A Sad Loss

My hubby and I lived in a beautiful little rural village for over 20 years. We loved everything about living out there, the bonds of the community, the people and the activities of our church. My husband was elected as Grand Knight of the Knights of Columbus Council in the village. Their mandate was to do fund raising for the church as well as help, on a smaller scale, the grade and high school in the village. Now meetings for this fraternal order are cancelled or held by zoom. They cannot congregate to do fundraising, and people are running on shorter budgets so there is less who are able to give. Churches have not been open to the public since Mr Covid. This directly affects the donations made thru the collection plate. Not all parishioners have pre-authorized debits set up for their donations. As a result, yesterday, he received a news filled email regarding the closure of this church. And although we were not married in that church, we have many memories of occasions spent there. The large old church had a ground level basement which served as a hall. Friends of ours had their wedding reception there years ago. There were lots of chicken and dumpling dinner-dances held there, and as long as we kept the noise to a dull roar until Saturday night mass was finished, we were all good. We even spent New years Eve there one year as there was a family who rented the hall for a huge stag and doe party. Lots of fun times, lots of special times, as new comers to that area, we met lots of friends at that church. It is a sad loss that it will close. Its a bit frightening to realize that places that are the cornerstone of many of our communities are now facing closures.
I am so sorry, it sounds so weird for us to hear that the basement of a church can serve as a hall where people can dance and eat, it is so different for our old catholic churches.
This parish is actually 165 years old. The original building was just made from wood and burned, this is a replacement that they built. It has many stairs leading to it, similar to in the photo, and the ground level is a large, high ceiling hall, with a stage, a bar and a full kitchen. I myself sat on the stage for many parish Christmas parties, as Mrs Claus, helping Santa pass out the gifts purchased by the Knights of Columbus.
@Juliaacv Our local Church is very VERY old, it was built in 1309, all stone church and as all the old catholic churches built in villages, there is a cemetery behind the church.
@Juliaacv That is really sad,
@CarolDM (130225)
So sorry. This is like losing a person, a part of you.
It is, I feel like I lost a huge part of my upbringing. Like if your Gramma's house were suddenly boarded up and you could not go there anymore.
@CarolDM (130225)
@Juliaacv That actually happened to me and Dustin, a long story. I can relate.
@CarolDM I think that we are kindred spirits.
@m_audrey6788 (41216)
That is so sad.
We both broke down and cried a bit. We send a check every December, but not enough people do that. Our son was shocked and saddened when we contacted him as well. He was asked to be an usher at that church one Saturday night when we attended mass and there was only 1 usher. He was so happy to be asked and to pass the collection plate and bring it up filled to the alter.
@Juliaacv I`m hoping that Church here will not close
@m_audrey6788 I had a conversation with my Aunt, who is currently in her 80's a few years ago about the collapse of the Roman Catholic Church. We were discussing so many law suits surrounding various issues, and how it bled the church financially. She thought, at the time, that the church would have to hit rock bottom before it would resurge. I recalled that conversation with my husband last night, and he told me that this is the start of rock bottom.
Oh my, another victim of Covid Sometimes it seems the losses will never stop. Sorry about your church.
Thank you. I am not a huge showy person religiously, but I was raised in a very religious family, and my hubby and I live that life still, it has done us good. It is a sad reality that what we know as good and pure will no longer be there for the younger generations. I cannot imagine not having a huge baptism for a new baby, or so many other reasons, some of which are quiet and private, to go to a church for.
@Juliaacv It is always hard when anything you are attached to like that is no more.
@RebeccasFarm (29062)
I am so very sorry. I truly feel all this is totally unnecessary ..they have destroyed communites.
They are destroying communities, and the younger generations will not know the simple joys that we had.
@Juliaacv Yes that is the size of it Julia. My heart breaks for it.
That's a really beautiful church and so sad that it' closing. With the whole Covid thing and churches being closed it's a shame that the one thing we take for granted has been a victim of the pandemic. I've still been sending in my weekly contributions but I'm sure many people have stopped.
