I just started watching "The Handmaid's Tale"

I just received all three seasons of the television series, "The Handmaid's Tale," on DVD from my library, and have now watched the first two episodes of season one. I have never read the novel (of the same title) published in 1985, by Canadian author, Margaret Atwood, though it had been recommended to me many times. What fascinates me is that the story is set in (about) 2005, which is two decades ahead of when Atwood wrote it, "futuristic" by those standards. Sixteen years after the storyline's time period, it is amazing some of the parallels in thinking from certain factions of today's society. It takes place in (what appears to be New England) in a state called Gilead. It is both totalitarian and theocratic society, most certainly patriarchal, having overthrown the United States' government. People are placed in their groups by their functions in this society, wearing a uniform, which depicts their roles by color of dress. The "handmaids," who wear red to represent fertility, are there to produce children for the "commanders," which is the male ruling class of Gilead. I have not yet garnered enough information of the storyline to yet understand things fully, but I can say that I have seen enough to have felt an array of emotions. It is also troubling to me to recognize some of (what could be seen as) foretelling of what might be in the not-to-distant future.
@sallypup (44334)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Have you read the book or seen the movie The Stepford Wives? The Handmaids Tale runs along that genre; both are creepy for sure.
Never saw that one, either.
@sallypup (44334)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheSojourner Women must follow their 'masters'. if you get my drift. Creepy and kind of dated but there still are many, too many religions that have the women doing 'fascinating womanhood' classes.
@sallypup I am in the 9th episode. This is all too "familiar".
It's a troubling subject and it makes you think if something like this could happen in our modern society.
In some ways, it already has
@TheSojourner I agree. I remember an old movie about a place where people were divided in categories of workers, including "handmaids". Only women were admitted to some "rituals", men who tried to spy what they did were killed. I remember I was impressed and scared. I cannot remember the actors and the title.
@moonandstars (48629)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
11h
and i thought it follows the book in exact way. enjoy watching
9h
That is what I heard about season 1. Perhaps, I should get the book
It sounds interesting. It’s kind of scary to think about how fast life could change if our government, with all its flaws, was overthrown.
It is troubling, at best
Enjoy that show I have never seen it before.
It is not a feel good show whatsoever.