Onions, Garlic, and Potatoes

The other day @Marilynda1225 was asking about where we keep our fruit. Well I had been meaning to ask for the longest time . . . where do you all keep your onions, garlic and potatoes? I know for sure onions and potatoes have to be stored separately so they do not sprout quickly - and preferably in a cool, dark area - but not in the refrigerator. Some of my friends have big tiered baskets just outside the kitchen. But they have huge amounts of onions and potatoes . . . I don't know that I'd ever keep that many here. I find that my friends from other countries do this. So where/how do you store your onions, garlic and potatoes?
I don't keep onions or garlic here and if I do they go in the fridge.
I will keep the ones I cut up (leftover) in the fridge.
@much2say I wish I had remembered I would have bought one for my pasta tonight.
@sharon6345 We have some here . . . I wish I could just snap my fingers and get it to you right now!
@Hytton03 (704)
Me just leave in a kitchen then i forgot to used the onion for many days then when i need onion i'm shocked the onion grow already and i decided to planted it in the ground. :)
17h
Ohhhh, I did that a few months ago. And our onion was really big too . . . it had green sprouts and looked like an octopus .
@Hytton03 (704)
16h
@much2say yeah right.
Mine goes in the fridge. I have tier for fruits though or bananas
18h
I only put the cut ones (leftovers) in the fridge. I use a lot of them, so I can't stick them in the fridge or it will take up a lot of fridge space . I have fruits in the tiered thing too!
15h
@much2say lol I want to get another fridge/freezer for the garage haha we need more space too!
Some of ours are placed in our pantry for use for the week, but we have a cool pantry in our basement which is where they should be stored all the time and in the dark.
Oh - a basement - the one thing that none of our houses here have!!! I wonder if I can build a makeshift one somehow . . . with my luck the squirrels will get to it .
@much2say That made me burst out laughing. No basement for you!!!
@sophie09 (29201)
yes i have a different jar to put my onions garlic and potatoes
Where do you keep the jars? We have so much light and warmth coming into the kitchen, so they do not last long.
@sophie09 (29201)
@much2say in the kitchen of course
the cooler'n darker the better. i 'lways wished the hubs to put me'n a lil root cellar, but he declines such a notion. so, they're kept'n the bottom 'f a well ventilated cabinet here'n the kitchen.
That's what I hear . . . but there's not many spots like that in or around the kitchen. A root cellar would be cool - I'd like one myself!
@much2say i reckon ya could do ya some research'n make ya one there'n yer yard :) such'd tell ya how deep fer yer area (soil temps 't diff'rent depths) 's well 's what'd be best to line 't with. could turn such 'nto a decorative element topside where the door'd need to be. i'd thoughts 'f a gnome village 'r somethin' 'long that line. the hubs jest looks'n horror 'n says no. i love whimsy'n the garden.
I usually just leave onions and potatoes on my counter, but garlic goes in my cabinet.
I wish we could put these things on our counter, but we have large windows . . . so with a lot of sunlight in there, they would probably sprout quickly.
@much2say Oh yeah. My kitchen has no windows.
@GreatMartin (16019)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
I put all 3 in fridge and have never had a problem with either item but then nothing stays very long in my fridge!!
18h
Hee hee - you're good about using things up in a timely manner! I used to go grocery shopping like every other day . . . I had to get used to this "stocking up" business with covid. Now I only grocery shop every 2 weeks - so it's hard to think what exactly I can stretch or use up within 2 weeks.
Onions and potatoes, separate baskets on shelf in kitchen. I do not buy much garlic as I have some dehydrated. If I do it is usually in a dish on the counter.
18h
I think our kitchen is too bright . . . I can't seem to leave anything on the counter.
I have a 2 tier rack on my kitchen counter and I keep my potatoes & onions there (never in the fridge)
18h
Everyone seems to keep them on the counter . . . I can't do that as it's a galley kitchen and the windows are too big and make it too bright and warm.
@mythociate (17006)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Onions & Garlic ... cut up on my leftover pizza. Potatoes ... mostly french fried in the fridge on a shelf above the pizza.
17h
But for us that'd be a lot of onions and garlic to even put on a whole pizza . And same with potatoes . . . but that pizza seems to be working for ya .
We have found that if we buy too many onions and potatoes at one time, they go off before we can use them. I keep them in brown paper bags in the bottom of the pantry.
18h
I used to keep ours at the bottom of the pantry . . . but I had to make room for other things to go there .
Onions, Garlic: in the fridge Potatoes: in my pantry in a basket
I wonder since you are much cooler there that everything keeps longer?
in a basket on the counter.
We have too much light and warmth going into our kitchen due to big windows. Even the fruits go bad too quickly on the counter.
Usually in the pantry
I used to keep the onions in the top pantry, and the potatoes down below . . . but I've needed to make room in the pantry for other food items.
We place the onions and potatoes in our pantry. We have a good-sized panty which is a big help when it comes to storing items.
We have a medium pantry . . . previously the onions were on the top half, and the potatoes were in the lower half (not filling the whole pantry of course ). But I've had to move them to make room for other food stuff. I would love to have one of those walk-in pantries . . . we could use a way bigger pantry!
@CarolDM (98058)
I have a bin on the counter usually.
I would love to keep them on the counter, but we get a lot of light and warmth in there . . . so I have to keep it elsewhere.
@happylife1 (13342)
• Karachi, Pakistan
in a basket in kitchen
Does it keep for a long time?
@emnuhpe (1015)
• Medan, Indonesia
In a basket
18h
Is it big or small (do you tend to stock up on onions/potatoes, or buy as you need them?).
@emnuhpe (1015)
• Medan, Indonesia
8h
@much2say I tend to stock up ononions because I use them so often. I buy potatoes as needed.
I also have trouble storing them.They are all easy to sprout.I just have small amount of onions and garlic compared to potatoes.I put potatoes into used tea bags made of aluminium foil ,then place them in a cool, dark area.The potatoes put off sprouting for some time.