One of my favorite Holiday seasons was when I gave these five gifts

Many of you remember the site, Bubblews. Many of you probably, like many of the rest us, have little good to say about how things turned out, as the site deteriorated and was dissolved. HOWEVER... I met many wonderful people at that site, made many friends (many of whom came here), and made many memories. One winter holiday season, I wrote a post that I wanted to send gifts to five people. I did not need to know them, nor was it necessary that they sent me anything. I had to limit it to people in the United States (for the cost of postage reasons), and I left the rest up to chance. I also let them know that the things may not new, but were things that meant something to me. (Note: These next memories are from the top-of-my-head, as I did not record them, when it happened. I think that I am fairly accurate in what I remember, but the finest of details may have left me. This is how I remember it. Any inaccuracies are not intended as such.) Interestingly, of the five who responded (it took a long time for that to happen, and I wasn't sure the experiment was going to work), I knew very little about them, what they liked, or what was needed. I just went on gut instinct. The first person was someone who had recently moved from the south to a cold climate. I set aside a crocheted scarf that I just finished. It was soft and thick, and was made out of the most beautiful pinks and purple colors. Little did I know that she had been given a jacket at her church to keep warm. The colors were of the same and complimentary colors. I nearly cried when I saw the photo she posted. I had already sent the package off before I knew of her receipt of the coat. The second person was someone who I knew for awhile. A teacher and a writer, and a fellow veteran, I had always felt a kinship with this person. I had an antique copy of "Robert's Rules of Order," which is a guide for conducting meetings and making decisions as a group. I knew that I wanted him to have it, and that he would appreciate it on many levels. Later, I found out that he had a special bond to that book from his formative years. He is also a collector of some antique books. It really was as if there was some supernatural connection that brought that gift to the right recipient. The third person was gifted a small crystal nativity decoration that had been mine for a number of years. I wrapped it up in a cosmetic bag. I knew that she would appreciate the collectible, knowing her faith. She also told me that she was in need of of new bag, and would not have to go out to purchase one. The fourth person was someone I did not know at all. I had very little to go on, but I gifted her a beautiful lacy doily that someone had made for me, when I was diagnosed with Neuroendocrine cancer. It was lovely, but not something that I would use, and it had been put away for a couple of years. When she let me know that it had arrived, she was thrilled. It was going to be displayed on the back of the couch. It reminded her of an older family member. I knew it had found the perfect home. Lastly, the fifth person was getting his PhD. I knew that he lived with a family member, and had his own room. Of all the people on my list, I had absolutely no idea what I was to send. I finally decided on a small Christmas ornament. It was of a little Yul Tomte (Christmas elf) that I bought when I was in Sweden. I came to learn later that he had a small Christmas tree in his room, and he collected Santa ornaments. I wonder... How was it that the five gifts that I sent seemed to be the perfect choices? How was it that these particular people agreed to allow me that joy? Would I have a similar experience doing this again? I wonder about these types of things...and more. Photo credit: Pixabay
@prinzcy (8606)
The site may be fake, but some of the people might be real.
I truly believe in kindness and believe that people are inherently good. At least, most.
Gut instinct never fails. I am sure it was a wonderful Christmas for you as well as for those who received the gifts. I am pretty sure about the name of one of them. I was also on Bubblews, I am just grateful because of the many great people I met there. They were disgusting, but at least I made good friends.
It was a very heartwarming situation. Christmas is not one of my favorite holidays, but it was a way for me to find Joy at that time. I am still in contact with two of the five people.
@TheSojourner Christmas bring back memories and often this makes me sad, but giving is always what gave me more joy.
@LadyDuck I understand completely. I always have gone out of my way to try to make others happy.
That was nice of you. Yes, you are correct, there are a lot of us who have nothing good to say about the 'B' site.
The good about that site was that I met so many wonderful people, including you.
@TheSojourner thanks for the kind words. I was in myLot before the B site but I guess we haven't crossed paths yet. Met a lot of great people in both myLot and the B site. You are definitely one of the great ones.
@allen0187 you are making me blush, Allen.
@LindaOHio (51973)
What a cool story and so many great memories.
I'm still waiting to hear from people behind the scenes who wouldn't mind getting a holiday card from me. So far, I've had one person share an address. I love to send letters and cards throughout the year.
@LindaOHio (51973)
@TheSojourner Want to exchange addresses? I'd love to send you a card.
@Cheyee (3693)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
I don't know about that site at all, but you've met wonderful people there. I believe nothing is such coincidence, God plan everything for us.
You can find wonderful people if you look for them no matter where you are.
@Cheyee (3693)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
@TheSojourner I know, I found you here, right? And few others
@rakski (70001)
I can only say it was meant to be.
I agree.
@rakski (70001)
@wolfgirl569 (35552)
• Marion, Ohio
I remember you doing that. I also remember that it made you extremely happy. Glad they all loved the gifts.
It was a cool experiment. And I hope that all of the people remember it. I am not in contact any longer with three of the five.
@ARIES1973 (9859)
• Legaspi, Philippines
It was such a sweet act. I believe it will be a great plan to do it again this year.
I would like to do that again, but I find that being able to accept something from someone is often uncomfortable, so people are unwilling to come to you and say I'd like to be a part of that. I hope that that changes within this next 10 days.
I think you are good at picking gifts for each person.
Since I didn't know the people well, then I had to go on my heart.
That was sweet of you to do and a great experiment. Great how all the gifts worked out. You have always been kind in my eyes,
Courtney! Stop telling these things out in the open! I don't want to ruin my rotten reputation! LOL
You did good with what you picked for each person.
I enjoyed doing this. I'd like to do it again this year, if there were five people who were to contact me in DM about it.
@TheSojourner I hope you get the chance to do it again.
That is such a great story and thanks for sharing it with us. Your gut instinct really kicked in with all those gifts.
I will have to do something this year, even if I don't get others to ask. It really does feel good to do it.