Not-so-frugal dinner

I spent $15 on my dinner tonight. I was in the mood for a steak, so I went to the market. I purchased a New York strip steak, and risotto. I cooked my steak to medium rare in a cast iron pan, and then finished it off with rosemary butter. I made a mushroom risotto, and a cucumber, sweet pepper, and onion salad. Even though I spent more money on dinner tonight than I typically do, had I gone to a restaurant for this meal, it would have been $30 to $35. So, I don't feel guilty at all for the splurge! As well, I still have leftovers for another meal or two. It was absolutely delicious! Photo is my own.
I made a saffron risotto for lunch yesterday and we had baked fish for dinner. I would like a steak, but my husband does not feel safe if I do not freeze (raw) the meats I cook for at least one week first and it is a shame to freeze a good steak.
I agree with you. If this steak was so nice. It was cooked a nice medium rare.
@TheSojourner I like my steak medium rare too. My husband is so scared about this virus. Honestly, I do not believe that an animal could get contaminated by men and the virus transmitted through the meat.
@LadyDuck depending on the cut of meat, I can probably eat it to just about the medium level, but never more well done than that... not for a steak. Normally, I will eat it medium rare, erring on rare.
@rakski (69649)
It is okay to splurge once in a while. You still save some money for not dining in a restaurant
And I'm not putting myself in a situation to be around people during this situation with the coronavirus hanging around!
@rakski (69649)
@TheSojourner and that is one more point! and also you try to be frugal in what you eat so it is nice to treat ourselves once in a while, you deserve it
@rakski thank you. it was quite tasty, and I have enough for leftovers. I think I'm going to slice part of it to put a top of salad today.
@wolfgirl569 (35332)
• Marion, Ohio
It looks
Hands you a handkerchief to dab your drool
@wolfgirl569 (35332)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner Thank You. I bought a roast to fox next week.
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@TheSojourner You’re so nice.
@sophie09 (32175)
long time i didnt have steak as my meals. you make me crave for it
I love a good steak.
@sophie09 (32175)
@TheSojourner i usually have a sirloin steak
@sophie09 most of the time, I buy sirloin, as well. Once in awhile, I will buy a filet mignon cut or the New York strip.
I'm glad you treated yourself to this . The way you save - I think to splurge every now and then is perfectly fine. You're right - at a restaurant it would cost way more - and it's probably a lot healthier making it at home. Yum yum yum!!!
Check this out to listen:
https://twitter.com/WiseAthena55/status/1329613334526701574?s=20
@TheSojourner Oh my gah !!! That sounded so sizzlin' GOOD.
@much2say someone else had put theirs up with the ribeye, and I put mine up with the New York strip with some Rosemary in it. I hope you saw the one that I put up.
@oahuwriter (17338)
Yummy! I too craved beef so I went shopping and to.my pleasant surprise I found a small New York cut steak!! Potatoes & onion with a fresh veggie salad. Hit the spot!
Exactly! This was about 12 oz, so I'm going to get two meals out of it. I have to admit that I ate nearly half of it!
@oahuwriter (17338)
@TheSojourner Know what you mean for New York cut is delish. Mine was 6" long but just about 1 1/2 " wide. I was pleasantly surprised and scooped it up. Just right for my meal that I gobbled up.
@oahuwriter I don't care so much about length and width, but thickness is important to me. I need it med rare to rare.
@porwest (34020)
That looks absolutely amazing, and I tend to think of it the same way. What would this have cost me in a restaurant? I prefer the ribeye, and might get some this weekend. Been a while since I have had a steak.
Check this out to listen...mine is the one w/the rosemary in the skillet.
@porwest (34020)
@TheSojourner My GOD that looks DELICIOUS. PLEASE send me the recipe via PM if you will. I want to do this with a ribeye.
@porwest cast iron skillet, olive oil in the bottom of the pan heat on medium heat until the cast iron is hot. Season the steak like you want. I use black pepper always. This time I used a blend I got it Christmas at trader Joe's called Roadhouse blend last year period it had coffee and I don't even know what else. I liberally put that on and pressed it in. I seared the steak and allowed it to cook for a few minutes, turned it over and did the same thing, and then took my tongs and made sure that I got a good sear all the way around on the fat. I added about two tablespoons of butter to the pan and a sprig of fresh Rosemary off my plant. And then I basted the steak until it was done to my liking. I let it sit for a couple of minutes. It was a perfect medium rare.
@LindaOHio (51681)
I'm glad you decided to splurge. It's been years since I had a steak. I think we have a couple in the freezer that my husband wants to make for him and me.
Time for him to get busy!! Having a couple that end up getting thrown away because of freezer burn isn't doing your tummy and taste buds any good!!
@LindaOHio (51681)
@TheSojourner Maybe we will have them for New Year's or Christmas Eve.
@LindaOHio Tell him to get busy!! My order!
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
You have to splurge every now and then!!
Check this out to listen:
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@TheSojourner — ooh! I can almost smell it!!!
@FourWalls I know, right?
• Sonora, California
I think it’s important we allow ourselves a splurge every now and then.
I appreciate the reminder
• Sonora, California
@TheSojourner no problem...
@BrittneeD (345)
That looks so good sometimes you just have to splurge
Thank you!
@CarolDM (102792)
Yum, that looks beautiful and delicious. You deserve this, do not feel guilty.
Thanks!!
It looks wonderful
@prinzcy (8275)
It's not wrong to splurge on yourself. Sometime you yourself need love too. The meal looks delicious.
Thank you so much!
@ZedSmart (13854)
It looks very delicious. I think sometimes, we need to treat ourselves beyond the usual. Don't feel guilty because you still save half the price had you dined out.
Thank you. I think we have to remind ourselves to do that sometimes.
Nice food