A handsome cab downtown Chicago

@DocAndersen (28882)
My daughter rode horses (rides horses) and loves them. Whenever she saw a handsome cab, we had to take a ride. This one, downtown Chicago, was a huge change of pace. I am used to driving in downtown Chicago and riding in a horse-drawn cab was magical!
It's lovely taking a step back in time. I've actually driven a horse and cart myself.
@DocAndersen (28882)
that is awesome - i bet it was fun!
@DocAndersen It was indeed
@DocAndersen (28882)
@jaboUK i would bet!
A relative of mine (with whom I no longer associate) lives there and was told that downtown traffic was so bad that he'd simply walk to get to work on time. I'm not really sure from where he'd walk though.
@DocAndersen (28882)
downtown traffic is that bad
So how could it be safe at all for a horse drawn cab @DocAndersen ?
@DocAndersen (28882)
@rebelann they have a large bike and horse cab lane. That is gone now, added a new car lane as the handsome cabs are no longer allowed in downtown Chicago.
This one looks beautiful.
@DocAndersen (28882)
it was, they seemed to take good care of the horses. but many don't
@DocAndersen I know that many do not took good care of the horses, it is a shame.
@DocAndersen (28882)
@LadyDuck it really is - horses like dogs are amazing animals that deserve to be cared for
i hope these 're taken better care'f than most. i bet such 'twas magical. i confess to've ne'er been'n one 'f these'n the city. 've been'n some marvelous winter sleigh rides though through forests lined with rivers sneakin' by. snowflakes gently fallin'. like a true fairy tale.
@DocAndersen (28882)
i've seen horror stories of how they treat the horses
@DocAndersen 'tis horrific how humans treat others fer profit....
@DocAndersen (28882)
@crazyhorseladycx it is really sad, speaks well of humans humanity.
I am pleased to announce that the Chicago City Council voted on April 24th to ban horse-drawn carriages once and for all after years of protests, The city now has 10 carriage licenses that will expire at the end of the year. Those horses do not receive the kindest of treatment, and it is upsetting to learn how the horses are treated.
@DocAndersen (28882)
i read that we stopped riding in them shortly after these pictures.
@DocAndersen A number of cities all over the world have put an end to this. I am pleased by that.
@DocAndersen (28882)
@Corbin5 it is a good thing = i know my daughter stopped wanting to or even being willing to ride them a couple of years after this picture.
@FourWalls (28372)
• Louisville, Kentucky
How cool! I’ve seen them there, and in lots of other cities. The only place I’ve taken a carriage ride, believe it or not, was in the Smoky Mountains, in Cades Cove. I need to change that. Thanks for the reminder!
@DocAndersen (28882)
i love riding horses, not as much as my daughter. but sometimes they aren't treated well
@FourWalls (28372)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@DocAndersen — I enjoyed riding them, but it is MURDER on my back, so I’ll admire them from a distance henceforth.
@DocAndersen (28882)
@FourWalls they are slowly disappearing as well. so many treated the horses badly
@LindaOHio (49023)
That's really cool. I love all animals.
@DocAndersen (28882)
my daughter does as well, she stopped riding in them about 2 years after this trip
It is fun
@DocAndersen (28882)
it really is, as long as the horses are treated right!
That's so much fun
@DocAndersen (28882)
it really is
I loved Chicago, but chose not to ride in a horse-drawn cab. The same goes for the horse-drawn carriages in New York City. Too cruel to the animals. They are now going to be a thing of the past.
@DocAndersen (28882)
yes they are, my daughter shortly (2 years) after this no longer wanted any part of riding in handsome cabs. memories are funny that way.
@DocAndersen I rode in a jitney in Ireland and felt so guilty and so badly for the horse. The owner told me the horse loves it and that's how it gets its exercise. I did not believe one word. Never again!
@DocAndersen (28882)
@DianneN it is a hard thing - i know my daughter is now very anti the mistreatment of any animal.
I've always loved and owned horses but particularly liked driving. We had a pair of ponies at one stage and they were great.
@DocAndersen (28882)
i would bet you treated them with love and kindness. that is the most important thing! love the picture!
@DocAndersen Yes, that's true. And all animals respond to kindness.
@DocAndersen (28882)
@JudyEv they do, my daughter is a huge anti-creulty person now. i suspect if I showed her the old pictures in a handsome cab she would be mad at herself.