Success!

My BIL, niece and nephew have a dog that is so skittish. I've taken care of her before, but those times she always had her sister & big brother there. Now it's just her and I had to earn her trust. This is my.. third day going (I think?) to feed her and let her potty and today she actually followed me to the door and waited for me to open the door & went past me to go out! I was so proud of her. She doesnt' seem to be eating her food. I gave her doggy biscuit treats the first two times I was there but yesterday evening I brought lunch meat. This morning she was disappointed that I didn't have that for her. I put a few pieces of kibble on the carpet and left it there to see if she'll eat them. I am going to bring her more lunch meat though (just a couple of pieces) and feed her that this evening. Maybe she'll get used to me (again) by the time her family comes back.
@CarolDM (98077)
Takes time, you are good with these animals.
She should remember who I am because I dog sit about once a year. It's different though because she's the only animal in the house. Definitely different from pet sitting for my sister, her animals have no qualms with telling me what they want or need.
@CarolDM (98077)
@ScribbledAdNauseum You have found your niche.
@CarolDM Nah, but I love animals and don't own any of my own. My family knows I won't say no to pet sitting.
@JESSY3236 (13469)
23h
Lily (my black cat) was very skittish around me at first. We think she had hurt her leg somehow and that's why she was skittish. I was trying to train her to go in the litter box and she would run away from me. Then one day she became missing for three days. When she finally came home, she wasn't sleeping good. I would rub her and tell her that everything will be ok. That is how we bonded. After that she was going in the litter box.
20h
I'm glad she finally got used to you. The leg injury hasn't had long term affects?
@JESSY3236 (13469)
3h
@ScribbledAdNauseum her leg healed on its own. She's fine now. She actually wanted me to play with her a few minutes ago.
@RebeccasFarm (11200)
• Denver, Colorado
You are such a good sitter
I try to be. I will be glad when I don't have to keep going back and forth though.
Some animals are friendly, some need more time to be confident. It seems you are on the right track.
Yes, but I have just two more visits before her family will be back. I think the family should have worked on getting her used to other people years ago.
@ScribbledAdNauseum You are right. The cats of my mother in law were like that, they never got the habit to see my husband and I, they run away scared to hide under the bed.
@LadyDuck I think cats startle more easily then dogs, but when dogs startle it seems a lot worse.
@LindaOHio (49023)
She'll get used to you in time.
My last day to go let her out is Monday.. The thing is that this isn't the first year I've done this. Last year I didn't, but the past couple of years before that I had. She should remember me.
@LindaOHio (49023)
@ScribbledAdNauseum I'm sure she remembers you. Dogs can be funny that way.
@LindaOHio They can be. She's confident enough to stand beside me while I open the door to let her out. She won't let me pet her, but I am sure she would if I stayed long enough. Tonight and tomorrow morning are my last days running over there. The clever girl ate just the turkey meat when I put it in her kibble this morning.
@JimBo452020 (26749)
• Montrose, Scotland
These things take time. You are doing fine.
20h
The point is that it's not going to matter, she seems to have forgotten about me from previous years of doing this same thing.
@JimBo452020 (26749)
• Montrose, Scotland
20h
@ScribbledAdNauseum Do they forget? I thought they didn't?
20h
@JimBo452020 I didn't think they did either. I petsit for them nearly every year, but last year they didn't ask me to. She finally got used to me, but not enough to let me pet her.
It has on a dog when their regular routine is just not the same for a while. Hopefully, she will eat a bit of the lunch meat you plan to give to her.
She gobbled it up. I know that it can be hard on a dog when their routine is broken, but this is the first dog I've met that has been this skittish. She should know me because it isn't the first time I've pet sat for her.
@ScribbledAdNauseum If we go away for a few hours, Molly will not eat her food until we return. Weird.
@Corbin5 My friend has a dog who goes on hunger strikes. She doesn't understand why he does it.
@moonandstars (44434)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i think she will otherwise, she wouldn't let you in
20h
Oh, at first she would run away from the door whenever I would let myself in.
Glad you made progress
20h
Till next year, at least...
@Nevena83 (52640)
• Serbia
I'm sure she'll get used to you soon.
Today and tomorrow morning are the last days I'll go let her out.. so by the time she's fully used to me it will be too late.
Aw that’s sweet she’s gotten used to you right now and hopefully afterwards too!
Well that's the thing, I've pet sat for my BIL before so she should remember me, but I've had to earn her trust again.
You are good to care for her when she is missing her family.
I didn't want to, but I wasn't going to leave her to fend for herself either.
I hope she is eating at least a little
It doesn't look as if she is. There are two dishes full of food. I took one of them and refreshed the food and I refresh the water too, but she only appears to eat what I give her.