This picture is very close to the picture of our church which is closing. It doesn't have the beautiful, large home beside it which our church has where the priest lives. Working for a bank, I can tell you that a year ago people were still making their donations, but today you would be hard pressed to find someone still doing that. Its so sad to realize that these places, that so many of us associate with such wonderful milestones in our lives, will soon become closed buildings. It just breaks my heart. Imagine no baptisms, or any of the other sacred sacraments, its so sad.
@Juliaacv we have a very small country church here which is still open. I haven't been since lockdown so I'm not sure what the protocol is for attending these days. Before I moved here churches were in dire straits back in NY. One of our very old churches closed and everything was consolidated to the other nearby church. They were saying it was due to finances but also the lack of priests. It is very sad though to see our churches closing because it's not something I would ever see in my lifetime.
@HazySue (37607)
• Inverness, Florida
How sad. This pandemic has brought a lot of losses to many.
Yes, a beautiful empty church in the center of this quaint little country village. And it was the pride of everyone in the area.
@HazySue (37607)
• Inverness, Florida
@Juliaacv It is so sad.
@cherigucchi (11882)
This is really sad. You have good memories though
We have good memories, and our son has good memories, but our son and his wife will never be able to make good memories as adults, like my hubby and I did, as these little churches are closing. Now they just have virtual masses.
@cherigucchi (11882)
@Juliaacv This is something beyond our control.
@thelme55 (68044)
That is indeed the sad news. Sorry about that. That a pretty church.
We have always gone to church, and it is such a large part of the community in which we live.
@Dena91 (12816)
That is sad that the church's are having to close
It is heart breaking when you consider how the younger people in their 30's will not know the joys that our generation found within those 4 walls. No weddings to walk down the aisles of, no big baptism ceremonies at the front of the alter, no quiet time for prayer on a regular Sunday to give thanks for everything that we have and enjoy.
@wolfgirl569 (40019)
• Marion, Ohio
That is sad
The very cornerstone of so many communities. And now they will become an eyesore in the center of these communities.
we had a couple closed it doors.Yes it is very sad.
These buildings were really built to last, and are filled with such beautiful stained glass and wood. I imagine that they will start to fall apart once they are no longer used and kept up. Great to see you, hope that its a good day in your world.
Everything is changing for the worse.
Changing for the worse and changing so quickly. Our son made his first holy communion at that church, my hubs and I had our marriage blessed at that church when we celebrated 25 years. So many wonderful memories of the beautiful voices singing at the Christmas Eve mass, regular Sundays just so many memories and its sad that the next generation will never know those experiences.
@12345Lot (112)
• Nairobi, Kenya
I can relate....The church is a cornerstone to many communities
Communities are changing for the worse with the closure of such places.
That is such a shame. It is awful to think these hubs of community life are having to close.
We lived in a little French village, and the cornerstone of that culture is their church.
@Juliaacv That's very sad.
@YrNemo (19327)
What are they going to do with that church after closing it? Selling it? I heard of the new fashion, in which the rich and wealthy buy old churches then turning them into restaurants, cafés, clubs etc.
I do not know what they will do. The church has to be decommissioned first of all, because it is 'holy ground' and that needs to be dealt with first.
@YrNemo (19327)
@Juliaacv Thanks for explaining this. I was often curious/puzzled whenever I saw another church got sold off to the public, about whether certain ceremonies need to be carried out. (There are plenty of fictions, fancy or horrors type, saying old churches are portals for all sort of weird things.)
@YrNemo There is quite alot of work for decommissioning a church, and it makes good sense and is very respectful.
It’s such a pretty church. Is there a chance that it will open back up someday ?
No, I doubt that they will ever reopen it. There is quite a deal to get a church decommissioned. Its a lengthy process.
@Juliaacv that is sad.
Aw that's sad. Sorry it's closing
That church had beautiful bells that played and you could hear even beyond the village. They programmed a few different songs into the bells and you'd hear Christmas carols when they would chime every hour in December and different songs during the year. It was nice to hear them every hour.
What a pity ! You have so many happy memories of the church.
Thank you. The community gathered on the grounds of the church and in the near by park for Easter egg hunts, for summer chicken barbeques and for so many other events. I cannot imagine them gathering near an empty building.