Movie: "Skin"--A Story of Sandra Laing

Sandra Laing was born just more than three months after I was born. We also had something else in common. Both of us were born to white parents; both families had similar views regarding one's skin color. Sandra was born in South Africa during the apartheid era, and was reclassified at the age of 10 as "coloured" (a term used in those days to classify race) by the government. Though she was born "white" to white Afrikaners, descendants of the Dutch settlers to the area, and a white lineage that went back several generations, she was reclassified, due to her skin color and the texture of her hair. From that time, life was never the same for Sandra and her family. "Skin" is a 2008 dramatic film based on the biography of Laing. Sandra is played by the actress, Sophie Okonedo. Her parents, Abraham and Sannie, are Sam Neill and Alice Krige. Each of their performances was well worth the time to watch. Aside from the obvious tension of the stories behind apartheid, racial division, and injustice, "Skin" takes an intimate look at a family torn by deep-seeded racial beliefs, and a young woman's struggle to find her identity. I enjoy films, which leave me with a hunger to learn more. "Skin" did just that.
Based on the extraordinary true story of Sandra Laing, a black child born in 1950s South Africa to white Afrikaners, Skin traces their 30-year struggle to fi...
@CarolDM (98342)
A great movie review. Glad you are enjoying so many movies.
I have discovered "tubi" on my smartTV and have started figuring out how to use it. LOL I feel like I have been given a gift. Thanks for the kudos.
@CarolDM (98342)
@TheSojourner I have Apple tv, and every now and then I get lucky.
@CarolDM It popped up in a list of recommended films, based on whatever algorithms they use. These last few films I've written about are all from that. "Get(ting) lucky" is a good thing...every once in a while. ;-)
Thanks for the info, I think it is a film that I might be interested in,
You're welcome. :-)
I would love to watch it. Where can I get it? Some decades ago, my daughter Claudia went on a scholarship 8f the American Field Service. She could choose between the US and South Africa, then woth Apartheid. I said no way to have her in South Africa.
If you have "tubi" on your smartTV, it is there. I'm not sure where else you can get it.
@TheSojourner I have youtube but not tubi
@marguicha tubi is free. It might be one of the things already on there.
@Torunn (7101)
• Norway
That's really interesting! In a very tragic way. I read some biographies from South Africa years ago, but I didn't know they classified people like that.
They did a really good job on the film.
@Torunn (7101)
• Norway
@TheSojourner I'll check with my English teacher friend if she's used it. She likes films like that for school
@Torunn that would definitely be a good one for certain classes.
@LindaOHio (49168)
Thank you for the review and recommendation.
I hope you find it and enjoy it.
That is a movie that I now want to see.
I hope that you will enjoy it.
@LotusEyes (1196)
I would definitely like to watch this movie that you mentioned
It is an excellent one. I also watched another movie that I reviewed a couple of days ago. Also one of a true story basis about a young boy who gets lost in india, and ends up going to Australia. It's another true story of someone who is searching for his identity
My skin has no color