Restored piano

@Thrilliana (14062)
My piano hasnt been tuned for 4 years already... i was about to give up to this because i planned on getting a digital one. But i still dont have enough money to buy the digital piano i want. I dont want to waste money to buy a cheaper one then buy the one that i want when the time comes. Buuuuut, i decided to give my upright piano a chance. I spent $240 for it to be fixed. Cheaper than the $1000 digital piano that i want.. realized my upright piano is still the best than any digital piano.. soooo i guess i will just maintain it again the way i used to maintain it before. The only problem is its very humid in our country and it causes the piano to sound funny during rainy days.. hehe Do you use dehumidifier in your house?? Do they really work??? I think my piano needs it during wet days.
@rsa101 (30585)
Wow that is a very costly to restore/maintain a piano. I think that the classical piano is the best when you are using them for your tutorial classes. I also do not have dehumidifier at home and has humidifier at home instead. I think those that you can buy from the Japanese stores are okay. I have not tried it on my place but if its needed by your piano you should get one so it won't deteriorate soon.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Its expensive because i neglect if for a few years.. it needs to be tuned for once or twice a year because of humidity.. i used desiccant for piano before.. it was free gift when we bought the piano but they are not available here in PH. The desiccant from Japan does work but it needs to be replaced frequently.. so i am thinking of buying a electric ones. Still thinking haha
@rsa101 (30585)
@Thrilliana I see, I really am not familiar with dehumidifiers myself. How much does the electric ones are? I guess it will be practical to buy it since it means prolong use of it.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@rsa101 there are cheap ones like $30. And yes. Using the electrical ones are i think the best. Plus no more waste from the single use desiccants.
@edisondanila (37007)
We don't have humidifier.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Hehehe i have humidifier. For essential oil purposes. Hehe
@Thrilliana Good on you friend.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@edisondanila yes. but i think my piano needs a dehumidifier..
@kaylachan (10099)
Used to use it growing up when we were sick. I think it could help.
@Thrilliana (14062)
That is nice. Ive read that they also help with dust.. but i dont know if it will also work with the piano i hope so.
• Peoria, Arizona
I never realized how a piano would be affected by humidity. Hopefully, there is something that can prevent any damanage. Glad it was tuned and you can continue playing.
@Thrilliana (14062)
An upright piano is mostly made of wood and wood expand when it gets somehow wet. Thats the reason why it becomes out of tune sometimes. Hehe. Thank you.. i also need it for work. And yes. Finally i can play nicely again.
@rakski (73991)
I am glad that your piano is restored.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Yes. I can play with it again. Our house is always noisy again ahahaha
@rakski (73991)
@Thrilliana that is music
@Thrilliana (14062)
@rakski not when practicing hehehee
Your piano is surely a lot better than a $1,000 digital piano. I am glad you had it fixed. I use a dehumidifier in the room downstairs where I store dry food, YES, it works!
@Thrilliana (14062)
What kind of dehumidifier are you using?? I bought an electric desiccant lol I hope that one work too.. Yes my piano is a lot better. But keeping it beautiful can surely cost money. Thats why im thinking of getting a digital piano before. Hehe
@Thrilliana I use an electric dehumidifier identical the the one in this photo. I also have a dehydrator (for the fruits and veggies) it works very well. I love old real pianos, but not a lot digital pianos.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@LadyDuck do you keep them running all day??
@eileenleyva (21121)
Our piano also needs retuning. That's a pretty expensive amount for tuning. Perhaps the sounding board was changed. Or maybe, I do not know the rate for tuning now. It's been over a decade since we had the piano tuned. Our piano teacher said that you only have to light a lampshade, so the piano will not moist.
@Thrilliana (14062)
They also fix the mechanism inside because there are ribbons and hammer that has been destroyed by a mice. tuning will only cost 1500-3000 depending on where you live.. Oh i didnt know about lampshade. Hahah i am looking for dampp chaser but its not available locally i guess.
