Yahoo Answers Will Be Shutting Down

Denver, Colorado
Did you ever use them? I never used it to ask a question or answer a question, But I did read a lot of amusing things on there. I still think it is useful. I wonder why they are closing it up on May 4th this year. Oh well, another one bites the dust.
Yahoo Answers is a great knowledge-sharing platform where 100M+ topics are discussed. Everyone learns or shares information via question-and-answer.
@sjvg1976 (18877)
I have not used it but have heard about it from many of my friends.
• Denver, Colorado
Hi Sanjeev. I read it as I said only.
@sjvg1976 (18877)
@RebeccasFarm they used to pay?
• Denver, Colorado
@sjvg1976 Not that I know of.
Oh - I thought they had already shut it down a while back - guess not! That was my place to be well before I ever discovered myLot. I was a leader in one of the categories too! But in a nutshell, the place got stupid. There was so much misinformation and incorrect answers put out there - and trolls - it got disgusting. So I left for good. I was curious just now and looked up my old category . . . yep, it's still stupid .
• Denver, Colorado
Haha I can relate about the stupid. Oh you were a leader see Much you are great
@RebeccasFarm Well, back then the questioner could pick "best answer" out of all the answers. Often it became a popularity contest . . . not about the absolute (or even the correct) answer. So in a search you would find questions with many bogus answers there. Also there used to be a thumbs up and thumbs down. As you can imagine, there were trolls and their gangs making their rounds with the thumbs down (even if your answer is absolutely correct). With people being able to climb up a Leaderboard, you bet there were nasty people there . . . and IF you were a leader, you were often a troll target, just because . There was a gray area too about a rule that you could not "chat" there. Oh I could go on and on. I'm so glad I found myLot!!
• Denver, Colorado
@much2say Oh sounds like it could have been a bit dicey there too at times. I remember on myLot when you could pick the best response too.
@owlwings (43832)
• Cambridge, England
I used to use it a great deal before a friend I had made on Yahoo Answers (and, before that Yahoo 360) invited me to myLot. Because it is too much trouble to go through everything I wrote there, I have requested a download. What it will contain, I have no idea, but I know that I wrote a few useful things there (and many not so useful things). I have rarely been back to it since I joined myLot and my impression of it, on those rare occasions was that moderation had slipped or become non-existent and it had degenerated into a forum mostly filled with spam. I belIieve that, since Verizon acquired Yahoo, they have been quietly culling all of the things they don't want or which cost them too much money to run and Answers is one of them.
• Denver, Colorado
Did you Owl use it a great deal..well hope you got your stuff downloaded then. I did not know Verizon had it.
@owlwings (43832)
• Cambridge, England
@RebeccasFarm I had forgotten until I saw Verizon this and Verizon that popping up all over the place.
https://blog.storagecraft.com/verizon-purchase-yahoo/
• Denver, Colorado
@owlwings Oh yeah..I see it now Owl.
• Israel
By Ocean Tiara @RebeccasFarm I guess I only knew Yahoo as an e-mail. Will they still have that or shutting the whole thing down? When I went in to read what you put here it said not secure and my modem was not working. I am sure we know why it was not working Now, I was able to go into it and it looks like accounts will be the same if read it right. I know people use it as an e-mail.
• Denver, Colorado
Oh that is not good it said not working ..yes we know why No not the yahoo mail just the yahoo answers. Sorry to know that is happening Hanni
• Israel
@RebeccasFarm Yes, I would say we both know why that happened with my modem.
@Nakitakona (40988)
Sorry to hear that dismal news about the shutting down of Yahoo Answers.
• Denver, Colorado
Hi I have not seen you in ages
@Nakitakona (40988)
@RebeccasFarm Sorry friend. I'm terribly budy. Now I have time to be here.
@YrNemo (18855)
I hardly used that one. Thought that one got killed off a while ago.
• Denver, Colorado
Yeah it was hanging in there Darcy
That is sad that it is closing.
• Denver, Colorado
Yeah it is Judy
@thelme55 (66795)
No, I have not used it. Another site going down the drain.
• Denver, Colorado
Yes a shame really
@popciclecold (18445)
I did use it a couple of times, when I thought about selling kids clothes. Strange they are closing.
• Denver, Colorado
Yes strange I find it too Pops
@RebeccasFarm Seems like it would be needed even more so today. Didnt people used to get paid for that using it.
• Denver, Colorado
@popciclecold I dont know about that Pops if you got paid or not
@m_audrey6788 (38432)
I`m not using that features of yahoo. I just go check out my mails Yes. Things change a lot nowadays
• Denver, Colorado
They surely do here one minute gone the next
@CarolDM (126333)
I never used them at all. Competition from Big Tech strikes again perhaps.
• Denver, Colorado
Yes that is exactly what I thought Carol..there is always a motive.
@Namelesss (3338)
I have never cared for them. They pop up every now and again when I'm searching something but the answers are usually a joke. I would never associate my name with them for that reason.
• Denver, Colorado
It is a joke I agree
@prinzcy (22464)
Wow, another one. It's look like they're shutting down one thing after another. I wonder what's next.
• Denver, Colorado
YEs another one bites the dust LIlie