Udon noodles for lunch

I needed some comfort food. I had a packet of udon noodles up in my cupboard. I had plain unsalted chicken broth on my stove. I took one and a half cups of the broth, cooked the noodles in it, added one half of the soup packet, and a few fried onion bits that I get at the Asian store. Lunch for under $1. Photo is my own.
@Cheyee (4047)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
I like noodles, except udon. They are too big for my liking. And the soup package is too sweet for me. Beautiful bowl by the way.
Thank you. I like the heartiness of the noodle, but I don't use the seasoning packets in most noodles. I like to make my own. Today I used half the packet, which was okay.
@Cheyee (4047)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
@TheSojourner seasoning packet leaves weird taste in my mouth. Maybe they put too much sodium, it makes me thirsty constantly
@Cheyee Exactly! And many of them use monosodium glutamate (MSG), as well.
• Walnut Creek, California
That looks really good. I would like that right now. I had (frozen) pot roast for my afternoon post-hike meal. But some soup would suit me right now before I go to bed.
Hang out with me during this time of year, and as we move into winter, and I'd feed you soup to your heart's content. I am going to have a few days without Honey after tomorrow night. I am going to the mountain for a hike on my own. I have missed it.
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner Mt. Rainier?
@TheHorse green mtn here on the Peninsula... Not going to make it today, and probably not tomorrow because it's going to rain so hard. Hopefully, Wednesday will give me a break to be able to do so.
I have never tasted udon nooddles. And as I cook my own chicken broth, ot os always salty. as I cook it with salt, oregano and some onion.
Because I boil the chicken for Honey, I keep it plain. I can always use other herbs later.
@TheSojourner I did that during Misty┬┤s last days. I got the bones from fish at the farmers market for free. I washed them at home and boiled them with no salt. In that water I then boiled all sorts of veggies. And with the meat between the bones I made a delicious salad for myself.
@marguicha did the bones break down?
@sophie09 (32772)
i love udon noodles, i do miss my favorite udon at the restaurant
I understand. That's why I'm glad they're readily available my grocery store, until people start to panic and then they fly off the shelf. we're doing that again now... between the noodles, rice, and toilet paper.
@sophie09 (32772)
@TheSojourner so do you already stock them ?
@sophie09 I have currently a package of buckwheat soba noodles that have five bundles, if I remember right. I also have a package of bihon rice noodles, and then several pounds of dry spaghetti, some egg noodles, and pasta shells.
@LindaOHio (52237)
It's in the 30s and raining here. I had soup as well.
It's in the low 40s and raining right now. I think it's supposed to be that way until Thursday when we should have a little bit of sun, as they are suggesting for the moment.
@LindaOHio (52237)
@TheSojourner Cold and rainy is the worst!
@LindaOHio I'm not so sure if cold and rainy is the worst or cold and snowy. It's that ice and snow I don't like.
• Israel
@TheSojourner Sounds like a nice and cheap lunch.
There's something about noodles and broth in so many cultures! The ultimate comfort food.
• Israel
@TheSojourner I like chicken soup myself and onion soup.
@Hannihar both are good.
@CarolDM (103754)
I see my favorite bowl again. I love noodles.
I love so many different types of noodles. Have you ever had the buckwheat noodles from japan?
@CarolDM (103754)
@TheSojourner No I have not had these. You have so many interesting foods from all over the world.
@CarolDM I think those are my favorite of all kinds of noodles anywhere.
I love udon noodles, I also made a soup today for lunch, potato and carrot creamy soup, it's cold today.
I need to start eating the soup that I made a few weeks ago and froze in containers. I will pick up fillet of salmon that I bought the other day out of my freezer. I will cook that for a late lunch or early dinner, when rgd is here. I also have some broccolini that I need to cook, so it will be a simple meal.
@TheSojourner We only had the soup for lunch but I have to say that I was hungry half an hour ago and I had an apple.
That looks good! Had some Cajun chicken and baked beans for lunch yesterday.
Ooh! That sounds good
@TheSojourner it was delicious. Lived up to my expectations. Would like to have some again this week.
@allen0187 and, there you go!
I love Udon noodles. The last time I had one was almost a year ago.
I really like them being larger. I also like miki noodles
@prinzcy (8852)
I love almost all kind of noodles. Udon too. This look yummy enough. Since I love colour, I probably would add green onion and slices of red chilies. Just to make it pretty That's cheap though. Udon cost more here. I think the one from Vits is around RM5 more or less. Got three packets inside.
Normally, I would have done the same. But, I was lazy! Lol
Looks good
Thank you.
@KristenH (30517)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Not bad. I never heard of Udon noodles before.
I enjoy noodles of all kinds.
@KristenH (30517)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio