I Met Another Neighbor Today

I went downstairs this morning to check the mail, and was gifted a vacuum cleaner by one of my neighbors. And, isn't it funny that we call it a vacuum cleaner even though we do not clean the vacuum when we use it? My mother's maternal grandparents were dirt poor. But, one day in the early 1900s, my great-grandfather had saved up enough money, so he bought my great-grandmother a vacuum cleaner. Having never seen one of them there contraptions in her life, she asked him what it was. He said it was a vacuum cleaner. And, she didn't know what that meant either, so she asked him what it did. He said, "it sweeps the dirt up off the floor," and she said, "so does my broom." But, over time, she learned to use it and appreciate its need. The filter and canister of my new-to-me vacuum needed to be cleaned out before I could use it. But, it is a Bissell, so I know it will work for this space. So, while I am waiting for everything to dry, I am watching all four of Charles Bronson's Death Wish movies. I have always liked watching those films.
@DaddyEvil (37314)
I can just see that conversation between your great-grandparents! Bissell vacuums are good ones! You should get lots of good service from it!
Yes, I should. I have used many a Bissell in my lifetime.
@DaddyEvil (37314)
@Chellezhere I used one when I worked as a night clerk in a Best Western. I had to vacuum the lobby before I went to bed there. We have a Shark. It's one of the best vacuums we've ever owned.
@DaddyEvil I have used a Shark as well. But, all my stuff is still in a storage unit in another state at the moment. So, I am kind of starting over until I can go back down there to get my stuff.
That is very neighborly of the person.
They all seem to be.
@Chellezhere I always love having neighbors and you are going to as well.
@sharon6345 I've had some decent ones over the years.
I am jealous that you have a good neighbor.
I have 31 good neighbors, and they have one as well.
@Chellezhere I don't like my neighbors, except the landlady and her relatives.
@Shavkat It is always good to like the landlady.
Vacuum cleaners are great inventions. You must be just about set up now in your apartment.
Pretty much. There are a few more needs to get. Then, all that's left are my wants. By the time I get my bed paid off this summer, everything should be complete.
@Chellezhere I had to smile about 'needs' and then 'wants'. lol
@JudyEv Have you ever tried to slice an onion with a butter knife?
The German term for these thingies is (translated into English) 'dust sucker'. A perfect term as you must admit as this is exactly what they do.
Yes, it is. You know, my son has a friend in New Zealand who was originally from Kenya, but has spent most of her life in New Zealand. One day, the two of them got into a very hot debate about whether the mechanical device that uses a pump to generate a high-pressure stream of water should be called a pressure washer or a power washer. Each presented compelling arguments that proved that both terms were correct. But, each was still befuddled as to why the other preferred the opposite term.
@Chellezhere German is spoken in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, parts of Luxemburg and also in the very north of Italy. It's not surprising that the same things often have different names in the different countries.
@MALUSE With ancestry from all of those places, I am aware of that.
• Israel
@Chellezhere I also like him. Did not know there were 4 of them. I have a vacuum cleaner and have not used it in ages but will probably use it one day.
Yes, there were four.
• Israel
@Chellezhere I am not sure I ever saw all 4 or just one.
@Shiva49 (19963)
That is a worthwhile day for you. Now vacuum cleaner is a must at home.
Yes, it is.
@JESSY3236 (14204)
I have a Bissel vacuum too. Yesterday I was moving some stuff around so I could set up my computer in here and found some food in the floor. I was going to sweep it up, but I couldn't find the broom. So I decided to use one of the vacuums my mother had put in here. I got the food up and then later I found the broom in one of the bedrooms. lol.
I have used several different "top brands" of vacuums and found that they all suck (in a good way) as long they are cleaned and maintained as well.
@LindaOHio (62719)
That was very kind of your neighbor to give you the vacuum.
Yes, it was.
@Ronrybs (11376)
• London, England
I have a baby vacuum cleaner, as I have a small place, and a carpet sweeper. Handy for quick whizz around
I do as well, but they are in my storage unit hundreds of miles away.
@wolfgirl569 (39058)
• Marion, Ohio
They have changed a lot over the years.
Yes, they have.
• Walnut Creek, California
My vacuum cleaner has been one of my great sources of joy over the past few years, But it is losing its sucking ability. I have cleaned the filter, etc., but it's fading. I may have to buy another. Watching the dust bunnies swirl brings me close to nirvana.
They don't make things to last like they used to.
@rakski (87816)
that is nice of your neighbor!
Yes, it was.
Bidell is a good vacuum you should do well with it
Yes, I have used them in the past.
@kaylachan (16765)
I found that interesting, but I think it's name refers to the fact a motor vaccumes dirt off the floor with supposedly slightly less effort. Though I'll take a mop anyway.
I do know the history, and the reasoning behind the name. But, I was also an English language and literature major, so I love to play with words. I prefer to get down on my hands and knees and use a rag, rather than a mop.
@CarolDM (127022)
That is great to hear. So happy for you.
Thank you.
Yay, I got a vaccum once from one of my neighbors when I lived in apartments too. They were moving out and did not want to take it. It was my lucky day.. In retrospect, I should have offered them some money for it.