Tuesday, 6 April--check-in

It's 10:15 a.m. and I wanted to come in for a quick check-in and to wish everyone a good morning/day/evening, wherever you may be. Cooper and I both got a good night's sleep, I think. We had a tough incident last night, as Cooper showed some major resource aggression toward me last night. He quickly was reprimanded and knew he had done wrong. I hope that this doesn't become a bigger issue for us, but we'll deal with it, as necessary. We will be meeting RGD after his dental appointment this afternoon. I need to buy some potting soil for transplant of my indoor plants, and I want to get a few plants for the outside garden area to plant by this weekend. Then we shall come back and have some dinner. I may forgo potatoes altogether, roast some carrots and broccoli, make coleslaw, and leave it at that. I am just not in the mood to cook much. Well, back to cleaning up some things. Have a good day.
@sallypup (43964)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Uh oh on Cooper being a little stinker. Does he know the "down!!" command? Over here I think that Rufus is starting to calm down and mostly not chase cats etc. etc. Leashing him at night appears to be a God sent idea.
I'm not sure what's going to happen with him. Today we went out for a walk and we encountered a cat. He did not go after the cat. He got within a foot of the cat and I think they would have been friends. I petted the cat and then I petted cooper. Glad that technique is working out with rufus.
@sallypup (43964)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheSojourner Some things about Rufus drives me nuts. He is not so nasty about it but still......grabbing cats by the neck is not acceptable in my house!! Dave loves him to pieces and allows him to jump on him and I say no- I could easily fall if jumped on. I'm glad that you are finding some positive things about Cooper- he was decent to the cat. That's a great sign!
@sallypup later that day, I went to Lowe's. I took him in the cart with me. There were two other dogs in the store and he went absolutely nuts. Jumped out of the cart at one point
I hope the Cooper starts to behave. I love my dog but know that some dogs can be really dangerous.
I don't think he's dangerous, but we definitely have some resource aggression going on.
@TheSojourner Do you think that he´ll outgrow that?
@marguicha at the age he is, probably not. But hopefully, we can curtail it some.
@spiderdust (10280)
• San Jose, California
I have faith that Cooper will figure out that you're the alpha in charge. Skipping the potatoes sounds fine! What's your favorite coleslaw recipe?
Honestly? Cabbage, grated carrot, Italian dressing. LOL
@spiderdust (10280)
• San Jose, California
@TheSojourner Ah, I wouldn't have thought of Italian dressing! That's a great easy idea.
@spiderdust it's the only time that I buy wishbone Italian dressing or kraft.
• Walnut Creek, California
Hope you have a good day as well. How is "resource aggression" defined?
“...the use of avoidance, threatening, or aggressive behaviors by a dog to retain control of food or non-food items in the presence of a person or other animal.” Here is a journal article about it that you might find interesting:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p0mc/articles/PMC6004413/#:~:text=Based%20on%20expert%20contributions%2C%20we,a%20person%20or%20other%2animal.%E2%80%9D
• Walnut Creek, California
@TheSojourner I'll check it out. I thought it might be something like what you described. I'm off to teach guitar now. Did you see that I got FOUR birthday cakes yesterday? And it wasn't even my birthday!
@TheHorse No, I hadn't seen that. It's not even your half-birthday! Hope you enjoyed all that sweetness! Have a good lesson!
@wolfgirl569 (39524)
• Marion, Ohio
He tried and it didnt work. So you are hopefully done with that. Hope you find some pretty plants
Bought French marigolds, three peppers and an eggplant. We shall see!!
@wolfgirl569 (39524)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheSojourner I am waiting for the auctions to start again here. There is one Friday and then the next Friday I think it is they start every Tuesday and Friday again. I am hoping for some good deals early
@wolfgirl569 Yeah, these were too expensive
Cooper must learn to be a good boy, I am sure he understood that he made something wrong. We are having cold and windy days, I had to stop working in the garden.
@LindaOHio (61908)
Your altered menu sounds really good. Lots of veggies. You did right with Cooper. Show him who's boss! Have a great day.
@Torunn (7521)
• Norway
Gullmann says he can teach Cooper to share :-) He's the only horse/pony I know that really don't care if another horse is trying to get to his food, 'cause he is so absorbed with eating. Every meal is the best he ever had. Keeping fingers crossed that he'll figure out that you're not the same "threat" to his food as another dog + kids.
I wish!!!
@FourWalls (32274)
Freckles would do that early in life so I turned it into a game. I’d get behind her and put my hand on what she was guarding. She’d be weird: growling with her tail wagging, like she knew we were playing. I rarely had to take something from her for her safety. Even weirder: she was part beagle, but I’d tell her NO and she’d leave squirrels alone!
We'll see. He doesn't play games like that.
I hope Cooper's sleep is giving you better sleep these days! Uh-oh . . . well you are nipping it in the bud which is good - he will learn the rules of the house. I'm trying to get yard stuff done too. Some days are just not cooking days . . . sometimes I think I could eat stalks of celery and call it a day (but of course the fam wouldn't be too happy about that ).
He sleeps a lot so I'm trying to do well.
@kaylachan (16211)
Hope you have a good day. Hoping things between you and Cooper work out. This is fairly new still, so he might just need a little more time.
He's not going anywhere. He's a good boy, but we just have to define some boundaries.
Enjoy the time together
Thanks!