Reading differently and loving it more!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I discovered the reading slump I was in for most of February that I wrote about and the fact that as of March 11 I only read one book for the month of was a problem of focusing. I called my aunt Thursday to chat and mentioned that to her. She gave me some sound advice. I was focusing too much on a few people on youtube who do book videos and read around 30 books a month!!! so my aunt says read only for pleasure I should not think i have to read a certain number of books a month. there would days i feel so defeated i didn't read at all. I used to wonder what some words meant and whether words i saw and thought i knew what they meant, really meant what I thought. I used to just skim over those words. now I have been looking up words and phrases in a book i am reading and taking my time and LOVE READING, EVEN MORE, THIS WAY! I also do other things during my day and feel a lot better about reading as i love the book I am reading now, I read most days now and I am enjoying it much, much more remember when you compare yourself to somebody else as I did to those girls on youtube that Mark Twain says Comparison is the thief of joy I also gave up my goal of how many books I will read. do you have a number of books you want to read this year?
Good Morning! I don't have a goal, not like I did last year. I just read what makes me happy. I've also stopped reading a book when it isn't as good as I expected it to be.
Good morning!!!!!!! what was your goal last year? good idea to read to make yourself happy! I am doing that too, The book I am reading now has so far made me happy so will continue with it not finishing a book is a new thing for me, but if it is not good there are others that are great and I want to spend my time reading those!
@Marty1 250 was my goal last year and I surpassed that. You are right, we shouldn't spend time reading things we do not enjoy.
@ScribbledAdNauseum wow! how many did you end up reading last year? I read 147 or 148 one of those two? as i told you, I have been enjoying so many books lately!
@DocAndersen (37998)
focusing is a form of medation! good for you!!!
Thanks for telling me! does that mean focusing is good for me then?
@DocAndersen (37998)
@Marty1 it is very good for you!!!!!
@DocAndersen is there a minimum amount of time I should focus on the book I am reading to get the best results?
@rakski (87867)
your aunt is right, read for pleasure
I am glad I called her to chat! she gave me the best advice!
@rakski (87867)
@Marty1 it is important you enjoy what you read otherwise you will get bored
@rakski I agree with you! I have been reading some great books lately! have you read any good books lately?
Not at all no. I only read when I am in the mood.
I try to read daily as I am always in the mood to read. except if I try to read a book I don't love then I am not in the mood at all to read.i recently decided to only read books that I love!
@Marty1 Sometimes books start out good and then you lose interest in them.
@snowy22315 that has happened to me in the past. it hasn't happened lately. but read a book over the weekend that started slow, but I kept reading to see what happened and ended up loving it!
@Tina30219 (69350)
• Onaway, Michigan
I want to beat my 210 from last year we will see if that happens
Reading 210 books in one year is super! I doubt i ever read that many books in a year in my life! what number are you on now? I know you can beat that 210 this year!
@Tina30219 (69350)
• Onaway, Michigan
@Marty1 I sure am going to try. I am on 40 right now.
@Tina30219 That is a great accomplishment! since it has been some days since I got to read your comment and answer you, have you finished any more books?
• Bosnia And Herzegovina
my only "reading goal" is to read more than last year. and every year i say that and try to achieve it i usually spend time reading books for college and studying so i don't have much time for reading other books. during winter months i wanted to add to my morning routine reading at least 20 pages. i could read many books this way. and i really started with that, but as soon as classes started - that plan came to an end haha i started reading again few weeks ago and then i got a bit sick and i wasn't really doing anything. but i'm going to read again. what are you reading now?
I think that is a good thing to try to read more books each year. I am not trying that this year as I read 147 books last year. way too many to try and read more than that this year reading books for college is considered reading! that is a good type of reading! reading 20 pages a day could really help you read a lot more books. I am sorry you were sick are you feeling better? I am reading "an Irish parade murder (a Lucy Stone Mystery) by Leslie Meier I really like it so far, but I am not too far along so it may turn bad at the last minute!
