Frugal Cooking: Complete proteins with beans and rice

I love having conversations with people from around the world and learning how to cook differently. Many of our friends here on my lot are vegetarians, so they use beans and rice to make those complete proteins. Though I eat meat, I often eat vegetarian or vegan meals. There was a time in my very early adult life that I was vegan almost primarily. I learned much about food combinations and nutrition. It also gave me a way to experiment with the kinds of herbs and spices that are used in different cultural cooking. As well, I use onion and garlic, tomatoes and very flavorful additions. I just decided to show what I currently have in the way of what some call pulses, beans, legumes, and rices. I used to eat brown rice, but I can't eat that as much anymore so I don't buy it often. Do you have a lot of beans, lentils, and rices in your pantry? Photo is my own.
@prashu228 (36624)
wow..Its looking like Indian cupboard with all those lentils .. yes we use all those rice and varieties of lentils..beans..everything..
I KNEW you would agree!! I keep trying to tell @vandana7 that I must have been Indian in a previous life, or that the gods are preparing me for my reincarnation to an Indian life ahead! ;-) Wait until I rearrange and share my spice cabinet. LOL You see my double-jarred (to control odor) asafetida!
@prashu228 (36624)
@TheSojourner wow ..God has good plans definitely... you use asafetida as well...oh wow...
@prashu228 I do. I bought the LG brand.
@sallypup (48117)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Almost every week my hubby and I eat either a lentil based meal or split peas. Yesterday I made black bean burgers from left over canned beans.
Once I get through my freezer of meat products, after eating the already prepared leftovers that are frozen, I am likely going to make bean burgers. I just need to find some good recipes.
@sallypup (48117)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TheSojourner Mine would probably bore you. But they got the job done. Just black beans, whole wheat flour, garbanzo bean flour and juice from the bean can. Chopped onion. Garlic powder. Soy sauce. We put pineapple salsa on top.
@sallypup That doesn't sound boring. Please don't make that assumption. I haven't made a lot of patties of the vegetarian variety. I did used to make my own seitan, though. It was a GREAT substitute for my chicken fried steak and gravy. Used cashews to make the cashew gravy, after frying those things up. YUM.
@divalounger (4845)
I am a beans and rice girl! So many delicious ways to cook it!
I agree. I tend toward a heavy spiced/herb flavor.
@TheSojourner I tend toward curries
@divalounger Me, too. LOL Onions, garlic, tomatoes, and spices galore. I even have asafetida and fenugreek in my spice cabinet. Most haven't a clue what to do with them. They make the difference, in my opinion.
@florelway (20325)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
I like white beans prepared with tomato sauce but I cannot come up with a taste similar to the one in cans like Hunts.
I like them, too, but not the canned Hunts style.
@florelway (20325)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@TheSojourner how do you make it?
@florelway have you ever cooked beans from the dried form?? I use the small white beans (also called Navy beans) . Here is a copycat recipe for you for the British style Hunts beans. I think you will find it similar to what you get.
https://www.recipetineats.com/homemade-baked-beans-recipe-heinz/
My grandmother always mixed legumes with other grains. I donĀ“t think she knew why it was done. Her mother and before that her grandmother had done the same. Now I add rice to lentils and to garbanzos. Fried bread crumbs were added to dry bean soups. My grandmother also added somerimes mashed hard boiled aggs to lentils.
I think that the "old folks" knew some things instinctively.
@TheSojourner Just like aspirin was not "created" by a lab.
@marguicha I don't know how aspirin was created.
I have a lot of rice in the pantry, garbanzo beans, a bag of mixed beans and two bags of lentils.
What type of lentils do you like to use?
@TheSojourner My favorite lentils are the large green lentils. I tried the red lentils, they are good for some Indian recipes.
@LadyDuck I love the flavor of the French lentils. I've also eaten the black lentils that they call beluga lentils. I don't buy them very often because they're extremely expensive, but when you cook them they keep some of their shape and resemble caviar.
@maratai (6196)
Wow, there are so many types of your beans, my friend. This is really a very nutritious food
@maratai (6196)
@m_audrey6788 (53235)
Not too much lentils and rice. I have to control eating too much
I have to control the same, but it's certainly much cheaper than the meat proteins, and we don't have to eat too much for the benefit.
@TheSojourner Yes. That`s right
@prinzcy (33007)
No bean nor lentil, but I do have rice. I also have glutinous rice but we rarely eat that.
I have the glutinous rice flour to make a certain sweet rice cake.
@andreea_v (186)
When I discovered lentils and how delicious they are, I have included them on our menu. I like to cook lentils because they cook really fast and don't need to soak in water for a long time. I usually wash them (I use red lentils) and put them to soak in water. In the meantime, I chop some onion, carrots and celery (another delicious vegetable), peppers and put them in a pan with oil, salt, black pepper powder, turmeric and 2 bay leaves. After the vegetables are done, I add in the lentils and mix until cooked. Excellent food!
That is a great way to cook them. It's not unlike how I cook them, especially the French lentils
@moonandstars (54883)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i wish i have lentils but rice, i always have it. i like your collection
Thank you so very much
@LindaOHio (75324)
Your pantry looks fabulous! So organized. I enjoy beans, lentils and rice; but my husband pretty much sticks to baked beans.
All the pulses are so nutritious.
Not really
I have a can of chick peas and a small bag of jasmine rice in my cabinet.
This doesn't even show my canned beans. LOL