Starting to put parcels together to send for the holidays

I do not send cards or packages at the holidays like I used to years ago. However, there are still a couple of families that I like to send surprises to during the winter holidays. Because of the coronavirus, I will be sending a few more to people I usually see during the season. I will not get together with them this season. Most understand why. Another refuses to isolate for any reason and still goes to Zumba and other social situations, but doesn't understand why I won't meet her, as she tells me, "but we keep our group to less than 10, and maintain social distance." She admits to me that they do not wear masks while dancing (Zumba) or when they are in one another's home. She also says that she hugs others. She says that she understands my concerns and "will be glad when this is all over." I have already told her months ago that I am unwilling to go to her home or have her over until she "is willing to isolate for two weeks, as I would for her." She doesn't respond, and I know she thinks I'm being hard-nosed. I have gifts for her from her birthday (July), and also for Christmas. I need to get those in the mail soon. I have the first of my parcels ready to send to my niece and her family in California. She is expecting her third child by the end of year. She has a nearly 6-year-old daughter, and 3-year-old son. I will have another package to send after the new baby boy arrives. I also have the boxes started for my sister in Oklahoma, and my daughter just an hour away. I also have a few small things to send out to special people in my life. I'm going to likely mail my daughter's gifts to her. If we do see one another for Christmas (it will depend on a few things that I need to discuss with her), it will be a very short visit, and outside. I really would like to have all parcels and cards ready to mail no later than the 8th. If I could get them done by the 4th, I will be very happy. Photo credit: Pixabay
@CarolDM (108888)
I have a friend in Australia I usually send a package to. We exchange birthday and Christmas gifts. But that is usually all I do. I have a close friend where I grew up that often sends me an ornament. Since I don't decorate, I hang them on my baker's rack with my plants.
I understand completely! I have put up a Christmas tree twice in the last 25 years
@CarolDM (108888)
@TheSojourner Sounds like we are on the same page. And it sounds like you would be hard to buy for since you have recently gotten rid of many things.
@CarolDM you know, I'm not generally very hard to buy for, I don't think. As people get to know me, I'm very easy.
I understand your concerns about your friend. I also understand her, though I don't understand why she doesn't mask. I hope you get all the parcels out in a timely fashion and everyone has a wonderful Christmas.
I do not understand why she goes around and does so many things with so many people, but does not understand why it's necessary to isolate in certain cases, especially for people she wants to be around that have extreme medical conditions. She goes to visit somebody that we know that has only 30% of his heart function. That she would be unwilling to curb her decisions to keep him a little safer, is beyond me. I'm hoping to get it all done soon! I'll probably hit the post office tomorrow to get this first package out, or wait for the end of the week friday.
@TheSojourner That is inconsiderate on her part. Visiting people with low immune systems shouldn't happen. Not wearing a mask around them - totally not good. That's one thing I missed so much the past couple of months because I couldn't go anywhere or have anyone here that could compromise my immune system with the surgeries I was having and had. I went to church this morning for the first time since September. It was so good to be around people again. No, I didn't wear a mask, and no I didn't social distance. People are good about staying home if they are sick or contagious. It's the only place I wouldn't wear a mask. I wear one everywhere else and I social distance to the best of my ability. I hope you get it all done by Friday.
@just4him please keep yourself safe. I know you understand the risks. I am so glad that you feel comfortable now and can do some of the things that you have wanted to do. I know how important that is for you. Are you getting snow up there yet?
I like to get things wrapped , ready and sent by the first week in December.
I'm certainly going to try!
@TheSojourner good luck
• Leesburg, Georgia
That's so sweet of you! I hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving!!
It is very quiet. I hope you and your family had a wonderful day and that your weekend is all you want it to be.
• Leesburg, Georgia
@TheSojourner Thank you! We spent it together and with our Father. =)
There are a great many people like your friend. They keep social distance but think hugging is okay. The mind boggles.
I still find it unbelievable that doing zumba in a garage with up to 10 people, breathing hard, and being maskless, is social distancing.
@TheSojourner Crazy, isn't it?
@JudyEv yeppers
• Mt. Vernon, New York
I am sending out a few things but I am ordering online and having it shipped that way.
That's a smart way to do it. I have a lot of things that I have collected over the year or two, that can serve as gifts.
• Mt. Vernon, New York
@TheSojourner I do as well and they are all under my tree. I am not up for the postage costs since they increased. I pay prime so they will do it for me.
@sharon6345 that's good!
@rakski (73988)
that is nice! I do understand you. I only get to hang out with the immediate family whom also I know is not in contact with other people just like us. It is better to be safe
I agree!
@rakski (73988)
Goodluck mailing them all on time. Bet they'll all love them. Sorry about your friend. I get their side, as I myself am around people in the family often enough and what not, but also understand your side and she should do it for you if you ask and she really cared about seeing you. Smh.
I don't fault her for wanting to be around her family. I fought her for putting other people in possible harms way, because of her refusal to wear a mask while she's doing zumba. but those are the choices that everyone gets to make period And I make the decision not to be around her as long as she's behaving in that fashion.
@TheSojourner exactly.
@wolfgirl569 (34849)
• Marion, Ohio
Glad they all understand you not visiting.
Even if they don't, I don't care!
@wolfgirl569 (34849)
• Marion, Ohio
@sallypup (42401)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Postage has gotten so expensive. I mailed my Yule Tales early this year, just in case it takes a little longer to get to folks- three live in Canada.
It has gotten expensive, which is why I try to utilize the boxes that they have that are flat rate and get as much as I possibly can in them!
@LindaOHio (55014)
We only have to buy one gift card for our little housekeeper. I miss buying gifts for everyone.
I don't feel like I have to do it anymore, but I do want to period and that's why sometimes I will buy things on sale and wrap them and give them away to random people.
@1creekgirl (23515)
You're very busy! We don't have a lot of family to give gifts to other than our two kids and five grands. The few that I did take some goodies or small gifts to are in a nursing home. I hope the visit with your daughter will work out well.
I haven't yet talked to her about how we're going to do that period we'll have to really see what happens in these next few weeks
I hope that you can do it by that date
I will certainly do my best!
Good luck with it all. I haven't even thought about Christmas shopping yet. I need to get on it.
I have things that I can give that are new that I do not have to shop for.