Saturday morning, 3 April--check-in

Good Morning It's 9:40 a.m., and I am up, dressed, taken my daily medications, and Cooper and I have gone out on this brisk morning for a 10-minute walk. He has eaten his breakfast, and is already asleep (again) on the couch. I made a two-egg omelette with a bit of chopped and caramelized red onion, seasoning, and cheese, topped with some tomato salsa. It seems to have hit the spot. I am now finishing up a cup of black coffee. Tomorrow is Easter Sunday It is generally "just another day" for me, but I did buy a small, delicious smoked ham to cook for tomorrow's dinner. I buy one each year from Trader Joe's, as they are smoked, but uncured and have no chemicals used in the processing. RGD will come over for dinner tomorrow. I am not sure what I will serve with it yet, as I am trying to cut down my eating of carbohydrates, having gained about 22 pounds/10 kilograms from this time last year. Getting Back to Walking I have noticed that my foot (the one I had two avulsion fractures from a fall last April) has given me a little bit of trouble on some of my walks. I'm sure that the extra weight doesn't help when certain spots are weaker due to injury. As well, I can feel the effect of the weight on my body, especially on my knees, and on my current endurance. I am trying to get a minimum of 15-minutes of non-stop walking each day; three days a week, an hour each day. As I only just started this pattern, it is hard to say if there are any noticeable benefits. I'm sure there will be, but it will require me to be patient. My Small Garden I am not very good at gardening, but some of you may remember my little garden area in the front of my place, which I shared the past year. In the fall, I also shared what I did to clear it out and cut back the oregano and other perennials I have. Thursday, RGD brought over a steel bar and helped me make a few deeper holes around the front of the area. I found a box of unused (but aging) cedar lattice garden border pieces at the thrift store for $6.00. There were 10 in all, which works out just fine. We got them set up, though I will wait for a week or so to fill in any larger holes, once they settle a bit. I think there is rain in the forecast tomorrow, so I'll let nature do some of that for me. Yesterday, I went out and cleaned up any moss growing in the pots, and turned up the soil. I need to get a bit more soil to freshen it. As well, I need to buy a flat of marigold starts to plant. They seem to be one plant that the deer seem to leave alone. I noticed that my parsley, oregano, mint, rosemary, and thyme are starting to show signs of new growth. I would like to get a couple of pepper plants for a couple of the pots, but last year the deer destroyed the three I had. I will try to get some photos, before there is too much growth. I always like the before, during, and after photos. Need to Get to Weekend Chores I have spent long enough here online. It's already 10:10 a.m. now. There is a load of laundry that is nearly dried waiting for me to fold, and dishes to put away from the dishwasher. Those are the first two things on my list. I need to take apart the stove to wash it, and take care of the refrigerator. Neither will be a big job, as I have kept up on it, but my floors are overdue in being scrubbed. Those are definitely on the agenda for today! Have a good Saturday ahead. I hope all are well, and enjoying your change of seasons. Photo credit: Pixabay
@arunima25 (56330)
• Bangalore, India
A lot of chores on your list there. Walking routine sounds good and I am sure if you are consistent with it, it will help you reduce your extra pounds that you gained. My garden has been ignored for a month now as the carpenters used the terrace space. I just watered the plants regularly. Once the carpentry work is over next week, I will have a lot of muscle work there. Have a good day
Thanks, Arunima. I appreciate the vote of confidence and encouragement. "...muscle work..." My mother used to tell us to put some "elbow grease" in our tougher chores. LOL
@arunima25 (56330)
• Bangalore, India
@TheSojourner "elbow grease". My house is in a temporary arrangement mode right now. Once the work is over by tomorrow afternoon, I will start cleaning and putting things in their place. It's definitely going to be lot of work in coming two weeks. And we definitely would need that "elbow grease"
@arunima25 When you're done there, if you'd like to come and stay with me to help, I'll even give up my bed and sleep on the couch.
@Torunn (7541)
• Norway
Not sure I'm enjoying the season at the moment, but it sure changes fast. Winter, spring, nearly summer, autumn, all in one day :-) I wonder what people talk about in countries with stable weather. Must be weird. Your walking plans sounds good, I'm sure you'll notice progress in some weeks. Getting out to walk is good mentally too I think, especially as spring gets on a bit.
Thanks, Torunn. I hope your weather settles in a bit for you. I beat myself up a bit for the short walks..."I should..." Really trying to give myself a break from the the criticism. Ugh.
