Preparations for a long winter and spring

I have spent quite a lot of money in these past two weeks. Quite honestly, most of it has been spent on myself. As many already know, I purchased an Instant Pot, and the Oster XL Toaster Convection oven. I have also spent quite a lot stocking my cabinets again, so that I don't have to leave to go anywhere, just in case this coronavirus goes haywire again. I should be good for the winter and spring, and be able to cook well, too! I know that it seems like it's a lot for one person, and it is. However, if anyone needs anything, I can arrange to get it to them. I am grateful to have had some extra money put away so that I can accommodate a shut down. I really don't want to put myself In harm's way, as this third wave of the novel coronavirus starts on its merry way. The only thing that I will be lacking, will be some of the fresh foods. I will figure a way to get through what I can to keep some of those things around. This is when having a knowledge of food and what will last longer is important. I know that buying heavy winter vegetables, rather than lettuces, will allow me to eat vegetables. I can also blanch kl some of them and freeze them, if necessary. I am not someone who is a fearful person. But, I believe in science; I believe in taking personal responsibility; and, I believe in being prepared. I have to go out every month to the doctor's office for a monthly shot. If that's the only time that I leave my home, then I will make sure that I can do whatever I need to do that one time a month. I will take walks in areas where there are no people. I have no problem doing that, even in the winter time. Unlike others that I know, I will wear a mask everywhere I go. I will insist that others do the same. If they are not willing to do so, then I don't need to talk to them or be around them. No, I am not being hard to deal with, nor am I trying to make anyone's life miserable. I simply believe it's the prudent thing to do, and I will not be selfish. But, I will expect the same from others that which I will do for or give to them in this regard. So, I'm starting to hunker down. I will be seeing fewer people. I will have Honey to care for, as long as she is with me, and I will see RGD from time to time. I know how he lives, and his habits. We both understand the risks, and how to mitigate them. It is strange how life has turned upside down. Yet, I'm still here to talk about it. Photo is my own. The collage cut much of it off. This only shows about 2/3 of what's inside.
@rakski (74345)
good to have stocks so you do not need to go out
I know it's a good thing, but I have to admit that I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed being stocked so much. I really don't like it being so full. LOL
@rakski (74345)
@TheSojourner ahaha though I feel secure with a lot of stocks, I do not want to be so full also
@rakski so I'm not alone. Some people would look at it and be grateful and I am. So I'm not sure why it makes me anxious.
@sallypup (42452)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Stay safe and forget the idea of being fearful.
And that is the difference between preparation and being ill-prepared. One can only do so much, and the rest we have really no control. I will control what I can. The rest is up to the universe.
We also spent more on food, but I am stocking because I do not want to go out if not absolutely necessary. I have blanched and frozen artichokes, spinach, snow peas and I bought dried beans, lentils and garbanzo beans. I have fish and chicken in the freezer, we should not spend a lot in the next few months.
That is similar to me. I wish I had more freezer space and could blanch more, but I will make do with what I have.
@TheSojourner We bought a third freezer the past summer just to have more frozen food ready, we are pretty worried about the actual virus situation.
@LadyDuck I've thought about buying a small chest freezer. But I bought these other two appliances, and I want to use them. I don't need to buy a freezer, just to stock more food, if I'm not cooking them in the instant pot and the countertop oven! LOL
@kaylachan (10583)
I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, this winter and spring tend to go well for you, and you can stay sane.
I plan on it. Thank you. I know that after this spring and summer, I know what I can do. I also have some other projects that I can start to work on ... I need to do that.
@kaylachan (10583)
@TheSojourner Yeah. I know how that goes. I'm always telling myself, I'll do this or I'll do that. Doesn't always work the way I want it. You're quite welcome.
looks 'kin to my sweet momma's, yet most ends'p tossed'n the trash :( none'f 'em cook, e'en the 'convenience' foods 'xpire. unlike yerself, they're most wasteful 'n blow lots 'f funds. she's been that way fer years. if'n more folks wore properly fittin' masks correctly, social distanced 'n washed their dang hands...
I think I understood what you were saying in that first part! I do try! But I've had my share of having to throw things away period in fact, I had two cucumbers that just went quickly recently. I hated throwing them away. actually I did not throw them out, but they ended up in the worm compost bin that went home with rgd. Yes, if only.
Agree on on points you raised.
If you stop by, just call. I'll have a plate of food for you, still warm. I'll just ask that you bring fresh veggies in exchange. LOL
My collages are often missing a bit too. I don't know why that is. Taking the precautions you are taking is just common sense really and, as you say, taking responsibility. It's about staying healthy, not about human rights.
