Is There Anything New Under The Sun?

@im2brch (219)
Alberton, South Africa
The writer Jonathan Lethem once said that when people call something “original,” nine out of ten times they just don’t know the references or the original sources involved. What a good artist understands is that everything comes from somewhere. All creative work builds on what came before. Nothing is completely original. It’s right there in the Bible: “There is nothing new under the sun.” (Ecclesiastes 1:9) Some people find this idea depressing, but it fills me with hope. As the French writer André Gide put it, “Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But, since no one was listening, everything has to be said again.” If we’re free from the burden of trying to be completely original, we can stop trying so hard to make something out of nothing, and we can embrace influence instead of running away from it.
André Gide was correct and the prove that no one is listening is the fact that people cannot remember the promises of the politicians BEFORE they were elected. They know of course.
@im2brch (219)
• Alberton, South Africa
A wise and informed answer, Anna, thank you.
@im2brch If we could remember the promises and the past we could do better in the future.
@im2brch (219)
• Alberton, South Africa
I agree with you Anna, thanks for commenting???
@oahuwriter (18909)
Reminds me if old Beatles song, All You Need Is Love...
@im2brch (219)
• Alberton, South Africa
I agree, it was a great song and even more relevant today, Krissttina.
@oahuwriter (18909)
@im2brch All we got to do these days is to research a problem online, poof pages come up for solutions.