Looks like Drunksgiving has been cancelled for much of America.

By JJ
@myklj999 (50752)
I see some of your scratching your head and saying "Of what is this Drunksgiving of which he doth speak?" Traditionally, 'Drunksgiving' is the night before Thanksgiving (so it always falls on a Wednesday - Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday in November) when all the people that came home to be with family for Thanksgiving dinner go out to the bars (since they don't have to get up early to go to work the next day), meet up with old acquaintances, and drink like there's no tomorrow...which, unfortunately, for some that will be true after wrapping their car around a tree on the way home because they were too drunk to drive. But it is one of the busiest nights of the year for most bars...rivaling St. Patrick’s Day and Superbowl Sunday (nothing outdoes New Year's Eve, also known as 'Amateur Night' by many older drinkers). Except - enter stage left - COVID. Many bars are currently closed due to restrictions, and those open which only allow outdoor seating will not do much business in the northern half of the US where temperatures are not very conducive to outside activities (who wants to sit out in 32 F/0 C weather to drink?) Myself, I haven't gone for a few years (unless I had to run sound for a live band) and I don't really miss it, but I'm sure there are going to be many who find it all a bit 'restrictive' of their normal life. I offer my sympathies. And then I go to bed...you know you are old when you would rather sleep than drink. (Article is from last year pre-COVID)
It’s not an official holiday but you’d never know it based on the amount of people who party on the night before Thanksgiving.
@ZedSmart (13850)
How about taking some few shots of brandy before going to sleep? BTW, the latter part of of your post make me laugh. At least you accepted the truth with grace and not with disgust.
I did not know that you had this special holiday. It is necessary that it is cancelled this year, people tend to forget the rules of living thru covid when they've been drinking.
@myklj999 (50752)
It isn't an 'official' holiday
Our local bars are still open, although they need to close by 10:00. If they serve food, it has to be take out only after 10.
We used to go to cabarets and wonder at the people who all headed off home at midnight but we hadn't been married too many years before we were doing the exact same thing.
@arunima25 (48845)
• Bangalore, India
All fancy and luxury celebrations are cancelled around the world. I am missing them. Well I don't enjoy much of going out and I don't drink. But yes husband is missing his drink parties and get together.
@prinzcy (8271)
I guess I am one of those who don't really miss going out. I must be the odd ones.
@rsa101 (29877)
Wow this will be the first time that US would suspend a big celebration in line with the pandemic. We have skipped a lot almost 8 mos with no fancy celebrations done during our holidays.
@CarolDM (102792)
Drinking at home should be easier for you, no designated driver needed.
@myklj999 (50752)
I dunno...these two here might get a bit put out about me gettin' drunk and stepping on them
@CarolDM (102792)
@myklj999 They will keep you in line.
A toast for all our brothers and sisters who won't be able to celebrate Drunksgiving!
@myklj999 (50752)
*tips bottle of Southern Comfort*
@myklj999 *tips a bottle of San Miguel's finest Pale Pilsen*
All our bars and restaurants are closed, we just hope that restrictions will be eased by Christmas.
@myklj999 (50752)
We're getting that fabled 'second wave' and it is worse than the first
@myklj999 Yes, our first lockdown didn't stop it, I can't see this one doing it either.
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I guess most people will be picking up their turkeys from the liquor store this year instead of the Kroger.....
@myklj999 (50752)
I may go ahead and go to Alice's
@FourWalls (29161)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@myklj999 — just don’t dump half a ton of garbage anywhere.
@wolfgirl569 (35332)
• Marion, Ohio
I have never went out on that day that I can remember.
@myklj999 (50752)
Bars are usually packed wall-to-wall with standing room only...not a real good idea right now, but that hadn't stopped several things
@wolfgirl569 (35332)
• Marion, Ohio
@myklj999 The local bar that we used to go to is often packed on Fridays as she has an all you can eat fish dinner. We had seen it was getting busier again. But this Friday she had scaled back or people just were not going out one.
yepperz, back'n the day such 'twas a 'thing'. most oft i 'twas the designated dummy, er, i mean driver 'f such mayhem. i've no doubts folks've well stocked liquor cabinets though'n those 'ccustomed to this 'tradition' 'll jest get plastered 't home. which's good. no tree wrappin', 'njuries to self'n others.
@BarBaraPrz (28548)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Have some coughee instead.
So many things have been canceled.
@KityCat (6523)
Lol DrunksGiving is not for me
@TheSojourner (30803)
I didn't know it was a thing! It's been many years since I closed down the bars.
@id_peace (12862)
Drunkgiving day. How cute is that.
That is something I did not know, but I am not surprised, get drunk the day before and eat too much the day after, a wonderful celebration for sure!
@LindaOHio (51666)
I can't imagine handling cooking Thanksgiving dinner after a night like that!