I'll do the best that I can. I can only prepare for myself and people I care about, just in case. And I need to stay healthy. It's why I got the pneumonia and flu shots this year. Normally I don't get those kinds of things, but with this virus, I know that it hits the lungs. So, I thought about it long and hard and made the decision to do so. So, I'm as prepared as I can be.
@FourWalls (30365)
You're all set to hibernate! Question: as you live on the base, are the commissary stores open during all of this? Or do you prefer to shop elsewhere?
I will go to the commissary, and get what is needed, and then don't have to go out in town. However, I do have two places I like to go--Trader Joes, and Grocery Outlet. I'll go during the self-isolation ONLY in the mornings, when open for seniors and there are fewer, and in conjunction with other things like library runs or doctor appointments. Otherwise, everything I really need is here on base. Not always what I want, but I feel safer here.
@1creekgirl (23567)
Around here, more and more people aten't wearing masks, but we wear them everywhere. Glad you're stocking up so you won't have to go out much.
I am glad to hear that you're doing so. There are a lot of people that just think they are immune from it all, or they think that it's a hoax, or they think that others should just stay home and let them do whatever they want to...It's so crazy to me.
@CarolDM (109475)
I have noticed prices creeping up again. Stocked up here as well. Very smart thing to do.
I'm noticing that the prices of chicken seems to be going down, but other things continue to go up.
@CarolDM (109475)
@TheSojourner I have stocked up on most things.
@CarolDM the only thing I don't have is a lot of vegetables. But I did buy all those cans of Italian green beans! So I guess those will have to do, and I do have cabbage and kale which can last a little bit longer. I probably need to buy some carrots and some other root vegetables.
• Israel
@TheSojourner Thank you for that Coral. I understand what you are saying about wearing masks and those that do not it is not right that they walk around without masks and do not care about the rest of us that do follow rules.
• Israel
@TheSojourner You are so right about the enforcing. I see here that the police are supposed to fine those not wearing masks but they instead turn a blind eye. It is so so sad. The powers that be say we need to wear masks but there is no one to fine those that do not. You are right it is very crazy.
@tammys85 (24394)
• Baltimore, Maryland
@TheSojourner The masks are mandatory in most, if not all, places here in Maryland. I love it when people here are like "I'm not wearing the mask." Okay, then stay home and shop online because most places here aren't letting you in without it. (And I'm referring to people who don't want to because... they don't want, not for health reasons.) I'm glad you're stocked up!
@LindaOHio (55228)
This is a good time to hibernate anyway. I'm glad to hear that you're prepared. I suspect that restaurants will be closed to indoor dining again soon. Other than doctor appointments and trips to the food store, that's the only time we have gone out (carefully). Have a great Thanksgiving with Honey and RGD.
I have not sat in a restaurant since february. I don't plan on doing it again for a long time. I have gone through the drive-thru of different takeout lines. I've done that with a place for teriyaki, and a local Mexican restaurant. I have to say that I miss the people being around in some ways. I never used to mind dining alone because there were people around. Enjoy your thanksgiving, as well. Any special meal plans?
@LindaOHio (55228)
@TheSojourner Hubs is making the turkey and some sides. We will have enough food for a week!
@LindaOHio I understand!
@Cheyee (8533)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
Wow. That's alot. Winter and spring. That would be 6 months? I don't think you're being hard. Precautions is the best. We know how corona works. Older people have weaker immunity. And it makes them hard to recover and become fatal.
I'm not so worried about my age, as I am only 65, and I'm active. But that my immune system is compromised because of the cancer I live with, then I am more concerned. I also worry about rgd because he is nearing 70 and has had a valve replaced in his heart, so we have those concerns for him.
@Cheyee (8533)
• Pakanbaru, Indonesia
@TheSojourner ah the Comorbid...
@sophie09 (33908)
that is good you have stocked food
@Fleura (12987)
I like my cupboards to be well-stocked, even in 'normal' times. I hate it when I plan to cook something and then I find that some staple item has run out and no-one mentioned it. My idea of security is a well-stocked cupboard (and freezer) and an adequate woodpile!
I appreciate your take on it. It's a good perspective. I think that I'm just a little overwhelmed with it all. It's just one of me. However, I think that I have a family to feed in my head period part of it is probably how I grew up. I can't judge well what is food stock for one versus six or more. I wish I had a fireplace! But then I would be overwhelmed more because of having to get the wood pile stock to! LOL
@prinzcy (13688)
That's a lot of food! I love full pantry like this!
Thank you period I wish I knew what made me so uncomfortable about it.
You got a lot of food in your pantry.
I don't have to go anywhere that's not necessary.