@Torunn (7541)
• Norway
@TheSojourner Short walks are better than no walks. There's a campaign here, for walking. Apparantly lot of people don't walk more than 500 meters a day. You'll beat them even if you only do one of the 15 minutes. I'm not sure how it's possible to walk less than 500 meters in a day, I walk that around my flat. To and fro to the kitchen to get more tea for example. Searching for books I've left in clever and not so clever places.
@Torunn 500m is about 600 steps. I have to admit, when I am in one of my depressive moods, I probably have been one of those "less thans"... MOST of the time, when I am just doing regular days without a dedicated walk of anything, I'm at about 2500 steps. I need to commit to no less than 5000 daily soon, and then work my way back up to 10,000 steps a day. It wasn't THAT long ago, I was averaging 12-15K steps a day. Baby steps, Coral. Baby steps. LOL
@kareng (33530)
Your garden sounds like it is coming along just fine. And yes, marigolds are a deer deterrant! We need to get to work on our garden here. I admit we have been a bit lazy, but then again I can't over do it or else I'll be dealing with some serious pain. I have to get ready and run out and pick up some Easter goodies for the grandkids.
I went shopping today, and didn't do a whole lot today. I'll have to try to get plants first of next week.
@kareng (33530)
@TheSojourner All of a sudden we have a lot to do!!
@kareng I am likely going tomorrow for indoor potting soil, and plants. We shall see.
Happy Saturday! Cooper seems to be easy peasy - what a napper! I hope the weather out there is nicer for walks now and that it helps with the feet/knee stuff. I do remember your garden and oh the naughty deer. I think of you when it comes to herbs. Best of luck with the chores. I got through too many chores this week - I'm giving myself a break this weekend for once (except the daily ones that must be done). Got the 1st dose of vaccine this morning with Hubby . . . just gonna take it easy this weekend. Happy Easter to you, Cooper, and RGD!
Glad to hear you got your vaccine. Hope you get through it all without much discomfort. Plenty of water, and rest! Happy Easter.
@TheSojourner I was lucky - no side effects - my arm wasn't even that sore. Hubby had the sore arm, headache, and said his throat seemed a bit irritated - like his glands were swollen in his neck. But by next day he was completely fine. But let's see how it goes for the 2nd dose .
@much2say When is your next dose?
@wolfgirl569 (39058)
• Marion, Ohio
You had a busy day. Try planting a marigold with the peppers. That might help keep the deer away.
I have done it around them, but never in the same pot. I will try that. I didn't get half what I wanted done today. LOL
@wolfgirl569 (39058)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner It wont hurt to try.
@wolfgirl569 I definitely will try!
@edisondanila (42852)
Its Easter Sunday here in the Philippines.
Do you celebrate with family get-together? Do you cook special foods to commemorate the day, or do you eat typical fiesta foods? or daily fare?
@TheSojourner Just a simple meal for our family.
@Ronrybs (11376)
• London, England
When I make an omelette I like to use finely sliced red onion, with chunks of tomato. Sometimes I treat myself with a bit of cheese grated in
That's good, too! I will use whatever I have available.
@kaylachan (16765)
That sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you manage to knock out that to-do list.
If not today, tomorrow. Or the next day. ROFLMAO
@sallypup (44134)
• Moses Lake, Washington
You found a grand buy at that thrift store. I hope your day goes well.
You, too, hon. Hugs.
@prinzcy (22631)
I hope Copper loves walking as it would be great to have company.
Cooper LOVES walking, but is not great on the leash. He has a lot of energy, and is healthy, so I don't have to take it as easy or slow, as I did with Honey, especially at the last few weeks of her life, when her heart was so weak.
@prinzcy (22631)
@TheSojourner he does look live brimming with energy. Going to keep you on your toes that one.
@prinzcy I think you were quite accurate in that! LOL
@LindaOHio (62719)
Thanks for the newsy update. I hope you and RGD enjoy your dinner today. Any kind of exercise is good; just don't overdo it! Looking forward to pix of your garden. Enjoy your day. Hugs to you and Cooper.
Thanks, Linda. I might even change the menu again. ROFLMAO
@LindaOHio (62719)
@TheSojourner Ham still sounds good. We are thinking of getting another one since we finished our Easter ham before Easter. lol
@stephcjh (38893)
Good morning. Happy Easter.
You, as well!
@stephcjh (38893)
@TheSojourner Thank you.