Guests at 1AM

Los Angeles, California
The other night we awoke to something knocking over our stacked plant pots at the side of the house. It was enough to make the security lights go on, but whatever did that left the scene . Last night, at 1am, we heard footsteps in the same area. I ran to the bathroom to the opened window . . . I saw not 1, or 2, or 3, or 4 . . . but 5 raccoons in a train walk on the side wooden fence! The raccoons went along the fence, to the rain gutters, to the rooftops, jumped off the water heater cover to the other side porch, and upon landing smashed some of my smaller potted pots. They washed hands and splashed in the bird water bowls. These American Ninja Warriors were rascals around our yard. Ultimately they ran through the sunflower rows and climbed up a concrete wall to invade the next neighboring territory. Raccoons . . . squirrels . . . what next in the world of naughty critters for us . Have naughty critters paid you a visit lately?
@JimBo452020 (44009)
• Montrose, Scotland
I would love to see Raccoons on my fence. It's not going to happen.
Next time they come, I will hand each of them a plane ticket to Scotland .
@JimBo452020 (44009)
• Montrose, Scotland
@much2say They might have to Quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival
@JimBo452020 They are sneaky fellows . . . they may escape (at night anyway!).
@Nakitakona (40988)
We don't have them here. What we have are rodents, rats and mice.
We had a taste of that - 2 rats about a month ago, in the garage. We were able to find their entrance and seal it up - we have not seen any evidence of them since. But I know they are in and around outdoors - we don't see them, but they lurk around at night.
@Nakitakona (40988)
@much2say yes they're around lurking somewhere to find a chance or way to get in.
Those raccoons certainly knew their way around your property! We haven't seen any in years due to being wiped out by rabies. Since I sprayed, we have not had anything gobbled up by the deer! Woot!
Rabies - and wiped out - yikes! We rarely actually see the raccoons . . . I once thought they were a neighborhood myth - til only like a couple years ago! I had to wash out all the bird plates and bowls - they got muddied up by the raccoons. Yay, no deer feast in your yard - that spray really works!
@much2say Animals are free to come out of wherever they've been hiding these days. Raccoons used to try to eat our trash, so we keep the bins in the garage. That may have done the trick. I'm sure there are some living in the woods and bothering others. Yes, my spray worked. I will have to be more diligent next year. The season here is about over.
@arunima25 (56330)
• Bangalore, India
I used to get monkeys visiting my terrace and ruining my garden and breaking beautiful plantersThey have not been much around since March... I guess because we all are in house since March due to this pandemic crisis.
I've seen videos of moneys in India . . . they really do a number on properties! It is interesting to hear they are out less during this time . . . I would have thought there were would be more since there are less humans to be afraid of.
@arunima25 (56330)
• Bangalore, India
@much2say All human are in house arrest working from home. So they are less visiting us in residential areas.
@CarolDM (127006)
No visitors here. Glad they didn't cause much damage.
Luckily there is not a whole lot they can damage in our yard, but I have heard stories about what they are capable of .
American Ninja Warrior animals, I love it! I haven't had any critters around me lately, but I remember a house Obliged in once used to have opossums in our backyard. I think they were mama and babies.
Oh, opossums - I forgot about those! We see them every now and then too, but never a mama with babies - that must've been a sight! I wonder if this is going to be a nightly routine now .
Oh no! Was it trash day? My husbands precious place the raccoons roamed in packed the night of trash day! Here I’ve seen an opossum boy are they big! it are my Roma tomato!
They didn't get to the trash, luckily. I don't know - they just decided to come out I guess (we hardly ever see them) - and there was no evidence of them last night. But I think that was the poop culprits in our yard - maybe not the neighborhood cats . Yah, opossums can get big! It invaded your garden? I hear they eat everything too .
@much2say YAY glad those raccoons didn’t make a mess. YES! I saw the opossum twice but after that it was gone. Doesn’t come by and my garden is good, thankfully.
@infatuatedbby They don't appear to have come back for 2 nights now! Glad your garden is fine! My dad had to cover everything because of squirrels . . . they totally ate up their cucumbers!