@eileenleyva (21121)
@Thrilliana Our little friendly rodents could really damage our precious pianos and books. Sigh. I call on St. Martin de Porres when that happens. He did communicate with the mice and asked these little creatures not to gnaw the library books in the Dominican monastery. Perhaps he could intervene for me, too. Yup, changing the felts are expensive. It's a difficult task after all. Thanks for telling the price. Still the same, I suppose.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@eileenleyva oh i ndidnt know they are called felts. Hahaha. You are welcome. My piano got mouse trap now. So if ever theres a roaming rats in our house it cannot use my piano as an apartment ahahah.
@FayeHazel (36012)
I'm happy you are giving your upright piano another chance. They sound lovely. maybe there is a specially made dehumidifier just for pianos?
@Thrilliana (14062)
There are, it is called dampp chaser. But it is not available in any online store here in our country..
@FayeHazel (36012)
@Thrilliana Aw I'm sorry to hear that
@Thrilliana (14062)
@FayeHazel its okay.. i might order it soon from amazon US.
• Israel
@Thrilliana I thought someone fixed the piano for you so why does the piano still sound funny or was that before? I had a humidifier and it was not the answer. I have an air purifier. An air purifier is really good. It gets rid of the dirt in the air.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Yes. Its fixed now. But during rainy season the wood expand because it absorb water from the air. Thats why sometimes the tiles got sticky (will not go up when pressed) and it goes out of tune. That is why i need to maintain it yearly. I also have humidifier for my room for the essential oils. Dehumidifier is to dry the air. I want air purifiers too.. but my piano needs the dehumidifier hehe
• Israel
@Thrilliana Now, I understand about the dehumidifier. For me it was not the answer and my air purifier helps me sleep at night and I need that. I have chronic rhinitis and suffer so much from it in the winter.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@Hannihar oh it can help rhinitis?? Glad it helped you.. i wonder what other things air purifiers can do.
Glad you had it tuned. A dehumidifier works well in our basement.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Oooh glad to hear that... do you run it all day??
@Thrilliana Only during our hot and humid summers. It should help your piano and anything else. Yes, it's run all day and night.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@DianneN oh i see. I will reazearch about humidity in PH first.. i believe we are always humid hahah
I am planning to have this device due to the cold weather lately.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Do you think they work??
@Thrilliana I think it is effective to make the house warmer during the cold weather here.
@Thrilliana (14062)
@Shavkat oooohhh... i didnt know that. So it will make my piano area warm. I think i dont like that
@jobelbojel (20339)
At first it was working fine for me. I used all the free scents that came with it when I bought the humidifier. I have not used it for awhile since I ran out of scent.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Hrhehe that is humidifier. I also have one of that for my room for essential oils. do you use youngliving?
@hereandthere (45706)
glad to hear from you again. do you have students now?
@Thrilliana (14062)
Luckily i have more students now than when i go to pasig. More convinient but teaching online is not fulfilling specially since i teach piano
Yay! Glad your piano was restored. We don't have a humidifier at home
@Thrilliana (14062)
I am glad too because i can use it now. But a little hirt because of the expenses hehehe..
That's a really old piano you got there. Its my deepest regret that i never got to learn how to play it.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Theres no age limit when it comes to music. I have 65 yrs old student in piano she improves very well
Keep and upkeep the piano that you have since it is cheaper for you.
@Thrilliana (14062)
It was only cheap now. But needs to be maintained yearly because we live in a humidy place hehe.
@Raine38 (11307)
I always love the classic look of a piano, but I cab understand the appeal of a digital one. I used to play when I was younger. We have a humidifier because the air inside our house gets dry during winter, what with the heater going it can also create static which I hate. Everytime I touch something, doesn't have to be metal, I shock myself. I am glad you gave your piano another chance.
@Thrilliana (14062)
I love upright piano and grand. But it could get very expensive to maintain it. Thats why im planning on having a digital. Digital is simpler and doesnt need maintenance. But still the piano itself still makes nicer sound. I am happy to know that you also play music. I have humidifier too for essential oil purposes. I know that during winter you also need it. I didnt know heater can make statics. We dont use that here..
@popciclecold (15032)
No don't own neither.
@Thrilliana (14062)
Its okay.. i think my piano needs it. not me.. actually hehe still looking for answers though
@moonandstars (44250)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i don't. i just open the windows. a nce invest, i hope it gets back to you