Mother's Day disaster

By JJ
@myklj999 (57993)
Olney, Illinois
(Begun 8 hours ago) - Great start to the day, wake up at 4 AM (which is extremely late for me) and found my Dad unresponsive on the bathroom floor. After spending 5-10 minutes trying to get a response I called an ambulance and he is now in the hospital. I spent 4 hours there with him and then my baby sister came to relieve me because she knows that not only do I intensely dislike hospitals I am also extremely anti-social and don't deal with people very good in the best of circumstances. So now the wait begins to see what they find out. (9 AM myLot time) And 8 hours later all I know for sure is it is going to be a big mess no matter what happens. Dad was given meds to sedate him because he was being aggressive and not coherent, and he is currently still asleep. They are going to keep him at least until tomorrow and I think it will likely be several days. I've talked to half (3) of my siblings so far and between us four none of us think Dad should go back to Carilyn's to stay because she is not in the greatest of conditions herself. The consensus appears to be he should move into an assisted-living home - but he is not going to want to do that. Which is where it will get ugly because what he needs is going to supersede what he might want. So that's been my Mother's Day... Photo is my Mother Judy Marie Collins Ratcliffe Weir Oct 13, 1939 - Oct 02, 2009 R.I.P.
Accepting the inevitable will be hard indeed for your father as it is for many - if not most - elderly people who suddenly can't live on their own any more.
• Eugene, Oregon
Sorry to hear that JJ. I hope his condition gets no worse and that he sees the sense of assisted living.
Hello James, glad to see you here. I hope you are fine.
@myklj999 (57993)
• Olney, Illinois
His doctor insists he go to a full-care nursing home when he leaves the hospital, but right now they still don't know what happened.
@myklj999 How is your Dad now?
I am sorry for your father JJ. I understand that he will not be excited to move into an assisted-living home, but this is the only place where he must go and stay. Not the best Mother's Day for you.
@kaylachan (20419)
He might not like it, but if he can't take care of himself and family can't do it... something needs to be done.
@FourWalls (33516)
I’m so sorry. I had that with my dad. We were going to swear out a mental inquest on him to get his driver’s license from him. Bone-headed parents raise bone-headed kids, and when those heads butt.....ouch. Praying for you and your family.
@kobesbuddy (126285)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I read your other post first, sorry for kidding around about your DAD! I had no idea he was in the hospital, or even sick I worked in an assisted living home, they take good care of residents. What Dad needs and what he wants are more than likely two different things.
@KityCat (6886)
I hope is going better now. Terrible what happened to him
Hope it doesn't get too ugly and that your dad will agree to what needs to be done rather than what he wants.
Oh, that is a lot to deal with. Take care.
@1creekgirl (25818)
JJ, how's your dad? I know it's very stressful.
@myklj999 (57993)
• Olney, Illinois
Moving but not coherent
@1creekgirl (25818)
@myklj999 Have the doctors figured out what's wrong? I'll keep praying for him and all your family.
@CarolDM (136726)
@myklj999 Keeping you and your Dad in my thoughts.
• Midland, Michigan
Our parents never want to leave their homes wherever that might be so I completely understand. It makes sense to put him in a nursing home or assisted facility especially since it's unknown yet why he fell. Good luck on all is that. I hope he pulls through. Maybe you'll find that he has a stipulation that your can stay in the house as long as you're able. I didn't realize your dad lived there part time too.
I’m so sorry. Prayers for your dad and the family.
A hard day for sure, I hope that you get your Dad to accept to go to the place where he can be helped,
@VivaLaDani13 (54806)
• Perth, Australia
@myklj999 Thank you for sharing as well as the update post too. I only wish the very best for your dad, your family and for yourself! Very beautiful photo of your mother. Take care JJ and keep us updated when you're up to it.
You have some difficult decisions ahead. I hope that your daddy improves.
I am sorry your family is going through all of this.
So sorry to hear this and I know how terrible that can be. I will put him in my prayers and I sure hope he will get better and things will work out, Many blessings to you,
@Dena91 (13659)
I am very sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope the doctors were able to find the cause of him passing out. It is never ever easy having to make life decisions for others when you know it is for the best for them but they fight you. We struggled with getting Mike's dad to give up driving when he was in his late 80's. When he couldn't remember how to get home and got aggressive with mom when she tried to tell him we finally put our foot down and said no more. And he eventually adjusted.
@kobesbuddy (126285)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Your mother is a real cutie! She was my age when she passed away, I will be 70 in September.
@BarBaraPrz (31457)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Do the docs know if it was a stroke, an aneurism or a heart attack or maybe something else? And I have to ask: What was your father doing at your house at 4 a.m. if he lives with Carilyn?