudelaire awakened an appetite for sights and smells, purple silks, dusky maidens and a three-masted schooner lying at anchor in an exotic harbour. Even as I spoke some warm-rhythmed lines aloud into the empty night, salt that had been carried on an ocean breeze from Zanzibar began to crystallise on my lips. A boat called 'Vagabond' slunk out of the harbour at Honfleur, its crew hoping to get to the South Seas by winter. Unfortunately it left without me.
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
The boat has sailed without you. Sorry about that.
@xFiacre (7777)
@caroldm Story of my life!
@CarolDM (88265)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@xFiacre Same here.
I am sorry the boat left without you. You are such a good writer.
"Dusky maidens"?? Please elaborate.
@xFiacre (7777)
@maluse Dusky maidens are the caricature of what many a European man supposedly deems to be the epitome of lusty delight - young ladies from exotique countries where the sun always shines, perhaps girls like those of the South Seas as painted by Gauguin, although they are not my cup of tea.
@xFiacre I've seen many paintings by Gauguin in museums. He certainly created his own South Sea Paradise far away from reality.
@xFiacre (7777)
@MALUSE Alas the dreams many men have about exotic women are, I believe, also somewhat removed from reality.
@Adie04 (8628)
I always see the word vagabond but never know the meaning. Does it actually related to sea?