Half Finished

Today is transplant day. yesterday my darling husband gave me 2 pots of flowers. Both are indoor size and will be kept inside. I transplanted the pink hydrangea and still have to do the Easter lily. I'm not really keen on Easter Lillies, but he is very traditional and has always given me a lily on Easter Sunday. The potting soil that I put into the big pot must have alot of manure in it, because the smell in here is less then desireable. I may be sitting this pot outside to let it 'breathe' a bit. ~Photo is mine
The hydrangea is awesome
Thank you, its lopsided, but it is quite full on the side that is showing. The lily will look nice in another day or so when it comes into bloom.
Beautiful hydrangea!
Thanks, it is a full plant. I will try to take a slip from it in a few weeks to try to start another plant.
Gorgeous!
Thanks, the hydrangea is nice and full even though its a bit lopsided.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Your hydrangea looks very beautiful. I hope the smell goes away so that you can actually enjoy them inside your home.
Thanks. I did get rid of the smell. I let the gas wear off outside for a bit, then I put a couple of dabs of lavender essential oil on the outside of the pot, just to make sure that smell didn't return when I watered it.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Juliaacv That was a smart idea with the lavender essential oil.
@moffittjc Thanks, I swear by essential oils for a variety of reasons.
Some potting mixes can be very potent. The hydrangea has a lot of blooms. It's very pretty.
This mix was very strong, I left the pot outside for a bit to let off the gases, it was fine after that. The plant is really loaded with blooms. I was surprised that I didn't break any of the branches transplanting it, as those blooms weigh a bit. I hope to be able to take a slip in a few weeks, if the plant doesn't go into shock after the transplant. Which I really hope that it does not. I put some bone meal in the soil, so that usually helps.
@Juliaacv I wish you good luck with it. I think hydrangeas are pretty tough.
@JudyEv Do you have any small plants that you can put into a container to take with you when you move?
This hydrangea is gorgeous, mine is outside all the year round, there are only small leaves coming out now.
We had 2 that stayed outside in the flowerbed at our old place. I am happy to have something for inside.
Are those hydrangeas?
That is 1 big huge hydrangea. I will let it get climatized to the new larger pot and then try to take a slip from it to start a new plant.
I couldn't deal with all that smell. Lol
Nope, me neither, but its all gone now.
@Juliaacv oh good!
@rakski (87817)
it looks beautiful
Thanks, I hope that it doesn't go into shock after the transplant.
@rakski (87817)
@Juliaacv I hope so too
@CarolDM (126927)
These are beautiful. I have a large hydrangea in the yard and love it. Very sweet of your husband.
We had them in our flowerbeds also, but the outdoor variety that can withstand a cold Canadian winter greatly differ from these indoor ones. I do love a few nice healthy indoor plants, I still have a large poinsetta that is in bloom from Christmas.
@CarolDM (126927)
@Juliaacv Sounds beautiful. Enjoy your blooms.
You probably need to put it outside for it to breathe and you too thay are pretty flowers
Thanks, but wow, what a pungent strong smell. Potting soil is full of 'fertilizer' and I know that is just another term for manure. Its been outside and the scent is a bit better, but I put a dab or 2 of lavender essential oil on the outside of the pot to allow me to keep it inside. It is so loaded with blooms right now, 11 to be exact.
@Juliaacv that's quite a combination of scents....manure, blooms and lavender!!
• Mexico
They look so gorgeous!!!! the hydrangea looks so fluffy and I bet the lily will bloom beautifully
Thank you, the lily should be out tomorrow in bloom.
• Mexico
@Juliaacv awww If u can it'd be nice to see it
I have a pot of pink hydrangea too,but it has not come into (flower) buds now.
They are beautiful aren't they?
@prinzcy (22631)
They're blooming really well.
Thanks, they look gorgeous-the picture just doesn't do them justice.
Pretty flowers, and I surmise they will be marked down after the holiday. I don't dare keep it inside though as it would be a cat casulaty.
Thanks. I would imagine that they will not have alot left to mark down, the producers warned that there will be limited stock due to the pandemic and restrictions as to how many workers they can have in the greenhouses. They will be in demand until at least Mother's Day, they are a favorite to give for that day next month. Cats are harder to keep in line in the home then dogs are. When we had a cat he knew no boundaries, we thought that the baby gate across the doorway of our son's room kept him out, but we found him in there once so we know that he jumped over it. He was given away that same day. Dogs can be trained much easier not to go into certain rooms, and those are the rooms that we always kept fresh plants, especially those that posed a threat to a pet.
@RebeccasFarm (26716)
• Denver, Colorado
Ha! I cannot have potted plants indoors..for some reason this climate here draws gnats to them no matter what. So I have one inside and its in water..its a Pothos. Nice you get lillies each Easter. You got lovely hydrangea there
I have trouble if I put the indoor plants outside during the summer, then they cannot return without having those gnats on them, and there is a danger of them spreading to the other indoor plants, so I keep some indoors and some outdoors. That hydrangea has 11 blooms on it.
Lovely gift from you hubby
Thanks, he loves flowers. He grew up on a small farm where they grew seedlings and then transplanted them into the field to grow vegetables and the flowers they sold on the market and made up planters for customers.
@sallypup (44127)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Lovely flowers. I don't dare have an Easter lily cause they are poisonous to cats. My wild cat jumped up on the dining room table and grabbed a couple of green beans yesterday. Plain steamed green beans. No butter etc.
We do not have any pets so we have no concerns, but when we did, he always got me these flowers for Easter and our dog who was very well trained, stayed out of the room where we kept the flowers in.