Dinner: Prep takes longest, cooking is quick

Tonight's dinner was rather simple. It's the prep work that takes the longest amount of time. Cooking time is very short. The trick to cutting the chicken breast is to make sure the boneless, skinless breast is partially frozen, and then it can be cut more thinly. I have found that in cooking for one, a properly season cast iron skillet works just as well as a wok. I heat it up over medium heat, and then maintain the heat as needed from that point. Tonight's meal used these ingredients: Oil, chicken breast, minced garlic, baby bok choy, snow peas, fresh tomato, dried hot red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. I served orange on the side. I enjoy cooking like this. I enjoy eating like this. Photos and collage are my own.
@AKRao24 (26616)
Wow! That looks great and I am sure that must be yummy too! I am happy to know that you had a nice dinner! The photos in the collage are looking really great and they are undoubtedly mouth watering! Yes, I can understand when preparation takes more time than actual cooking it may be bit boring! But then I enjoy that part more while cooking!
I do a lot of stir fries because they're simple and easy. Are you a vegetarian or do you eat meat at all?
@AKRao24 (26616)
@TheSojourner , I am omnivoroud that means I have vegetarian diet and also the non vegetarian diet! However we don't have pork and beef in our diet! Instead we have Mutton (Goat meat) and chicken!
@AKRao24 I know that there are many different foods in india. One time I went to an Indian restaurant many years ago and it was for some festival. It had the biggest banquet spread of all kinds of foods from the different regions. Some of my favorites were the seafood dishes. Thank you for sharing a bit of information about your life.
• Santiago, Chile
I am wowed by your recipe! I seems like you are having a good time while cooking Coral. Am i wrong?
Thank you, jose. Yes, I really do enjoy cooking, especially when I have someone to cook for. But, I'm starting to enjoy cooking for just myself again.
• Santiago, Chile
@TheSojourner that's good news. I am kind of weird, I'll tell you why? Don't know if it has to do with my current age, but I feel the same when I cook for myself as when I am cooking for somebody else. I say i am weird because most people I know, are like you, they enjoy cooking for others more than they cook for themselves. I am the odd one definitely. Haha
@jvicentevalera if I remember correctly, you are in your mid-20s? Most of the young people that I know do not like to cook, so they use Frozen, pre-made foods. They also, before the pandemic, spent more money going out than anything else. One of the things that has been popping up around the Seattle area are these apartments that are more like a small pod that have no kitchen to speak of. It has a place for a small table with two chairs and a sink and a microwave. Of course there's a small refrigerator. But it's more for when somebody has leftovers than anything else. It's kind of an interesting phenomenon. But then, Seattle has a lot of people in the IT field and they make a lot more money than others. I suppose that their social life at the gastro pubs mean more for them be able to eat and drink and socialize with others like themselves is more important than a kitchen. I'm sure that this pandemic has shaken that up a little bit.
@rakski (57369)
oh yes, I hate it when the prep takes more time than the cooking. That is the reason why I do not cook pansit
I know what you mean. I don't mind doing what I did tonight, and then will add the fresh miki noodles, for a quick noodle dish.
@rakski (57369)
@TheSojourner really sounds delicious but really the prep is tiring
@rakski (57369)
@TheSojourner good for you because me I have to feed four so that will definitely double the amount
Today I ate anything that would enable me to make space in the freezer for the hen I found some duchesse potatoes, I baked them. There was a partially eaten bag of frozen tender corn kernels, I cooked them. I thought I could eat something else, but there was nothing that I wanted in that moment. So that was the end of my dinner. Luna is having a midnight dinner now (she is starting to eat late). I´m sure her pellets are more balanced than my meal.
I'm sure Luna would share her pellets with you!! Hugs.
@TheSojourner Yes. She doesn´t like them that much.
@marguicha I suppose if there was nothing else to eat, they would keep us alive.
• Agra, India
It is double fun when we enjoy cooking as well as eating
I really enjoy when I can share whatever I cook with someone else. But that doesn't happen too often.
• Agra, India
@TheSojourner it is ok. We all don't cook special dishes every day
@arunima25 (44232)
• Bangalore, India
Sounds delicious! I always do the preparation before hand so that cooking is quick and easy. Enjoy your meal. I too love to cook and more than that love to eat
Thank you so much!
Most of the time prep takes longer than cooking, unless you are making a stew or something that needs a very long cooking time.
Very true.
@TheSojourner And cleaning the mess and washing dishes and pans is even more time consuming (and less interesting too).
@LadyDuck that's when I wish I had a live-in maid.
@LindaOHio (46376)
Sounds great. I used to love cooking Chinese food but hated all the prep! I know what you mean.
That's why I think I stick to things like snow peas and bok choy, as they seem much easier to prep. But I don't like to do in any cooking is matchstick cuts.!
@LindaOHio (46376)
@TheSojourner I hear 'ya! ... But it's so good when it's done!
@Lushlala (3580)
• Gaborone, Botswana
It sounds healthy but delicious!
That's going to come out hopefully I hope that the photographs do it justice to show how healthy it is. Thank you for your kind words.
@Lushlala (3580)
• Gaborone, Botswana
23h
@TheSojourner You're welcome I love veggies. Just looking at it makes my mouth water
Very well presented
Thank you very much.
Sounds very tasty
It was delicious. Thank you.
@DocAndersen (27722)
I trained my twins to cook. So no prep, no cook just relax and eat!
I wish I could teach my dog, Honey, to cook! LOL
That's a good tip about having meat slightly frozen so you can cut it more easily.
Thank you, judy!
All is yummy except for the pepper flakes. Did Honey get some chicken.
I had some homemade dog food made up that she got the last of that had boiled chicken, green beans, sweet potatoes.