An over-abundance of rice

This weekend, I wasn't feeling well, and my gut was in an uproar, likely due to issues caused by this disease called, neuroendocrine cancer/tumors (NETs). One thing that tends to tone down the gut symptoms is white rice, though some rice is better than others for doing so. Calrose rice (sticky, glutinous) works best for me. I make a big pot or rice cooker full of it, and eat it often, when I go through these times. This morning for breakfast, I heated some of it up in a skillet with a vegan "bratwurst" and onion. I really don't care for the vegan sausage, and will never buy it again, so I am trying to figure out a way to eat them. I still have two more. I just had a late lunch of two sunny-side-up eggs and reheated plain rice in the microwave. The runny yoke is delicious when I mix it into the rice. I topped it with a sprinkling of furikake (Japanese seasoning mix). Note: The photo is not my own, but it was similar to the photo. I will likely not eat rice tonight, but try to eat some cooked vegetables (broccoli and carrots), a bit of chicken, and cook up an apple for dessert. Photo credit: PIxabay (not my own photo)
@LindaOHio (49180)
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'm glad you know what to eat so that you'll feel better. Take care.
Thank you, linda. I just have to make sure that I pay attention and adjust things as I need to.
@rakski (64052)
You do not like the vegan sausage?? You have the gut of Filipinos. We like rice too
This particular brand was not to my liking. Others I have had aren't so bad. And yes....I've eaten many a grain of rice with many Islanders in my life. LOL
@rakski (64052)
@TheSojourner never tried vegan sausage before
@rakski some of the meat analogs are better than others. I just didn't particularly care for this particular brand and I didn't like the texture.
Runny yolk is really delicious. When I was a kid I would mix it with my rice.
Exactly! I don't like it when the egg has a little bit of the white where it's stringy, and too soft, but a perfectly made sunny side up or over easy, and I love that mixed with rice.
@TheSojourner My mom made sunny side up the way you want it. That's why when I was a kid, I would only eat eggs when mom made it. If it was the maid, I would ever touch it.
@toniganzon I have never had the luxury of a maid, and I am a person who would rather eat my own cooking or my mom's cooking, than anybody else's!
That bratwurst will probably cause Honey´s delight. I don´t eat food I don´t like. I prefer hunger than. And eggs are always a help now that they are not "banned" for rising cholesterol levels.
I'm going to cook up some onions and peppers and put them in a roll. I have to feed RGD lunch tomorrow, so I'll get the last two eaten and they won't go to waste. It's not that they would make me sick, but I just don't enjoy them so much. Eggs are my go-to anymore for protein, when I forget to eat. LOL
@TheSojourner I love eggs too
@CarolDM (98344)
White rice has always been a friend to my silly stomach. No issues like yours I know. Love a little butter and rice.
I used to eat a lot of brown rice, but can't eat that kind of fiber much any more. I love rice of any kind. Butter and pepper. plain with a little soy sauce. Plain w/sauteed veggies. Yum yum
@CarolDM (98344)
@TheSojourner Yes that is all very good. I have to be careful with soy sauce due to the sodium.
@CarolDM I understand. A half-tsp goes a long way for me.
I limit my rice because I’m diabetic. I mostly do cauliflower rice. I like it, but it’s not quite the same.
I know about the cauliflower rice, and it isn't the same, though I like it. And I have to do something when my gut goes into over drive. It's all that seems to bind me
@TheSojourner now mashed cauliflower with gravy fulfills my longing for mashed potatoes.
@Tampa_girl7 that actually sounds okay.
I love rice. I hope you feel better!
Getting there! Thanks, Amber.
@wolfgirl569 (34407)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad the rice helps. Never tried any of the vegan meats.
The Impossible burger is actually quite good. I tried it at Burger King for a Whopper. I now buy the patties in the store.
@id_peace (12486)
I loved rice but I can only eat the gluten free ones.
It's why I can't eat pasta much anymore. I've tried the gluten-free pastas, and they just don't hold up the same.
• Israel
@TheSojourner I am glad you found a way to take care of it when you are feeling that way. If you have some left then can you put it in the freezer and take out when you need it?
Rice is so easy to cook, and I don't typically freeze it, because it doesn't freeze as well as I would like it to.
• Israel
@TheSojourner I do not have trouble freezing mine.
@Hannihar What variety of rice do you use? If it's a long-grain, basmati, or jasmine, I rarely buy it. The sticky rice doesn't seem quite so good to freeze, unless I am doing things wrong.
I'm all for white rice because of the taste ! But yah, for some, white rice is actually better . . . including my dad who has kidney issues. I've never had a good meat substitute sausage. I love runny yoke too . . . but the family doesn't. I love furikake!
When I was a little girl, my mother used to buy minute Rice. I used to make that with a package of Lipton Onion soup mix, minute rice, and water, and then eat it with butter and pepper on it. Then I joined the military, and I was introduced to different rices. I have eaten a lot of them! My go-to for most things is calrose. I had a friend one time make jambalaya with calrose rice though period does not work! The only rice for jambalaya is long grain!
@TheSojourner I grew up on the Japanese rice . . . but I really took it for granted (maybe because it was on the table at almost every dinner?). I absolutely loved discovering other rice as I was exposed to other kinds of food in college and beyond. Certain dishes only go with certain rice - I agree with that. Persian food only pairs well with basmati (the way they make basmati with oil and salt) . . . I tried plain jasmine as that is what leftover I had and ugh it was awful together. A lot of my Persian/Iranian friends say Asian rice is not tasty . . . but well, like I said they do the oil and salt . . . we just use water.
@much2say I make Guamanian red rice with the Calrose/Asian sticky rice. Annatto seeds for the color, use that as part of the water, a bit of oil, salt and a chunk of onion. I put it in the rice cooker or on the stove. I think you'd like it. And then, with finadene. YUM.
This is a doctored-up soy sauce recipe that came from Guam. Over there, this is always by the red rice and barbequed ribs and chicken. It really adds a nice flavor to the rice! Try it next time you serve plain or fried rice! YUM!
Be sure and give Honey some chicken. Your meal sounds good.
I took a completely different turn tonight! But I did boil off the rest of a rotisserie chicken, cooked some carrots and celery in the broth, and made quite a lot of stock. So, I picked the bones and have about 3 plus cups of cooked chicken, a whole lot of carrot and celery, and plenty of Roth with rice. We both can eat it!
Glad that you found something that does not bother you
@porwest (32375)
Hope you get to feeling better and enjoy your meal. I love rice.
Thanks, Jim.
Rice was part of the BRAT diet I used to give my son for an upset tummy when he was little.
yes. I have eaten the BRAT diet for a good part of my 8 years since diagnosis.
@edisondanila (33528)
I eat rice almost everyday.
As do I
@oahuwriter (16805)
I had some nice rice with my sashimi, raw fish I got to celebrate my finishing my yrly SNAP reapplication. I like white rice but if there is brown rice I'll get it over white rice. I buy it cooked at my grocery store nearby. Hope you beat that cancer!
@nawala123 (20185)
Rice is in our blood
@Janet357 (60687)
I learned something today and that is Calrose rice, other term for sticky rice.