Live and Let Live

On Sunday evening, here in the city in which I live, there was a horrible mass murder. A family, the grandmother-74, father-46, mother-44, daughter-15 and son-9, were stopped at a corner waiting to cross the street. Innocently enough, the family was out for an evening walk. The unexpected happened while they were stopped there, and they never made it across the street. A pick up truck jumped the curb and ran all 5 of them down. It is believed that they were killed because they were muslims. The youngest of the group, a 9 year old boy, lies in hospital still to this day, while the rest of his family is now gone. The driver of the truck was arrest a few km's away from that corner, just a block away from the largest mosque in the city. That 20 year old driver now faces 4 counts of murder and 1 of attempted murder. They may charge him with terrorism before all is said and done. Where does the hatred and violence end? Why can't we embrace each others' differences instead of what too many of us have read about? We need to live and let live.
LONDON, Ont. — A Muslim family of five out for an evening early summer stroll were mowed down by a driver in an "act of mass murder," the mayor of London, Ont., said on Monday. The deadly attack on Sunday evening, denounced as terrorism by one Muslim group
Oh my goodness, I read the news this morning, I did not know it happened int he city where you live. I read London, I did not notice it was London, Ontario and not UK.
It is so very sad. That 9 year old little boy is going to live, but has no immediate family left now. There is alot of unrest within the city, and even within the muslim community itself. The arabs dislike the pakis who dislike the serbs who dislike........they all come from countries of unrest, so you would think that now that they are in a nice country where they can live freely, they wouldn't be so judgemental themselves. The accident occurred about a 15 minute drive from where we live.
@Juliaacv I know that there are a lot of hate among the Muslims coming from different countries and communities. What a shame the humans cannot live in peace.
@Juliaacv That was not an accident. It is puzzling how all the people who dislike each other come together in a neutral place and then cause trouble. Was the murderer of any particular race?
@msdivkar (22983)
Shocking to say the least. Why we are killing innocent in name of religion is beyond understanding. This has to stop somewhere.
Shocking and disgusting is all that comes to mind. I know that they will prosecute this individual to the fullest extent of the law. But it does little to ease the fears of those of that religion here, they must be terrified.
@msdivkar (22983)
@Juliaacv In cases like this, it is not only the person who commits crime is at fault. There are many more who support and encourage him to do it are equally responsible.
@msdivkar I do not know of anyone who is Islamophobic, and I never want to meet anyone like that.
So sad that this family were victims of mass murder because they were Muslims. I pray each and every day for all this violence and hatred to end. I don't remember it ever being so bad.
You're right, I do not remember it ever being this bad either. Its so sad to think of the heart ache that the little 9 year old will feel when he is thru the shock of losing his sister, mother, father and grandmother. I cannot even fathom the pain that he will feel.
@Juliaacv that poor little boy. I hope he has some loving relatives that will take him and give him a wonderful life
@Marilynda1225 The family has resided in Canada for about 15 years, and the majority of their family is still in Pakistan. I know that there are some relations here that will take him in. His mother was working on her PhD in mechanical engineering, she was brilliant.
@popciclecold (20929)
This is indeed a very sad post. Serms.as if the hatred is growing with every waking day. So very very sad.
Its a shame that we cannot live and let live, regardless of what we feel and think.
It sure appears that way
That is so sad. I don’t understand why some people have so much hatred.
It saddens me to think that people have to be so ignorant to the differences we share as a community.
@Dena91 (13889)
How terribly sad. When I worked as an EMT (level 1 paramedic) I saw some of the ugliest parts of humanity, some of the best too. The heart is continually evil. Sad, just so sad.
Yes, very sad. Witnesses at the scene describe heroic efforts of the first responders on scene but also the average citizens who were passing by. And who would not go out of their way to help in such a cause?
@prinzcy (27795)
That's really sad to hear.
It is heart-breaking.
@Nevena83 (64461)
• Serbia
As I read this post, it was also featured on our news. It is horrible how much hatred there is in the world, but unfortunately I have to say that many countries have supported some nations when they have destroyed other nations in other countries. When it came to them, now it’s a problem.