• Bosnia And Herzegovina
@Marty1 147, amazing i consider reading for my college as studying. not real reading. if that makes any sense (no it doesn't ) i know reading 20 pages a day could help me to read a lot of books, but always something else comes up and ruins my plans. hopefully i'll start reading again. i'm still coughing, but i'm alright. thank You for asking. what about You? i haven't read that (or heard of it), but i hope you enjoy it until the end
@aureategloom last year i cared more about number i think over quality. those girls from youtube I mentioned read 300-350+ books a year i guess it could e considered studying but at least you are using your brain! that is the important part! Yes, sometimes things get in the way. I only go out every two weeks so I have time to read most days I am feeling fine. glad you are getting better! thank you! the book I am reading is part of a series that I have read other books in it and I enjoyed the others so hopefully, this book remains good!
@sallypup (44135)
• Moses Lake, Washington
No goals here. I love artsy books that showcase paintings and architecture. Thanks for a nudge toward reading more.
I am trying to not have huge goals, It is hard though as U have had them being huge for so long that it seems to be ingrained within me. I have some goals, but I am not going overboard with them as I usually do. I still have one goal of at least reading 75 books this year. Arsty books sound great! I admit I don't really read those but would love to and may check them out when the library is open again. they have been closed since late December =( I am happy you got a nudge towards reading more! are you reading anything right now?
@sallypup (44135)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Marty1 Sort of. I listen to audio books with my hubby.
@sallypup that is great! I belong to a service online where I can read as many ebooks and listen to as many audiobooks as I want each month for $8.99 a month and I sometimes listen to a book!
@lazydaizee (3449)
It does not matter how many books you read as long as you enjoy them. I always find that if I read too many, I get the stories muddled up.
I agree with you as I am really enjoying the book I am reading now I will be starting to read a regular book for when my kindle is charging. they will e of different genres though the girls on the youtube videos read several regular books at once and seem to keep the stories straight. I am going at a pace that makes me happy to be reading it!
@Marty1 Some readers concentrate too much on how many books they read rather than how much they enjoy each story. Do you ever visit a website called Litsy ? This is a social networking site for people who enjoy reading.
@Marty1 What was the organisation and was it real?
@Nevena83 (60429)
• Serbia
Yes, you should read for pleasure and not think about the number of books.
I am trying to do that! I think I may unsubscribe to the two people on YouTube who always tell us how many books they read as it is many more than I can possibly read! I end up comparing myself to them. They also bring politics into their channels, I read and watch Youtube channels for entertainment and learning, not about their own views on politics!
@Nevena83 (60429)
• Serbia
@Marty1 The most important thing is to enjoy reading.
@Nevena83 I have been doing that a lot! I have read such good books lately!
I have never set an amount of books to read yet I have read a lot for pleasure in my life.
i used to tru and read a lot of books, now i am reading for pleasure all the time. What is your favorite genre? I think I love mysteries the best
@Marty1 It depemds on my mood. I mayored in Literature at the university, gave classes there and write in my native tongue.
@marguicha We have something in common! I majored in Literature when I was at the University too, I wanted a Ph.D. in it and teach it at the University level but my mental health made it so that I had to leave without a degree
Glad you're enjoying it
Thank you! I have read so many good books lately!
I have books I need to read so that I can then move them on but you're right about the fact that you shouldn't compare yourself to others. It never does any good as there are always people you perceive to be better or worse than yourself. In reality, they are just different rather than better or worse.
I have a lot of books that I need to read too. I love to see books in my house but I have so many books I am running out of space to house them! I am trying my hardest to not compare myself to others but it is hard to not compare to two girls on youtube as they read so much!
Mark Twain says Comparison is the thief of joy, you wrote above and he was so right!
I agree with you about Mark Twain's saying! he was a smart man! I am trying to not compare myself to others, but it is hard
No goal for me, other than to just read. I do not read much at all and I used to love it. Books will be a gift I give myself.
I was starting to not read for a while, But I am just reading slowly and enjoying myself a lot more than I ever had books are a good gift to yourself!
@JESSY3236 (14204)
I don't care how many books people read, I just doing on my pace. I do still use the goodreads counter though. I only read three books so far. I took my time on the pet food book and too I have been busy trying to move into my uncle's house. Now I'm reading a book called Behind Her Eyes and Netflix has a show based on the book. My mother wanted me to watch it. I also have the first Lord of the Rings book on my kindle which I plan to read after this book.