Wow, so many raccoons ! I haven't seen them myself.I wonder if they launch an unprovoked attack on human.Here I don't have the pleasure of seeing them ,except the weasels.
And I've never seen weasels out here! I think raccoons can/will attack if they need to and they are known to carry diseases. They are so cute though - and look a bit clumsy - but best not to get too close to them. One of the side fences are just a few feet from the bathroom window, so that was the closest I've ever seen them!
@much2say There seems to be varieties of wild animals where you are.I guess it wasn't the first time you saw the raccoons roaming through your place.
@changjiangzhibin89 The funny thing is I have hardly seen raccoons here. When we first moved here and neighbors told us about the raccoons, I thought it was a myth as we never saw them. Eventually we saw paw prints here and there, but that was the only evidence. I think this was maybe the 3rd or 4th encounter we've had with raccoons!
@RebeccasFarm (26801)
• Denver, Colorado
You can hear these next door (not raccoons) right now loudness
Ugh ugh ugh . I'm sorry you are going through this. On weekends some of these neighbors can be especially loud .
• Denver, Colorado
@much2say I think Much, I am going to run away to the woods
@RebeccasFarm I've often considered that too .
@DaddyEvil (37310)
Oh, how funny! They were just saying "Hi" and checking things out. We have some small rabbits that run around in our yard. When I get home from work, usually around 8 pm, pulling into my drive always flushes a couple of them from around the Pampas Grass. They run around in front of my car and into the back yard. We also have some squirrels living in our back yard. Yesterday, when I got up there was one peeling a green walnut right outside the kitchen window. I watched him peel the entire walnut... then he looked at it and dropped it to the ground before running further up the tree. The bunnies and squirrels are both so cute... as long as they stay on the other side of the glass from me, at least.
And that was the last we saw or heard of them! I guess our yard wasn't exciting enough . Awwwww, how fun to see rabbits! We don't get those cute critters here . . . won't happen in our suburbs - but we will see them in the hills or in fields near the hills. You have a walnut tree? We get walnuts brought over to our yard sometimes . . . because the next door neighbor leaves out walnuts and hazelnuts for the squirrels . They're all cute as long as they don't destruct our stuff!
@DaddyEvil NO . But I still haven't seen evidence of them again - so that's good. Where the heck do they go during the day? I know at some point there were living in our neighbor's tree. But we never, ever see them. Omg - that happened to my friend - and they weren't on a farm. Something kept dragging and spilling the outdoor catfood bag out to their driveway - and it turned out to be a raccoon ! Someone did a squirrely job of planting walnut trees close to the house . I'd rather they plant stuff than dig stuff up . The stuff we plant is just for fun - and cheap - it just doesn't seem feasible to put a netting around all of it - but maybe next year we will have to think about that if we want anything to actually grow . Maybe we should just get a dog .
Raccoons amaze me with their ability to climb and run along fences etc. We had those annoying creatures at our last house but thankfully they aren't a nuisance here.
They are not exactly small, so it is amazing how they can balance the way they do! The funny thing is I've only seen raccoons in the neighborhood less than a handful of times since we moved here . . . you'd never think they even live here!
@much2say guess they're branching out looking for food. Hope they dont come back and disturb you again in the wee hours
@Marilynda1225 Thus far the past 2 nights were quiet and we don't see any new evidence of them hanging out in our yard. However I did discover a couple new holes in our planters (probably squirrels) .
Oh wow that is something. Not that I know of, but one time I had a pumpkin out on the porch after Thanksgiving..and they got into it and there were pumpkin innards everyhwre. It had snowed..and I saw there little paw prints , hand prints in teh snow.
OHhhh - I've only seen people kick the pumpkins off the porches . . . but never critters - true that it could be a tasty treat for them! How cute to see their prints in the snow!
@GreatMartin (18553)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I love all and any critters that pay me a surprise visit!!
I know you do . . . and that's why they keep coming back .
I suspect they do since our dogs will start barking wildly at the door for no reason.