This incident is not how the majority of us feel, not in this city, we are very inclusive.
That is so, so sad. Just awful. Some people are so bigoted.
Very bigoted.
OMG that is terrible!
A very dark day in our city.
I saw this terrible news last night and could not believe my eyes! What's wrong with some human beings?
Not a good week to be a Canadian is it? Between this horrific incident as well as the findings out west late last week.
@Juliaacv Findings out west???
@BelleStarr Yes, so difficult to imagine. There are many support groups for missing and abused indigenous women in Canada, but I had no clue.
Preliminary findings from a survey of the grounds at the former Kamloops Indian Residential School have uncovered the remains of 215 children buried at the site, the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation says.
@wolfgirl569 (41438)
• Marion, Ohio
So sad. Hope the boy makes it. This world is so full of hate anymore.
I hope that he makes it also. The local news has stated that he will make a full recovery.
@wolfgirl569 (41438)
• Marion, Ohio
@Juliaacv That is a good piece of news from all of that.
@wolfgirl569 That and the fact that they caught the driver responsible for this.
That is horrible. You don't really hear much about stuff like that happening in Canada. So sorry...and just leads to more hatred. My grandfather used to go to a heart clinic in London many years ago.
@Juliaacv That is really sad, I hope whomever gets custody of him, will teach forgiveness to him. I really don't know...these days people from that area go to the Cleveland Clinic which has an excellent reputation and is closer.
@snowy22315 He faces 4 counts of murder and 1 of attempted murder and maybe facing an act of terrorism.
@Juliaacv I meant the child
• Eugene, Oregon
I can't believe the callousness and evil impulses that people are capable of. It seems that there is no end to it.
It is such a sad state of affairs, and now a little boy is left an orphan.
• Eugene, Oregon
@Juliaacv The world is an uglier place each week it seems.
@1creekgirl (25883)
That is so heartbreaking! That poor little boy, losing his whole family. Such evil in this world. I'm so sorry.
Evil is the word to describe that crime. I cannot begin to imagine how that little boy will begin to comprehend what happened when he was hurt.
@1creekgirl (25883)
@Juliaacv i pray he has good relatives to take cate of him.
That is horrible, I can't fathom that kind of hatred, it is incomprehensible. I hope the little biy gets better but he has lost his whole family, poor little guy. He is Jack's age!!
The little boy is expected to make it, but what scars he will have on his heart forever. The Premier of Ontario will be here today as there is a vigil being held, and he has stated that they will relax the covid restrictions for those in attendance as well as those going to the mosque. The world wars taught us of hatred, but this is living war, living hell for people who live in fear. And yet so many of us do not harbour that hatred towards their religion or anything else. Its just such a sad state of affairs.
@Shiva49 (21643)
Cannot understand why so much of hatred for another just like us. Hate begets hate.
Honestly, I cannot understand it either. I learn from the differences of other people, and respect them.
@CarolDM (138554)
I read the story and thought of you. How tragic.
Carol I live in between where the people were killed and where they caught up with the truck that was responsible for it. That poor little boy, he has lost so very much, his family, his trust in mankind, so much just by going out for a walk.
@CarolDM (138554)
@Juliaacv Oh my, I know that really gave you a scare, and the little boy is all alone now. Why do these things happen is my question. They should not be allowed. So much evil and hatred.
@CarolDM The world is full of hatred and discrimination, here you are discriminated for being white. People have no respect.
@ladyhero (3608)
I feel like crying reading it is really barbaric, without him knowing their mistake by arbitrarily killing other people. that's really not allowed. No Muslim is allowed to kill another person without cause. sorry for my harsh words
I have shed many tears over this senseless act. No person, regardless of their religion is allowed to kill another person without cause. Your words are not harsh, they are reality, this was such a hateful and painful killing.
That is sad, and oh so wrong. It is grievous. People should not act that way.
We tried to watch the vigil last night online, but it was so terribly sad. People gathered at the site of the accident and formed a human chain all of the way from there to the mosque where the vigil was held. I hope that some, who live in such fear, are able to feel comforted from the vigil and realize that they are not hated by most.