Send Me To Google And I‘ll Never Read your Posts Again

Germany
I can‘t say how many posts I‘ve read over the years which show that the writers have a limited world view. For them the place where they live is the navel of the world. They know it well and see no reason to explain anything. I read newspapers, listen to the news on the radio and watch TV. This does not mean, however, that I know the names of, say, all important politicians or celebrities of the 195 states of the world. If a member from Indonesia, Kenia or Ecuador (to name but three) mentions a name and tells us something laudable or scandalous about an important citizen of their country, chances are good that I haven‘t got the foggiest idea what to make of this news. The same would be true for sports. I know nothing about US baseball stars or Russian ice skaters. I‘m not ashamed about that. I know other things which I find know-worthy which you may never have heard of. Whatever. When I chance on a post and don‘t get who or what it is about, I may ask the member in question for an explanation and also suggest to add it to the post because I know that other members are also at a loss. Here are my three favourite replies: “Nah, too lazy.“ “Search his name and you will find plenty to learn about him.“ “Use common sense. You could look him up!“ Indeedy, I could do that. I could look him up. But you know what? I could stop being a member on a writing site for good and forthwith spend my free time on google where I can find the answers to nearly everything. It happens occasionally that I go to google after reading a post, but the reason for this is that *I* decide to look something up. I object to being sent there by lazy or insolent writers. --- Google logo, free download
@porwest (32460)
Especially when it comes to someone trying to make an argument, as soon as they tell me to look somewhere else I tend to think, "this person really has not formulated their own opinion." Because too much of what is on the Internet is not true, half true and so on and so forth. I try to remind people that an opinion is something one comes to based on a VARIETY of data that helps one to form that opinion. It's never, and should never be, something on the basis of one source. In other words, when I share an opinion, the story one SHOULD be able to read between the lines of it is, "I have read several things on the topic and as such, my opinion is formed on the basis of a variety of information ON said topic." I WILL admit to sometimes telling someone to "look it up." BUT, usually when I say that to someone, based on what THEY are saying on the matter, it seems clear to me they are only referencing one source and have not really formed an opinion, but are simply "regurgitating the one source."
@myklj999 (49146)
Snopes says that is total bullshit Jim
Thank you for your elaborate reply.
@porwest (32460)
@myklj999 Snopes is one of those sites that claimed to fact check, but tends to only cite as fact what it likes to cite as fact.
I just look up what I need to know rather than asking the writer to provide me with the information I seek. Far less frustrating for me.
I'm not frustrated, I'm annoyed.
mylot as you see fit.
I do, but that is not the point.
@porwest (32460)
@MALUSE The only area where you and I disagree on this site is that it is a 'writing site.' I do not see it as that at all since, I would say, 99% of the members here are not, in fact, writers. I think of this site more as a social media site. Write an indepth 'article' here and it is probably going to fall flat. But a 'what I had for dinner' post will go through the roof with comments and responses. I tend to save my writing to places more suited to actual writing like a blog or a place like HubPages. This site is best suited to short, sweet posts about anything and nothing, but none of them need to be indepth or even informational. Although, I do write SOME of that sort of thing here such as when I write about politics or money. But even then, I try to make them as short as possible, and I try to break them up in a way that helps to keep people reading. For example, long paragraphs turn people off. But break it up into shorter phrases and sentences and add in other 'breaks' like bold or italics, and it gives people just enough pause to even continue reading something longer.
@porwest You said that perfectly and your right on when it comes to me as a reader. There are posts such as History and I am not at all interested I could go elsewhere for a learning lesson.
Most of the time I am not at all interested to know more of people I never heard or do not know. If I ask and the reply is to look on the web, well it means that no discussion is possible with that member and I will never read another of his/her posts in the future.
Thank you for this comment!
@MALUSE I cannot understand how people can think that the other members know everything of their country... and sometimes they do not even mention which country.
I sometimes see other members who say food i have no idea what it is and they expect me to know. I just ignore that reply. Good post what you wrote makes a lot of sense!
Thank you very much for your friendly words.
• Midland, Michigan
I've not run into that before but if I did I would feel the same way.
Thank you!
I simply don't bother reading anything from people who give those kinds of answers, it's a waste of my time since having to ask who someone is in the first place wasn't my idea of an interesting post.
Exactly! We don't play guessing puzzles here.
Well, one does but always gives the answers when asked @MALUSE
• Sonora, California
I am from the U.S and know virtually nothing about U.S Baseball as for politics it’s hard to keep up with what is going on in my own country to look up what is going on in dozens of other countries. I definitely agree with you on this, if there is something I find interesting I’ll look it up on my own...
Thank you for the comment and your support.
• Sonora, California
@MALUSE You are most welcome.
@LindaOHio (49189)
I try to remember to explain things that might be foreign to some members.
That's the way it should be done!