reading slumps

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I had the best January reading that I have had in a long time! It seemed that each book I read was better than the last book! several of the books I read I put on my list for possibly being the best book I read this year! I also read "You had me at Hola" by Alexis Daria as my FAVORITE BOOK EVER! I enjoyed my reading so much that I just kept reading and read 18 books in January! This month (February) I have read some good books but none of them made me thrilled to have read them. because of that I only read six books this month. I think the "you had me at Hola" was SO GOOD and the fact my reading journal says it was the last book I read last month helped me as I was expecting to read another book that was so good and can't seem to find another one that is so special. I did buy two books that came on Friday and I am going to start reading one today and I think these will bring me out of my slump. fingers crossed! have you ever been in a reading slump and not able to find a great book?
Something I could recommend doing is to not read anything for two days. Instead focus on watching youtube videos or your favorite shows and then come back to reading. Sometimes it just takes a "reboot" to get you back in the mood for reading / finding books enjoyable again.
Thank you! I think i followed your wise advice even before you gave it! I haven't read in four days! I MIGHT try one of the books I bought from amazon and got delivered overnight! as it is supposed to be good and I loved the first one of the trilogy and the third one I have preordered for either march 6th or 9th. I want to have the first two read before I read the third one that talks on youtube has those with advanced copies say it is the best of the three! if I am not thrilled with the book i will put it down and do something else like you said to do!
@Marty1 About once a year or so i will just get tired of reading. I usually will watch lots of tv for a month or so and then go back to reading a lot. What books got delivered overnight? Do you know where your closest amazon fulfillment center is? Mine is forty five minutes away.
@ScribbledAdNauseum I never get too tired of reading. but there are times I will watch tv and read during the commercials. the books I ordered last Thursday Amazon told me they weren't coming until Sunday but they surprised me and delivered them overnight! I have no idea where the closed Amazon fulfillment center is as i never looked into it as I don't get out much so it is a lot easier to have it delivered at home
18 books in January! That is a lot of books
It didn't seem so at the time as each book I read was better than the last! this month those six books I finished felt like a dreaded chore
@Marty1 When you don't enjoy a book, do you still keep reading it?
@marlina that used to be a big problem for me! now, if I start a book and don't like it I stop reading it!
@DocAndersen (34586)
yes normally during proposal review times. When I have to review horrible proposals!
oh no! I luckily can stop reading books that aren't good! if I am not interested in the first few pages of a book lately I stopped reading them! I stopped reading at least three books in January which was such a great month of reading!
@DocAndersen (34586)
@Marty1 There are a few proposals I stopped reading and sent them back to the team with a well, you missed the goal here. books I try to stay in the areas I like. I haven't picked a bad book in a long time!
@DocAndersen I hope you don't get too many proposals that are that bad that you have to send them back! I have been reading my favorite areas, but the books just were not making me excited to read them when I had time to read! glad you are reading such great books! I found one after I posted that discussion and that book is thrilling me so far!
Yes, sometimes I feel I read books that weren't great. My reading club doesn't pick the best books. But they are all pretty good, so I read them.
I stopped going to my reading club at the library as nobody wants to talk about the book! there are a few ladies who talk too much and take over the conversation and that conversation can be anything but the book! I have two new books I got late last week that I may try tonight!
@Marty1 Our conversations are like that too. I am ok with it. We sort of relate what's happening in the book to our own lives and the conversation goes everywhere. It is Zoom meeting. No in person visiting, so I cherish that time.
@paigea my club doesn't even try to relate what is happening in our own lives to the book, they just talk about whatever! they are all older women in their 60s and 70s and I am just turning 50 at the end of this year, so we have nothing in common! My club doesn't have zoom meetings, we don't meet when the library is closed like now
Yes, but lately I have been reading the books included with Prime and they are interesting to me, I like true Ccime and there are plenty out there to choose from, at no cost to me.
Do you get your free book a month before it comes out on kindle with prime? those are the prime books I read, Most of the prime books are in Kindle Unlimited so I have been reading those books on Kindle Unlimited. with how much the books would cost me if I bought each one separately it is a lot more than my monthly $10 and change fee. My January best reading month in a long time had most of the books free from my local library's e-Library! glad you can read those true crime books at no cost! but I admit I just started a new book that brought me out of my slump (after I posted this) and I bought it for full price on Kindle last month!
@Marty1 No, there are multiple. books for free.
@snowy22315 I have to look for those. do you read from anywhere that is not from free prime reading? I spend my time divided between regular books, e-Library books from my local library, kindle unlimited and the books that I buy for my Kindle!
@Tina30219 (66812)
• Onaway, Michigan
I am reading a 16 box set one right now they all have been good. The book you liked sounds good I might have to look it up
@Tina30219 (66812)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Marty1 All same author different types romance and Amish type
@Tina30219 those sound like they are good books! I love Amish romances! how many books have you read of it? are they all full-length books or are they novellas?
@Tina30219 (66812)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Marty1 I like Amish romances also. I am almost done with the whole thing. I think they might be short ones but I could be wrong though.
@kaylachan (13352)
I was turned off to reading at a young age. I think it was because of the pressure put on me, and knowing I couldn't do it. I am totally blind and my vision has declined over the years. I was not permitted to learn brail until halfway through tenth grade, and I know that didn't really help.
Do you like audio books at all?
you have my warm thoughts. can you listen to audiobooks? there are some free ones on youtube
@kaylachan (13352)
@Marty1 I can listen to audiobooks, and I have some free options available to me. I just really have no desire to anymore. If things had been different, and my parents didn't believe that I was being a rebellious kid, maybe I'd enjoy reading. Now a days I read discussion threads, or fan fiction.
I am glad that you found a lot of good books to read.
thank you! This month so far wasn't that great like January, but found two I am reading now and really like!
@Marty1 That's great.
• Rupert, Idaho
Glad that January was a good month with reading, at least....and hopefully March will be better. Since I don't read much, I don't really have that issue, lol. However, I have been reading the Crank series by Ellen Hopkins. Takes me a few months since they are huge and I only read 10 minutes or so a day lol
I found another book after I posted this and love it! it is written by an author who wrote a favorite book of the year that I read in January! It is superb! Good for you reading that series! ten minutes or so a day is better than none! larger books intimidate me lol
• Rupert, Idaho
@Marty1 That's great to hear, I think you mentioned that in the other comment? But that is great. The first 2 books in the series was great....the 2nd is not as good yet...but we'll see. These books have more than 600 pages! But they are written very different than a normal book.
Yes that happens to me too. Once I read and finish a book that is awesome it's hard to get into the next book. I'm currently reading the Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek and it's pretty good. It goes back to the early days when librarians would deliver books on horseback to mountain people in Kentucky
Exactly! The last book I read in January was the best book I ever read and could not get into the ones I started reading in February I read The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek and really liked it! I think I may have broken my slump as I started a book last night that is a contestant so far for the best book of the year. it is written by the author who wrote a book I read and adored in January! Enjoy your book, it is a good one!