An orange blanket hangs outside

It is only 59F/15C today. It is not because there is no sun, as we have had beautifully warm, late-summer days lately. But, the temperature has dropped, and the orange smokiness hangs like a heavy blanket in the outside air. With all of the wildfires here on the west coast of the United States, and the wind and weather patterns of the atmosphere carrying the smoke into the area, we have this eerie reminder of the fires miles away. The air pollution can become problematic. Honey and I have gone out to try to get a short walk, but it is rather difficult to breathe, even when I wear a mask to filter some of the smoke. My eyes burn and tear up. I know that Honey must be miserable trying to deal with it, as well. What we need is a good rain here to clear the air. The forecast says that next week, Wednesday through Saturday, we might have some scattered showers and a thunderstorm come through. We really need some moisture. Photo credit: Pixabay. This photo is not my own, but it is indicative of how the smoke hangs in the air. The evening sun is brighter orange than this photo shows.
• Walnut Creek, California
We still have a brown sky here in California, though I CAN see some muted shadows as I write. Oregon was worse.
I am sure that it's not nearly as bad here as it is in other places, but I can hardly breathe outside. :-( It is so eerie. It's supposed to worsen tomorrow, as forecast.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner I just went outside. The smell of smoke is pretty intense. We need RAIN in the Western states.
@TheHorse That is for sure!! Anyone that thinks that it rains all the time up here has no idea.
@DocAndersen (27894)
that smoke is so bad. stay indoors! it looks terrible up and down the coast!
We need some relief here. Everyone complains about rain, but we haven't had it. Dry grasses, higher temps, carelessness, fires.
@DocAndersen (27894)
@TheSojourner looks like there is a storm in the pacific headed your way with rain. Hopefull enough.
@DocAndersen I saw the forecast for our area yesterday and I think it said Wednesday we were supposed to get some showers, but about 40% chance. That may have changed already. I hope it's a downpour for a few days!
• Sonora, California
Praying that the West Coast gets a good soaking rain. It's horrible here too...
We need it all the way from San Diego to up here in WA. Stay safe, Michelle.
• Sonora, California
@TheSojourner Yes we do, I am, you too...
We need that rain . . . but I keep looking in the forecast and it doesn't seem we will get it (unless things change . . . things change on a dime sometimes lately). We have the pinkish gray . . . sometimes you can see that orange sun. The smoke smell is there, but not bothering us - yet. We're indoors all day here with the air purifier on - thank goodness it is way cooler.
I wish I had purifier. Be safe.
@TheSojourner You too !
Hopefully, rain comes soon. Bad all the way to the BC coast.
I have wondered how far north it has gone...
@TheSojourner scarey times.
@paigea Yes, that they are.
Do you also get smoke from California and Oregon? I know how bad it is, we had a serious wildfires in the South of France while we lived there.
Yes, this is an atmospheric thing that also happens when there's severe fires.
@TheSojourner I remember that we had ashes even inside the apartment, not funny.
Rain would be welcomed by all affected by those fires and the smoke they produce.
@Torunn (6992)
• Norway
I see those posts from other parts of the world about wanting rain, and think that it's a pity I can't send you some. As usual, we have enough rain. There's been some dry summers, but the autumn have never failed. Today it's just annoying, 'cause I'm going to a riding competition and the weather forecast didn't say rain until yesterday evening. It might stop til I'm going there though, as it started several hours too early.
I was really unable to go outside today. Of course, I took the dog out but was only out for as long as she did her business. The air quality is so bad that it's not good to breathe out there.
@Torunn (6992)
• Norway
@TheSojourner That must be very annoying. How far away are the fires? We smelled the ones in Sweden some years ago, but too far away to be problematic.
@Torunn I think that the fires in Washington have been pretty much contained but they were about 50 MI from me which I think is about 80km. But with all the smoke in the atmosphere from all the way down in California up through Oregon and the fires here also in Washington the atmospheric issue with all of the smoke and all of the weather patterns bringing it here it's all the way up and down the whole western coast and into Canada..
@ptrikha_2 (25628)
First Covid-19. Then this pollution aggravating problem. Perhaps it is time to have more trees and vegetation to help reduce the forest fires by increasing the moisture levels in the soil. Or is there some other solution?
There are some scientists that think it's too late. That we cannot reverse the damage.
@ptrikha_2 (25628)
@TheSojourner That means that we are in for some very tough years ahead.
@ptrikha_2 (25628)
@TheSojourner I also feel that the world would transform to something very different from what we have been used to.
@sallypup (40496)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Its like a fog over here. I'm sorry for all you folks.
Here, too. I'm trying to limit time Honey and I both are outside. Hugs to you both, and to the critters. Be safe!
@sallypup (40496)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheSojourner Thanks. Hubby wants to do some heeling work with the pups this afternoon. The dingbat.
• Israel
@TheSojourner That must be hard for the both of you? Just take care and hope you are safe.
It is a bit difficult to breathe right now. I hope we get rain which will set along that down. But we're not due to get any for a while.
• Israel
@TheSojourner I am so so sorry that it is hard to breathe right now. Smoke is horrible and gives one that effect.
@Hannihar thank you
we are in the same boat.No rain just some rain drops.
You have bad fires there, too??
@TheSojourner No we do not.Right now what we need is rain.We are drying up
@amadeo yes, the dryness is what started the problems here on the West Coast. Then it all just snowballs, no pun intended
@popciclecold (12838)
I have friends, who lives by the fires, she told me it's awful there. I am praying for rain.
Thank you, we all need it.
That smoke won´t help Honey much with her heart problems
I understand completely.
I have seen many pictures of the smoky skies out there, and I do feel for you guys. I hope it improves soon.
It's bad up here, but I'm thinking that in California it's horrid.
@LindaOHio (46767)
I keep praying for cooler temps and some substantial rain in CA and beyond. Stay safe.
We all really need it.
It is suppose to start raining here Monday so I hope that will put out all of the fires here.
I hope it starts to rain period we certainly need it. The forecast I saw showed us not getting any anything until Wednesday, but I'm hoping they're wrong and that it comes earlier!
@wolfgirl569 (32631)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope you all get rain very soon. It is badly needed to help with the fires.
Thanks. It is so needed.
It's amazing sometimes how far the smoke travels.
I understand.
@CarolDM (94465)
Such a sad time in the area of those tragic fires. Stay inside and safe.
Thanks, Carol.